+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks - that is correct, Capped Excess 1 per calendar year with BUPA. Sorry for the wrong info.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Happy to explain,

Firstly, my comparisons with Teachers Health and Bupa were done on a Single membership, Full Government Rebate for me, NSW, 29 years old. All this gets taken into account with the quotes...quotes will significantly differ if you have a higher income/not eligible for full rebate etc.

Quote was for:
    Top Hospital and Essential Extras/Young-Budget Extras Package with Bupa (older product I am still on)

-I found, Teachers give back Less overall on Extras when doing a few item number quotes (item 500 is physio for example) ....and then compared to Bupa Member's First providers (making sure I use the current network of providers, which I do).

-Teachers were only $10-15 more per month in the end, but since I've been with BUPA for a long time, and on an Extras package (Young Extras - 70% back ) that is no longer available to the public, i have decided to stay with Bupa.

-It was easier to just call BUPA in the end and up hospital to Top tbh.

-My Hubby is on Teachers Health actually, we'll review once we have a baby for Family level. He also earns a lot more than me, so upping the cover to Family from now meant that we were not eligible for a higher govt rebate, as our household income increased substantially.
    As an FYI, hubby does not use the Teacher's Dental clinic (which is in Ashfield Sydney and does not like it) and he just usually pays a small difference to see his Dentist of choice near home.

-As I am 29 I am happy to stay on a low extras package..... I don't claim a lot when I did a review of my account over the last 2-3 years.

One Sales person I spoke with at a Health Fund said;
    Paying a bit more for higher extras limits is fine...ONLY IF you claim all the time, as there can be individual item quotas and caps which some funds will impose.

-For me, on average, I only claim twice yearly on preventative dental, 2 pairs of glasses each year, 3-4 physio appointments and that's all...

-Currently thru Bupa, I am getting 70% back on extras, Members First Network, which suits me for current Dentist and Physio I see. Specsavers are also included on that and I get 2 free sets of glasses each year with them for watching movies, non essential - just long distance/night driving. They also check my eyes/photograph the back on eyeball etc.

-So no point in upping my extras package or changing this level of cover...For pregnancy - The key extras may be, Phyio &Antenatal Classes. AN Classes are about $400 and NIB offer about $350 back on this, I think Bupa offer $250 on a top level of excess cover.
    For AN classes Teachers were only paying $76 per birth on singles rate for Antenatal classes.

Of course, it always will suit your individual health needs on what level of cover is best.

- If I was to change funds, I am thinking of NIB in the New Year. They cover quite a bit in their Core Extras/Top hospital ($30 a month more) when I did the research, although have never dealt with them personally
    ...so interested in anyone that may have feedback on transitioning to NIB.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Acadaca View Post
    So can you explain why you went with Bupa instead of TUH? My calculations out Bupa at $100 per month higher than Tuh...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Correct,

Standard Hospital with BUPA is only pregnancy, if you need IVF - you must be on Top Hospital.

And yes, Excess is capped at per person, once a calendar year.

Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    I'm with Bupa and went in to speak to them the other day about this... IVF is covered, but ONLY on top hospital cover. Otherwise all that's covered in your basic/mid hospital cover is pharmaceutical products which is a standard on most policies. They also told me there's a 12 month waiting period before you can claim on any IVF requirements (which is no good for us as we will need IVF sooner than that). Correct that excess is once per year per person on the policy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks,

Correct, it depends on your family household income as to what level of rebate you get from the government.

That rebate tier for Single vs. Family cover will ultimately impact the overall cost.

Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    Medibank needs u to upgrade to family if you need bub to be covered. Bub can be added right after birth. I also look at single vs family. it turns out that it isn't a huge difference in term of monthly premium so we went straight to family plan. We didn't pick the top cover as it works out more expensive. I thought about Bupa because the annual limit for extra is combined. That means I can use hubby share. Also, I think the policy I looked at with Bupa also covers partner accommodation for birth. But the premium is so much more expensive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi - interested to understand why you upgraded to Family cover before the baby was born?

As Bupa advised as long as the baby is on the policy within 60 days from birth date, they will be covered for Special Care and ICU ,hospital admissions etc?

Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    ( reminder I'm with bupa) Good point we needed to change to family just before first bub was born so she could be covered if need be.
    Also look at policies surrounding kids after they are born.
    Bupa is gap free hospital for kids, not sure about the others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maybeebaby View Post
    Happy to explain,

Firstly, my comparisons with Teachers Health and Bupa were done on a Single membership, Full Government Rebate for me, NSW, 29 years old. All this gets taken into account with the quotes...quotes will significantly differ if you have a higher income/not eligible for full rebate etc.

Quote was for:
    Top Hospital and Essential Extras/Young-Budget Extras Package with Bupa (older product I am still on)

-I found, Teachers give back Less overall on Extras when doing a few item number quotes (item 500 is physio for example) ....and then compared to Bupa Member's First providers (making sure I use the current network of providers, which I do).

-Teachers were only $10-15 more per month in the end, but since I've been with BUPA for a long time, and on an Extras package (Young Extras - 70% back ) that is no longer available to the public, i have decided to stay with Bupa.

-It was easier to just call BUPA in the end and up hospital to Top tbh.

-My Hubby is on Teachers Health actually, we'll review once we have a baby for Family level. He also earns a lot more than me, so upping the cover to Family from now meant that we were not eligible for a higher govt rebate, as our household income increased substantially.
    As an FYI, hubby does not use the Teacher's Dental clinic (which is in Ashfield Sydney and does not like it) and he just usually pays a small difference to see his Dentist of choice near home.

-As I am 29 I am happy to stay on a low extras package..... I don't claim a lot when I did a review of my account over the last 2-3 years.

One Sales person I spoke with at a Health Fund said;
    Paying a bit more for higher extras limits is fine...ONLY IF you claim all the time, as there can be individual item quotas and caps which some funds will impose.

-For me, on average, I only claim twice yearly on preventative dental, 2 pairs of glasses each year, 3-4 physio appointments and that's all...

-Currently thru Bupa, I am getting 70% back on extras, Members First Network, which suits me for current Dentist and Physio I see. Specsavers are also included on that and I get 2 free sets of glasses each year with them for watching movies, non essential - just long distance/night driving. They also check my eyes/photograph the back on eyeball etc.

-So no point in upping my extras package or changing this level of cover...For pregnancy - The key extras may be, Phyio &Antenatal Classes. AN Classes are about $400 and NIB offer about $350 back on this, I think Bupa offer $250 on a top level of excess cover.
    For AN classes Teachers were only paying $76 per birth on singles rate for Antenatal classes.

Of course, it always will suit your individual health needs on what level of cover is best.

- If I was to change funds, I am thinking of NIB in the New Year. They cover quite a bit in their Core Extras/Top hospital ($30 a month more) when I did the research, although have never dealt with them personally
    ...so interested in anyone that may have feedback on transitioning to NIB.

Thanks
    I only have hospital and am in Qld so I think we are comparing apples and oranges. ;-). I can't go past TUH for price on hospital only...would love to though as I'm currently paying $208 per month and WAS on $180 only a few weeks ago. They've scrapped mid level cover recently. Did a quick search today and the closest I could find with full rebate on a family cover was $240 a month. :-S

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Acadaca For This Useful Post:

maybeebaby  (10-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks,

Correct, it depends on your family household income as to what level of rebate you get from the government.

That rebate tier for Single vs. Family cover will ultimately impact the overall cost.
    Yes. For me, the single premium (with OB & related service + extra that i need included would be $150 after taking into account rebate. For DH, For his single hospital only, no extra, it would be $100. The cost is $250. Both with $250 excess per annum. With a family plan, we are paying ~$280. That's $30/month more with only $250 excess rather than $500 excess (total if we take it out as single). He also gets extra just in case he needs dental work for example. Thus, the decision to go straight to family. I have been to hospital so many times this year that it has made our $ worth at this point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi - interested to understand why you upgraded to Family cover before the baby was born?

As Bupa advised as long as the baby is on the policy within 60 days from birth date, they will be covered for Special Care and ICU ,hospital admissions etc?
    Because a single policy can't have another person on it.
    You will be changing policies from single to family. It's that change where there is the grey area.

Thanks
    Reviews

11. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

maybeebaby  (11-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry from bupa site :

Planning for a baby

If you are thinking about starting a family we recommend that you contact us to check whether your current level of cover includes pregnancy in advance. This is because a 12-month waiting period applies to pregnancy (including childbirth) and assisted reproductive services.

No waiting periods will apply to the newborn provided they have been added to the appropriate family hospital cover within two months of their birth.

http://www.bupa.com.au/health-insura...ing-your-cover

13. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

maybeebaby  (11-08-2015)