+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 3 month old sleep solution help?!

My LO is 12 weeks old and i feel like im at breaking point in regards to his sleeps.

Up until 3 weeks ago it wasnt great but i could sustain it. We woukd rock him to sleep...naps would last about 40mins..at which stage he would wake and we would attempt to put him back to sleep sometimes sucessfull sometimes not.

Now however. We rock and bounce him to sleep. This takes alot of effort, he wont even let us sit to do it. After about 30mins he will fall asleep, only to then wake every 10 mins. Takes another 15ish to put him back to sleep for him only to sleep another 10. We do this until we can no longer get him back down. All up he would still get about 40mins of sleep per nap. During the days i sit beside him for his sleep hoping to catch him before he wakes up too much. He wont go to sleep if we co sleep either, he requires rocking and bouncing.

So far we have tried to wean back how much we do but he just refuses to sleep. And last week i did 7 days of the pick up out down method to no avail.

I have got to the stage where i am willing to try anything. Please help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 3 month old sleep solution help?!

I'm not sure if this idea suits your family however the only way I can get DD (7 weeks) to sleep is to co-sleep. I've tried everything else and to save my sanity have just resided to co-sleeping. It doesn't help for day sleeps but at least we are all getting a decent nights sleep and feel refreshed each day to cope. It's not for everyone though so not sure if my post is helpful!

But hang in there, something will work, even if it's just time for bubs to grow out of this stage.
    Last edited by babyno1onboard; 10-08-2015 at 10:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Co sleeping hasnt worked. He still requires the rocking bouncing. And will still wake up at the same intervals and need to be put to sleep in the same way.
    So pretty much no different to being in the cot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is he being wrapped? Using a dummy? My first instinct would be to say that you need to wean him off the rocking and patting. It will take some time and it will be frustrating as heck, but well worth it. Rock and pat him until he's drowsy, but not asleep and then pop him down in his bed. Try patting him or rocking him from side to side while he's laying in bed if he gets upset. It's also important to know the difference between a protest cry and actual distressed cry. Giving him a chance to self settle before going in to help is super important. And are you watching tired signs? It's super hard to get to sleep and stay asleep when he's overtired.

Thanks
    Reviews
    honestly, with my little one, she was the same. and I decided that no I wasn't prepared to spend the next however long (because it's a habit then) rocking, bouncing etc. i would get nothing done, plus the baby only got heavier which did my back in. I tried the swing as well. in the end I had to let her cry and stick to my guns. after a few exhausting days she was getting the message. she's fine now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you putting him down in the cot once he's asleep? Will he sleep longer if you hold him? I'm just thinking that he's probably seriously overtired at the moment and it would probably be helpful to try and get him more sleep for a day or two before trying to wean off the rocking and patting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He is both wrapped and using a dummy. He hates his wrap but if he isnt in it his arms fly up in the air every few seconds. If he realises he is swaddled he will put in a good quite 10 min effort getting those arms out.

Overtired had crossed our minds. We spent the weekend before last letting him sleep on our chest for every nap to try and get on top of it. He would get an hr each time. He would stir but a pat on the bum would put he back under. But it didnt change anything when we went back to the cot. How long would it take to catch up on his sleep?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitterFarts View Post
    honestly, with my little one, she was the same. and I decided that no I wasn't prepared to spend the next however long (because it's a habit then) rocking, bouncing etc. i would get nothing done, plus the baby only got heavier which did my back in. I tried the swing as well. in the end I had to let her cry and stick to my guns. after a few exhausting days she was getting the message. she's fine now.
    How old was she? And what process did you use?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    You said he escapes the swaddle, have you tried any of the zip up or Velcro Swaddles?

Google love to dream swaddle and Woombie swaddle. They can't escape those.

Have you got any kind of 'routine' like feed, play, feed, sleep and try and get bub to sleep after the same time interval? I think at 3 months, you should be trying to put bub down after 1.5 hours awake.

I found clock watching more effective than tired signs watching. Unless of course it's only been an hour awake and Bub is yawning and grizzling. Then I'd put bub down a bit earlier. You may find he has 4x 40 minute naps and that's okay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by louisey81 View Post
    He is both wrapped and using a dummy. He hates his wrap but if he isnt in it his arms fly up in the air every few seconds. If he realises he is swaddled he will put in a good quite 10 min effort getting those arms out.

Overtired had crossed our minds. We spent the weekend before last letting him sleep on our chest for every nap to try and get on top of it. He would get an hr each time. He would stir but a pat on the bum would put he back under. But it didnt change anything when we went back to the cot. How long would it take to catch up on his sleep?
    Even after a weekend of that, you'd still have to wean him off the rocking. When he's well rested, then start with the weaning off. What's happening is that he's going to sleep with the rocking and patting and then when he gets to the end of a sleep cycle, he wants that again to go back to sleep. That's why you need to wean him off it, putting him down drowsy and then attempting to settle him in his cot. Then slowly he can progress to self settling. If he seems to hate the wrap, maybe a different style (arms up in the love to dream one, or arms down).