+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    916
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked
    494
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default 6 week old suddenly not napping :(

    Hey mummies,

    I'm after some advice. My 6 week old DD was getting into a sort of predictable routine. A nap after breakfast from 9-10.30am ( this is where I would sleep ).. About 40 minutes mid day ( where I shower and eat ) and late arvo for a couple of hours where I'm usually out in the pram.

    She had her vaccinations Saturday slept A LOT the following day. Sunday night was horrendous with me getting about 3 hours broken sleep and then Monday she didn't nap at all.. Not more than 25 minutes. By 4pm I was so run down I had to go for a walk in the Ergo to stop going mad I was so tired. She eventually slept at 11pm.

    The night was better with only one wake up feed from 11pm to 6.30 but today already she has missed the morning nap..

    Do babies suddenly stop napping pretty much all day at 6 weeks or could this be an over hang of unsettling from the vaccinations?

    I've tried white noise and dark rooms and feeding to sleep etc.. As soon as I put her in her bassinet she wakes up again.

    I can cope with broken nights but no respite in the day is making me grumpy with her which I don't want

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4,450
    Thanks
    1,897
    Thanked
    1,149
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default 6 week old suddenly not napping :(

    My dd did the same from 6-14w
    Only on 20 min sleep 7am- 11pm
    She slept 6 hrs straight at night
    By 14w (3months) she was doing
    10 hours straight at night and three 30 mins naps in day

    Yours sounds very similar to our story. It's hard having little or no naps in the day isn't it. My dd hasn't slept more than a total of 1.5 hrs in the day since 10 months
    She started doing one 30-45 nap a day then
    Last edited by Kazza78; 11-08-2015 at 11:17.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    790
    Thanks
    669
    Thanked
    367
    Reviews
    11
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think at that age they don't really have much routine. My ds2 is 7 weeks and daytime sleeps are all over the place. Some days when his colic is really bad he will sleep for 10-15 min at a time multiple times a day and other days will go 3 hours. I think you are very lucky if you are getting some decent stretches at night and if you only have one baby take advantage and try to go to bed early so although you have a broken night you can get more hours in. Certainly having daytime rest is great but hard to rely upon so try not to factor it in and if you get it great.
    I feel your pain though! Right now all I want to do is have a nap after an awful night and my ds1 only has one nap a day so it's now or never but ds2 has different ideas!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    916
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked
    494
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

    Default 6 week old suddenly not napping :(

    Thanks ladies.

    When I say decent night I mean I get a total of maybe 5-6 hours but that's broken into two or three halves. When she's up for a night feed we can be up for an hour on average.

    So basically that morning nap was my only chance to catch up. 😞

    I've also been going to bed as soon as DH gets home at 6.30 so I can get an hour before the night shift but yesterday she cried the whole hour so it was pointless as u could hear her..

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,280
    Thanks
    2,364
    Thanked
    1,919
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't have any advice @amiracle4me but I'm in the same boat. My girl is 6 weeks tomorrow and at the moment she is feeding anywhere from hourly (during the afternoon mainly) - 4hourly (rare). During the day does not want to sleep. She will fall asleep on me but as soon as I put her down she's awake in minutes. Yesterday fed/held her constantly for 6 hours. Overnight she's feeding every 3 hrs and each feed takes 45 minutes, if she doesn't settle then I'm looking at 1.5hrs sleep between (if I can go back to sleep straight away!). I'm putting it down to growth spurt/leap and hoping things will get better soon as I'm pretty exhausted and also can't get a thing done during the day. I have a carrier and wrap which I bought out of desperation last week so will try get her used to the wrap this week so I am at least not tied to the couch all day with her.
    I feel for you!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    916
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked
    494
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hey @gingermillie

    I remember we cycled together

    Thanks for your reply. Sounds like we're the same pretty much. It's just so odd as DD had been the same for a couple of weeks and I thought we had turned a corner and I was actually coping. Now we're back at square one and i have no idea what to expect from the day.

    Maybe she's actually a slow starter as we got through the first leap unscathed and now she's cranky at 6+4.. God knows.

    Sending you hugs while I sit here propping my eyes up with match sticks.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,057
    Thanks
    2,308
    Thanked
    1,390
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Following!

    My 7 week old DD does not nap at home during the day at all. She never has. She will nap in her pram and the car if we are not at home. Sometimes we go out just so she will nap and I can have a break from holding her.

    What has saved my sanity is that she sleeps really well at night. The issue is that during the day I can't shower, cook, clean, basically do anything without her crying as she's not happy to be put down. So I get the bare essentials done (shower, laundry, get dressed, use the toilet, do dishes) while she cries but can't justify to myself to let her cry for the sake of a clean house so I don't get any cleaning done. My supply of pre-cooked dinners that I made before she was born is starting to run out and I'm going to have to start cooking soon. And I know this is selfish but I want a clean house!!! I have never wanted to be able to clean so much in my life. I sit on the couch feeding bub looking at all of the dog fur on the floor...

    DP works away so it's just me in the house. And we co-sleep so I can't cook, clean, etc at night as DD will only sleep if I'm in the bed with her.

    Sorry. I have no advice!! I've just kind of turned this into my own vent... Not that I want others to go through this but it's kind of reassuring knowing that I'm not the only one.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,057
    Thanks
    2,308
    Thanked
    1,390
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    I don't have any advice @amiracle4me but I'm in the same boat. My girl is 6 weeks tomorrow and at the moment she is feeding anywhere from hourly (during the afternoon mainly) - 4hourly (rare). During the day does not want to sleep. She will fall asleep on me but as soon as I put her down she's awake in minutes. Yesterday fed/held her constantly for 6 hours. Overnight she's feeding every 3 hrs and each feed takes 45 minutes, if she doesn't settle then I'm looking at 1.5hrs sleep between (if I can go back to sleep straight away!). I'm putting it down to growth spurt/leap and hoping things will get better soon as I'm pretty exhausted and also can't get a thing done during the day. I have a carrier and wrap which I bought out of desperation last week so will try get her used to the wrap this week so I am at least not tied to the couch all day with her.
    I feel for you!!
    Yup this sounds like me... I'm sure I've made a dent in the couch as I rarely leave the same spot.

    DD sleeps ok at night though and I can only imagine how exhausting this would be if she didn't. If I was wearing a hat I'd take it off for you

    I have a wrap and it's helping. Bubs likes it about 50% of the time.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    916
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked
    494
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Following!

    My 7 week old DD does not nap at home during the day at all. She never has. She will nap in her pram and the car if we are not at home. Sometimes we go out just so she will nap and I can have a break from holding her.

    What has saved my sanity is that she sleeps really well at night. The issue is that during the day I can't shower, cook, clean, basically do anything without her crying as she's not happy to be put down. So I get the bare essentials done (shower, laundry, get dressed, use the toilet, do dishes) while she cries but can't justify to myself to let her cry for the sake of a clean house so I don't get any cleaning done. My supply of pre-cooked dinners that I made before she was born is starting to run out and I'm going to have to start cooking soon. And I know this is selfish but I want a clean house!!! I have never wanted to be able to clean so much in my life. I sit on the couch feeding bub looking at all of the dog fur on the floor...

    DP works away so it's just me in the house. And we co-sleep so I can't cook, clean, etc at night as DD will only sleep if I'm in the bed with her.

    Sorry. I have no advice!! I've just kind of turned this into my own vent... Not that I want others to go through this but it's kind of reassuring knowing that I'm not the only one.
    Hi @babyno1onboard

    Jeez! That sounds rough! Poor you.

    I'm the same. The dirty house is doing my head in. I know friends have had a cleaner for the first few months to help if that's a viable option?

    I'm with you regarding the crying. Yesterday was the worst day we've had in the whole 6 weeks and I didn't shower. Today I just left her to cry while I did as its all that makes me feel human.

    I'd swap you for a good nights sleep. 5-6 hours broken and no naps is burning the wick at both ends for me.

    Ironically she's just passed out in my lap. 😐

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,057
    Thanks
    2,308
    Thanked
    1,390
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    Hi @babyno1onboard

    Jeez! That sounds rough! Poor you.

    I'm the same. The dirty house is doing my head in. I know friends have had a cleaner for the first few months to help if that's a viable option?

    I'm with you regarding the crying. Yesterday was the worst day we've had in the whole 6 weeks and I didn't shower. Today I just left her to cry while I did as its all that makes me feel human.

    I'd swap you for a good nights sleep. 5-6 hours broken and no naps is burning the wick at both ends for me.

    Ironically she's just passed out in my lap. 😐
    I hope it improves for you soon!! I had a couple of days when I didn't get out of my PJs.. I think that fact alone made me feel worse. I've decided now that no matter what I will get dressed and get out of the house, even if it's just for a walk around the block, because even if I don't feel like doing it I know it will make me feel better.

    I had been wanting to vent on here for a while but had refrained as I know that there are many other out there doing it tougher (like you) as they aren't getting a good nights sleep.

    I used to have a cleaner but let her go when I started maternity leave thinking I'll have plenty of time to clean seeing as I won't be working 50 hrs a week. Bahaha!!! I'm still laughing at that one.

    Hang in there. There will be bad days and there will be good days. The good days make it all worth while


 

Similar Threads

  1. DS sensitive with hands suddenly
    By dwink23 in forum General Child Health Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-03-2015, 12:39
  2. cat napping 40 mins
    By newmummy82 in forum General Sleeping & Settling Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 17-10-2014, 14:08
  3. 9mo suddenly changed her routine
    By XmasDayBub in forum General Sleeping & Settling Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13-10-2014, 17:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Pebblebee
Parents spend hours looking for things they need NOW. The keys, the remote, darling daughter's treasured teddy. Stop wasting precious time looking & start finding with Bub Hub reviewed Pebblebee Smart Tag. Simply attach a Pebblebee and find it fast.
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
The MAMA Centre
Pregnancy, birth & beyond care with your very own midwife. Home & hospital birth support, VBACs, antenatal & postnatal care by medicare eligible midwives & holistic health practitioners. Massage, chiro, naturopathy, yoga, counselling & beauty therapy
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!