+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Passports - how strict are they?

I'm having so much drama filling in passport paperwork, tearing my hair out at the moment! And I'm afraid I've just realised something that's going to cause even more drama. All my life my name has been a hyphenated name, let's use Jamie-Lee as an example. But I've just checked my birth certificate and it says 'Jamie Lee' no hyphen. Yet on my marriage certificate, and my daughters birth certificate it definitely has me with the hyphen. Do you think this will cause drama for me?

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Um in my experience they are pretty strict, sorry to say.

I can't remember what ID is required. Do you have to have your birth certificate or will something else do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You need your birth certificate.

And yes they're very strict.

I would call them, explain your situation and ask them directly what to do

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go as per your birth certificate as this will be the main ID they use. DH has a space in his surname, but we realised his birth certificate has it as 1 word. We had to go as per birth certificate because that's what they photocopied for ID. From memory you need a couple of points of ID so try and pick ID with same spelling as birth certificate.They are super strict usually.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph12 View Post
    Go as per your birth certificate as this will be the main ID they use. DH has a space in his surname, but we realised his birth certificate has it as 1 word. We had to go as per birth certificate because that's what they photocopied for ID. From memory you need a couple of point They are super strict usually.
    If I could get away with just the birth certificate I would but need to submit my marriage certificate too grrrrrr if I have to pay $200 for a change of name for one tiny little line I will cry!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok the births deaths and marriages website says I can apply for an amendment on a certificate. So I could apply to amend my marriage certificate to not have the hyphen...wonder if that will work!

Thanks
    Reviews
    They are SO strict! I find nothing more stressful than applying for passports!!! (Mind you I've had one my whole life)...

I had a similar problem, although it was DH'S surname misspelled on our marriage certificate (due to one of the ID's used for the marriage certificate had the wrong spelling), so when I went to use my marriage certificate to change my name for my new passport, I only had the option of using the wrongly spelled surname (which I didn't want!), I attempted to amend my marriage certificate - however that wasn't allowed either!! (They explained that because there wasn't an actual error in the spelling (for example a typo, human error) & we signed off on the marriage certificate documents, then it wouldn't be amended). My next option was to do a legal change of name. Which I did - then that wasn't enough for some reason (this was years back so I don't remember why!?), I ended up needing to do a Stat Dec at the post office & that was the only way I was able to get my new passport! (It was the 3rd post office I had dealt with who explained the Stat Dec could be done - all the others were just extremely rude & basically said too bad, it can't be done!)

It was such a hassle - but it had to be done as I had already booked a flight in my married name, which couldn't be changed! A complete PITA! Hopefully you're able to work out an easier way!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Passports - how strict are they?

Quote Originally Posted by Just*Ace View Post
    I'm having so much drama filling in passport paperwork, tearing my hair out at the moment! And I'm afraid I've just realised something that's going to cause even more drama. All my life my name has been a hyphenated name, let's use Jamie-Lee as an example. But I've just checked my birth certificate and it says 'Jamie Lee' no hyphen. Yet on my marriage certificate, and my daughters birth certificate it definitely has me with the hyphen. Do you think this will cause drama for me?
    I had exactly the same thing happen to me, but it was my middle name. Everything but my birth certificate had a hyphen and it was never mentioned or an issue when I got my passport. Haha I had other issues with my passport, but no one ever questioned the hyphen or lack thereof

Probably best to call them for peace of mind though. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Curby View Post
    I had exactly the same thing happen to me, but it was my middle name. Everything but my birth certificate had a hyphen and it was never mentioned or an issue when I got my passport. Haha I had other issues with my passport, but no one ever questioned the hyphen or lack thereof

Probably best to call them for peace of mind though. Good luck
    Oh gosh I hope they don't even notice! I think I will go to one post office on Monday and ask them, and if they say no I'll try another post office and see if they even notice lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTimeHasCome View Post
    They are SO strict! I find nothing more stressful than applying for passports!!! (Mind you I've had one my whole life)...

I had a similar problem, although it was DH'S surname misspelled on our marriage certificate (due to one of the ID's used for the marriage certificate had the wrong spelling), so when I went to use my marriage certificate to change my name for my new passport, I only had the option of using the wrongly spelled surname (which I didn't want!), I attempted to amend my marriage certificate - however that wasn't allowed either!! (They explained that because there wasn't an actual error in the spelling (for example a typo, human error) & we signed off on the marriage certificate documents, then it wouldn't be amended). My next option was to do a legal change of name. Which I did - then that wasn't enough for some reason (this was years back so I don't remember why!?), I ended up needing to do a Stat Dec at the post office & that was the only way I was able to get my new passport! (It was the 3rd post office I had dealt with who explained the Stat Dec could be done - all the others were just extremely rude & basically said too bad, it can't be done!)

It was such a hassle - but it had to be done as I had already booked a flight in my married name, which couldn't be changed! A complete PITA! Hopefully you're able to work out an easier way!!
    So I wonder if that means I won't be able to amend it either?? Was the stat dec just to say that it was an error and that *** is your last name and they accepted that? Wonder if that would work in my situation