+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Travel consent

Hi hubbers, my DH will take our DD1 overseas for a short trip during the next school holidays. Apart from her passport, does he need a travel consent from me because I'm not going with them? We don't want to be at the airport and find out that they can't travel because of missing documentation. Both our names are on her birth certificate. TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Travel consent

I don't think so... I travelled a lot when I was a kid with my mum and she never had anything like that. That was 20 ish years ago (yikes, I'm that old!) so not sure if things have changed.

Also passports don't have the parents names on them and you don't need to provide a birth certificate at the airport so immigration wouldn't know who your child's mother was or what the custody arrangement was anyway?

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would double check with your airline, and with customs and immigration. there can always be changes made that the general public might not be aware of. I had a situation with an exchange student when he was returning to his home country, so there can always be something different, that might be a concern. marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think you only need consent forms if child is travelling by themselves. As your child will be with her dad there should be no issue

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Check with the airline, but I think it's fine.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Travel consent

Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Which is irrelevant. What they want is proof that the travelling parent is actually taking the child on a holiday and not abducting them.

Quite common for one parent to take a child on "holiday" - usually back to their home country and never return. That's why there is The Hague Convention on international child abduction to try and prevent this from happening.

At least a letter "approving" of the travel from the non-travelling parent somewhat lessens the risk as you wouldn't sign one if you thought the other parent wasn't going to return.
    But the website you provided earlier said that this was not needed to depart Australia, just the child's passport.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Op perhaps just go on the smart traveller website or a travel forum i use is pretty good if you need any extra info

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Checking with the smart traveller website and then the subsequent embassy's/consulates is pretty much the only option.

Since OP hasn't stated which country/ies they are travelling to and requirements are individual to each country - all we can do is offer up speculation as to whether or not they'll need a letter.
    Are you trying to just argue everything I say?

The op also might like to use the travel website for other things as well if they are keen travellers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Poppy View Post
    Are you trying to just argue everything I say?

The op also might like to use the travel website for other things as well if they are keen travellers.
    Um.. meredithgrey agreed with you... how is that arguing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Perhaps its the way it is written. Im not really interested in the bh clique group joining together thanks. I just asked if she was she said no and thats fine.