+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD went through this stage and DP was always more successful at changing her when she was being really wriggly. He put his left forearm across her torso and change her that way. I didn't have the upper body strength so it was harder for me. The best I could do was hold both feet in the air in one hand and then try to swipe her butt with a wipe as she wriggled past. I would only lay her down for long enough to clean her up then stand her up to put her nappy on. For the record, pull ups are not easier than nappies when the child is lying down. They don't slide easily and are quite snug. If you do want to try pull ups, get the huggies ones that you can split down the side and reattach. That way if they aren't going on easy you can treat them like regular nappies.

As for biting. I have dealt with some notorious biters and my favourite trick is everytime they bite, keep completely neutral and hand them a chew toy saying "you can chew on this toy, it will feel nice on your teeth." or "this is for chewing." and stick it to their lips. It can take a lot of persistence but pays off 9 times out of 10. Biters are either doing it out of frustration, or because they lack communication skills, or because they get a fun reaction or because they are looking for oral stimulation. Addressing the issue that causes it will emliminate the problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    No judgement.

Nappies, brushing teeth, giving panadol... All required pinning the kid down at some stage in this house!
    Not to change the subject, but on this...Is that what I need to do to get the teeth brushed?! This kid is impossible with the teeth and I've bee reluctant to be too 'forceful' because I was scared it would lead to him being scared to brush his teeth. In the mornings I can get him to chew on it and sometimes let me help but night time is usually impossible to even do that. Granted he's been teething pretty much all of the past few months (bottom molars then top and now eye teeth) so doesn't want me near his mouth but I'm worried I'm ruining his teeth by not being firm enough about it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

misho  (08-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Download some Fisher-Price apps onto your phone. They have some nice ones which are animated clips of nursery rhymes. Give your DS your phone and let him watch one while you do his nappy. Fisher Price apps have got us through plenty of things DD doesnt want to do!
    Im not a huge fan of screen time either but a couple of minutes while you get something done that really needs to happen like changing a poo bum surely isn't going to hurt

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MillieMollyMandy For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (08-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    heartstringz, I just wanted to say, I'm sorry if some of our posts have made you feel ganged up on or attacked. I can guarantee it's genuinely not our intention. I know for me and some other hubbers, we have been in your shoes, experiencing PND/extreme anxiety after having a baby (and even before) so we are being a bit hard on you because we have experience with how you feel and genuinely know that nothing will change until you get help, your anxiety is making everything feel 20 times harder and more overwhelming than it needs or should be. I worry that you have now been feeling this way for well over a year now and you will reach a point where you will break and that's not fair on both you or your son. He deserves you to feel less anxious and to enjoy him more.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I have this whole gig figured out or that I don't have days where I genuinely feel like crying because I find DS pretty overwhelming or just feel flat and hopeless and lonely, but I try to keep those days few and far between and to seek help when I can feel them taking over because it's not my son's fault that I am feeling this way, ya know? He's just being a busy little boy which is totally normal and my ability to cope with that is about me and my mental health and not about him being 'bad.'

Definitely still keep turning to the hub for venting and support but I genuinely believe you need some 'real world' help as well whether that is medication or counselling or both. There is help out there whether you believe it or not.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 08-08-2015 at 22:24.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

misho  (08-08-2015),misskittyfantastico  (08-08-2015),TheGooch  (09-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    heartstringz, I just wanted to say, I'm sorry if some of our posts have made you feel ganged up on or attacked. I can guarantee it's genuinely not our intention. I know for me and some other hubbers, we have been in your shoes, experiencing PND/extreme anxiety after having a baby (and even before) so we are being a bit hard on you because we have experience with how you feel and genuinely know that nothing will change until you get help, your anxiety is making everything feel 20 times harder and more overwhelming that it needs or should be. I worry that you have now been feeling this way for well over a year now and you will reach a point where you will break and that's not fair on both you or your son. He deserves you to feel less anxious and to enjoy him more.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I have this whole gig figured out or that I don't have days where I genuinely feel like crying because I find DS pretty overwhelming or just feel flat and hopeless and lonely, but I try to keep those days few and far between and to seek help when I can feel them taking over because it's not my son's fault that I am feeling this way, ya know? He's just being a busy little boy which is totally normal and my ability to cope with that is about me and my mental health and not about him being 'bad.'

Definitely still keep turning to the hub for venting and support but I genuinely believe you need some 'real world' help as well whether that is medication or counselling or both. There is help out there whether you believe it or not.
    So perfectly said. I've also been where you are @heartstringz and while parenting is bloody hard, it truly doesn't have to be as hard as it is for you right now.
    I've said it before but you need to nurture and look after yourself because the best thing you can do for your son is to love his mother.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (08-08-2015),misho  (08-08-2015),TheGooch  (09-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Not to change the subject, but on this...Is that what I need to do to get the teeth brushed?! This kid is impossible with the teeth and I've bee reluctant to be too 'forceful' because I was scared it would lead to him being scared to brush his teeth. In the mornings I can get him to chew on it and sometimes let me help but night time is usually impossible to even do that. Granted he's been teething pretty much all of the past few months (bottom molars then top and now eye teeth) so doesn't want me near his mouth but I'm worried I'm ruining his teeth by not being firm enough about it.
    Only one of our 3 kids, at age 3-4. Absolutely hated it, no matter how gentle or who did it. Was dreadful. Now at 5.5 he's happy to do it by himself and does a pretty good job. But he is our most difficult child. Still love him though, the kindest most empathetic little boy. Love him so much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyBovine View Post
    I used to find I had good success lying them down (head in my lap) to clean teeth.
    I'll give that a go!

kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    How are the nappy changes going now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kiwimum still difficult. When hes not tired its ok, i can get it done quickly & give him something to keep him entertained. When hes tired its a different story though. Getting him undressed & then dressed again after his bath at night takes two people as im yet to find a effective way to restrain him by myself. I dont know what im going to do next time dh is away for work. Spend hours chasing him around the room i guess or put him to bed naked

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MillieMollyMandy View Post
    Download some Fisher-Price apps onto your phone. They have some nice ones which are animated clips of nursery rhymes. Give your DS your phone and let him watch one while you do his nappy. Fisher Price apps have got us through plenty of things DD doesnt want to do!
    Im not a huge fan of screen time either but a couple of minutes while you get something done that really needs to happen like changing a poo bum surely isn't going to hurt
    Oh dear, we have been having the same issues as the OP, especially for the after bathtime dressing so I remembered this thread and suggested that hubby give mr 17 month old his phone for a second to distract him. He literally had it for 5 seconds and bit the screen. $200 for new screen as he cracked it despite the screen protector. So maybe put the phone somewhere where he can see it but not bite it.
    Something that has worked for us is to have a shoebox full of toys he doesn't see very often handy at the change table and pull something out right at the critical moment when you need him to lie still. We have a few of those sensory type toys that I got for 4yo DS1 to fiddle with instead of thumb-sucking (zipper bracelets, koosh balls etc) that DS2 wouldn't get to play with otherwise. Cheaper than the phone screen!!

Hugs to you Heartstringz, its tough to have yet another thing become difficult for you when you are already struggling.