+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Any Social Workers out there?

Tell me about your career! What do you do? Are you employed part time/ full time? What are the hours like? Do you love it? What does your actual job entail? I am considering enrolling in Diploma of Community Services at TAFE next year. I have a Bachelor of Early Childhood Teaching and I have had ten years experience working with children and families. Does anyone know if this would count towards recognition of prior learning/ give me a step up in the job search process? Do employers prefer tertiary qualifications? TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, I am a social worker and I do love my job!! I have a bachelor and masters of social work and am employed by NSW health. Social workers employed by govt departments usually enjoy much better pay and conditions compared to NGOs.
    To call yourself a social worker in Australia you need to have eligibility to the Australian Association of Social Workers, minimum 4 year SW degree. However I think if you already have a previous bachelors degree there is a 2 yr masters program that will qualify you. Have a look at the AASW website for more info.
    I currently work as a child counsellor PT hours and it's very rewarding.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillac For This Useful Post:

bubbasmum  (08-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm a Social Worker also and like Lillac have a 4 year undergraduate degree and a masters degree. A Diploma won't allow you to be employed as a Social Worker so like Lillac mentioned, check out the qualifying masters program.

I work as a hospital Social Worker, I'm a shift worker and on a flexible parenting agreement which allows me to work part time while my kids are not at school.

I love my job although self care and excellent supervision is essential to avoid burnout. Happy to answer other questions.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

bubbasmum  (08-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys. So can you give me a bit of a run down of a typical day in your line of work? I guess I am better off going back to uni to get my quals...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes if you want to be employed as a social worker you will need to go back to uni.
    I work in community health so my typical day consists of providing outreach counselling services to families and children - either home visits or in a community health centre. There is a bit of travelling by car involved in my job. When I'm in the office I'm writing case notes, reports, liaising with stakeholders, and other professionals. There's also lots of admin involved in NsW health such as recording stats, etc.

There's lots of meetings to attend and case reviews with the clinical leader. I also have clinical supervision every month as it's absolutely essential in this line of work.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lillac For This Useful Post:

bubbasmum  (08-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I attend ward rounds, triage my inpatients and fit them in amongst my booked outpatient appointments. Organise family meetings, write a lot of chart notes and assessments, make referrals to external organisations.

Supervise students and more junior staff, attend peer and individual supervision. Attend professional development and departmental meetings.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

bubbasmum  (08-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like it is a rewarding career. Did you guys find it hard to get a job once you graduated?
    @Lillac when you say clinical supervision what do you mean? Is that when you are supervised while you are attending to a client? Sorry if that seems a silly question!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hope I'm not crashing too much here, but might be something that @bubbasmum might like to know too - but are the requirements for Social Workers different in different states?

Only asking as OP and i are both in Qld and most of the positions advertised in social work in qld ask for "tertiary qualification" in social work. According to all of the info I have found (aqf & human services websites, plus a few business/uni related pages) a diploma is considered to be a tertiary qualification. Certificate level quals are considered as post-secondary quals.

So I'm a bit confused as to what level I'd need to study at...? :/ Are you lovely ladies able to help with that at all??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    Hope I'm not crashing too much here, but might be something that @bubbasmum might like to know too - but are the requirements for Social Workers different in different states?

Only asking as OP and i are both in Qld and most of the positions advertised in social work in qld ask for "tertiary qualification" in social work. According to all of the info I have found (aqf & human services websites, plus a few business/uni related pages) a diploma is considered to be a tertiary qualification. Certificate level quals are considered as post-secondary quals.

So I'm a bit confused as to what level I'd need to study at...? :/ Are you lovely ladies able to help with that at all??

Hi there . I'm a social worker in Qld. It is not different between states, you need a minimum of a bachelor degree in social work to work as a social worker. I understand what you are saying about tertiary qualifications, but the only tertiary qualifications for social work are a University degree. Other degrees or diplomas mean that you could get work as a support worker , community service worker, alcohol and other drugs worker etc, depending on the title of your course, just not a social worker .
    So I can't look back now but the OP said something about a diploma of community services ( I think ? ) so that means she had tertiary quals in community services not social work.
    Hope that makes sense.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashram For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (09-08-2015),Lillac  (09-08-2015)