+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Do I need a double pram for a 3yo?

My DD will be just over 3 when baby no.2 is born, I currently have a BJ Versa and it's still in great condition. I'm not sure if I'll need to bother with a double pram.

DD still uses the pram now but I'm thinking over the next 9 months that might drop off a bit, but then I'm worried about taking 2 out and having DD run off.

What do you think?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD was 2years and 10 months when DS was born so just about 3 and I got the Bugaboo Donkey.

I don't use it at the shops very often but I do use it around the neighbourhood, walking to the beach or if i do a "walk" with both the kids or if I am somewhere I need them both contained for an amount of time.
    We pick DD up from daycare and I take it as its a bit far for her to walk home.

We do a lot of walking around our area so it's useful to me.

Sometimes I just put DS in the seat and take my ergo and if DD is tired put her in the pram and DS in the ergo like when we go to the farmers markets.

I was glad I got one, it's been really useful to me but dependent on your lifestyle j think As well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    It entirely depends on the child. I bought one when I had my second. My eldest was 3 and a half. We walked to kindy every day across very busy roads and I wanted to make sure she was safe. But I didn't use it at the shops or anywhere else. We lived in the inner city and walked a lot of places. But mainly DD1 went on her bike or scooter and I just pushed DD2 or carried her in a baby bjorn.

My kids as babies hated the pram but tended to like it once they were older and would get tired if we were out for long periods. So I found I used the double pram with a toddler in it and the baby in the carrier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree on depends on the child. My DD is a bit of a runner but I have found just having my city mini to be ok. I have the glider board which she stands on or she sits just in front of her brother where his feet go. Sometimes I'll have him in the carrier, especially if he needs to nap or if I need DD contained and I'll pop her in the pram.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My toddler will be 2.5 when number 4 is born, and I will definitely need a double pram, because he is a terrible runner. I can not possibly keep him safe and look after baby at the same time if I can't contain him. I am a baby wearer too, so technically I could just wear baby and have a single pram, but I like to cover all my bases. There will be times that I'll need to put both down and have both contained. If your 3 year old is a trustworthy type who doesn't run off you may not need the double. I personally would probably prefer to have one anyway... just in case.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends on your child. Will she run off? Will she stay by your side?

I had a tandem pram when my second daughter was born. Dd1 was 2 and a half and while I knew she wouldn't run off I still found it easier to have both in the pram..

A few years later when Ds1 came along (and dd2 was 2) both of them were in the tandem pram.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Thanks for the replies, it's hard to know with DD, she's not necessarily the running off type although she can be absent minded and wander off, it's easy to keep an eye on her but with 2 kids I'm thinking that would be harder.

I think I'd feel safer with a dual pram but they're so expensive and I'm kicking myself now for not buying a double to begin with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It depends on the child and what you use a pram for.

I use ours when we go to playgroup, it's only in the car park outside the building so DS1 happily walks/runs inside.

I don't really window shop/browse. With 2 kids it's not relaxing pram or not as I doubt DS1 would just sit there so I get a trolley and we get in and out for food shopping or I do click and collect. I will duck into bigW if needed but don't do more than that unless I can leave DS1 with someone as I don't enjoy myself.

Walking to neighbours (same as a neighbourhood walk as were semi rural) I wear DS2 and DS1 happily walks.

If we go somewhere like a market etc on the weekend usually I will wear DS2/pram and DS1 will either walk or DH will carry him when needed.

We do have a second hand double that's huge and cost $80. We've used it twice in 10 months for a long walk in the summer when DS2 was just born and when we went to the zoo. Both times DS1 wouldn't stay in the pram!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS was almost 3 when number 2 came along and I'm so glad I didn't get a double. Definitely didn't need it. I could just push the single and hold his hand. Never had an issue. I'm pregnant again now and DS2 will only be 20 months when number 3 comes so I'm definitely getting a double this time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it depends on the child, if they are used to walking and hand holding, and what sort of lifestyle you need. None of my kids ever used a pram after about 2.5yrs old - they walked everywhere. I had a little cheapie stroller for travel or long zoo days - but it usually eneded up as a trolley for carrying junk!