+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default WWYD - leaving young child alone in Drs waiting room

I'm currently waiting to see a GP, along with about 25-30 other people - it is packed here. There was a lady and a little girl who is about 7 here, and I was watching the little girl as she was playing nicely with all of the other kids. She started to get a bit boisterous, then VERY boisterous, running around and shouting. I looked around for her mum and can't see her so I am assuming she is in with the doctor. She's now opening each of the Drs doors, looking for her mum (while there are other patients in there).

If you were that mum, what would you do? I just find it bizarre that someone would leave their young child in a waiting room without adult supervision but maybe I'm overprotective.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Very strange, not something I would do

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Probably not something I would do, but she may have had her reasons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    She's now walking around asking everyone in the waiting room if they have a pencil sharpener. I think if your child isn't mature enough to sit and quietly keep to themselves, they shouldn't be left alone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The first thing that comes to mind is that given its a doctors centre its possible the mother is getting really bad news and didn't want the daughter to hear.

But in general, no I wouldn't leave my child alone in the waiting room. If they behaved like that I'd be mortified. Did the receptionists try to stop her when she was running and opening the doors? I know its not their job to 'babysit' at all, but I would expect them to try to find the girl's mother in that scenario.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default WWYD - leaving young child alone in Drs waiting room

Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    The first thing that comes to mind is that given its a doctors centre its possible the mother is getting really bad news and didn't want the daughter to hear.

But in general, no I wouldn't leave my child alone in the waiting room. If they behaved like that I'd be mortified. Did the receptionists try to stop her when she was running and opening the doors? I know its not their job to 'babysit' at all, but I would expect them to try to find the girl's mother in that scenario.
    Good point, I didn't actually think of that.

The Receptionists are around the corner from the waiting room so although they would have heard the noise, I think they would have assumed that the parent was there to deal with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    She's now walking around asking everyone in the waiting room if they have a pencil sharpener. I think if your child isn't mature enough to sit and quietly keep to themselves, they shouldn't be left alone.
    Yes, this. I could leave my 7yo, and would under certain circumstances, ie bad news, papsmear etc, but he would sit still in a chair with a book and not bother anyone at all. in saying that though, if I had an appt where I didn't want my child with me, I'd try and get an appt in school hours.

I would be peeved if I had to put up with what you and other patients where subjected to today.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Very similar thing happened to me the other week. The boy was around 2-3 and the mother got called in, she hopped up and left the boy there. She was gone for 10 minutes or more while the boy throw toys, tried to hit and snatch things off my girls.
    If the child doesn't have the maturity to sit there and wait patiently then he/she shouldn't be waiting.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would leave my son now and he's 5. If I felt it was necessary ie I was discussing things I didn't want him to hear, but didn't have a choice but to take him. In that case, he would have very explicit instructions- if he needed me, I was in *that* door, or the receptionists were *there* if he needed anything. I think a 7 year old can be reasonably expected to behave themselves for 15 minutes on their own.
    I think though in a GP waiting room I would be very loathe to pass judgement on the situation- who knows what the mum is going through! If it were a waxing place yeah I'd climb into my judgey pants, but GP, nup. Mum could have far bigger fish to fry than whether her DD is behaving and supervised for 10-15 minutes.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (10-08-2015)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The other thing to consider is if mum is getting bad news, DD could be acting up far more than usual- she could usually be the type of kid who would sit still. We all know kids pick up on our stress and react to it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (10-08-2015)