Closed Thread
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    My bold but I'm I've just caught up on this thread and I'm kinda bummed at how it's gone off on a tangent. It would've been nice to have a place for people to feel less alone.
    I knew there was a reason why I believed that was the intention

Sorry for my participation in the tangent though!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (11-08-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (12-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I knew there was a reason why I believed that was the intention

Sorry for my participation in the tangent though!
    It's all good. Just disappointing that these threads always go the same way.
    I really applaud Sonja for starting this thread though xx

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (11-08-2015),HollyGolightly81  (11-08-2015),LoveLivesHere  (11-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I don't mind a bit of debate so long as it's respectful which I believe it is.

It would just be nice for certain members to adjust their views about other peoples kids and what they are capable of in terms of sleep. Even amongst those friends of mine who were rabid sleep trainers there is a general acceptance that it doesn't work for every child.

It's only on here you find it.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (11-08-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (12-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Not every child will sleep

Why should some members adjust their views and not others? When did the sleep referee come in and declare one side as being the most correct?

Only on Bub Hub

Ps I agree it is great to see this thread is mostly respectful unlike the thread that this was a spin-off from.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (11-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Default Not every child will sleep

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Why should some members adjust their views and not others? When did the sleep referee come in and declare one side as being the most correct?

Only on Bub Hub

Ps I agree it is great to see this thread is mostly respectful unlike the thread that this was a spin-off from.
    No not only on Bubhub. Honestly VicPark I really don't care what you say on this topic. I have been parenting for 10 years and know a lot of people who have had children. I have never met anyone as dogmatic in their views as you on this topic. Never.

And where is the harm VicPark in your admitting that maybe some kids do wake up and that's ok? Why are you so strident in your views. I have been involved in many threads where I change my views. Other people's experiences on here give me a new perspective. I am not insisting you change your views. Just disappointed that you are not even open to the idea.
    Last edited by Sonja; 11-08-2015 at 22:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Only on Bub Hub

But VP...many on the side of 'non-sleep trainers' are saying that they believe a routine helps and that sleep training does work for some, and I can say I definitely believe that SOS worked for you, so there's not really a view to 'change' for many of us. But you kinda are saying you don't believe parents when they say their kids are 'just bad sleepers.'

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (11-08-2015),atomicmama  (11-08-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (12-08-2015),smallpotatoes  (12-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    But you kinda are saying you don't believe parents when they say their kids are 'just bad sleepers.'
    Sort of but not quite.

I agree development plays a role however where older kids (without medical issues) consistently wake through the night yes I am saying I don't agree with the majority parents when they say the night wakings are un-fixable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    I don't want to pick on you, but I will pick on the sentiment, if VP isn't allowed to quote a stat she believes to be the ballpark of reality (in her opinion), then sorry but no one on the other end of the opinions are allowed to quote that it's less than that.

The reality is VP doesn't know, nor do any of us!!! We are quoting anecdotal evidence, not specific studies of sleep.

TH isn't the only sleep expert who says there are ways to get children sleeping better / there are plenty. I've mentioned Sarah Blunden for example - check out her website. She's a paediatric sleep psychologist. I'd hazard a guess that 90 out of every 100 children she sees will sleep better after using all of her advice (which by the way doesn't involve controlled crying or the TH method) http://www.sleepeducation.net.au/Dr%...%20Blunden.php.

In fact I'd be interested to get her take in how many kids in her opinion can sleep better with her gentle methods! I really do think they would be quite close to the figure VP is quoting.
    But @A-Squared what you don't appreciate is that every time these stats are trotted out it's a little stab to the heart of a sleep deprived mother reading Bubhub. I know she's not accurate so I don't care but I've had 4 kids and enough life experience to know one person's opinions on here don't matter to me.

Sorry but I strongly believe if someone is to make these assertions they should be accurate. No one on here is saying the sleep training won't work with 9/10 babies so why do it?

I created this as a safe place for people to share their stories about their children and their sleep so maybe those who held strident views could open their minds.

Clearly I failed.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (11-08-2015),HollyGolightly81  (11-08-2015),LoveLivesHere  (11-08-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (12-08-2015),smallpotatoes  (12-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sort of but not quite.

I agree development plays a role however where older kids (without medical issues) consistently wake through the night yes I am saying I don't agree with the majority parents when they say the night wakings are un-fixable.
    Funny...I thought even older children still went through developmental phases...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (12-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    And where is the harm VicPark in your admitting that maybe some kids do wake up and that's ok? .
    Good point. I've said in previous threads that it's ok if a kid wakes at night. It's only a problem if the parent is concerned that the night wakings are having a negative impact within the family unit.