+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our boys are the same age. I sit on the floor with my legs apart, DS lying between them, and pin his arms down at his shoulders with my feet. He can't roll over or escape, and I have one hand to hold his legs up and one hand to wipe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol, boys.

1) give them toys to hold whilst you quickly wipe and put on nappy pants (as opposed to normal nappies)

2) give him your phone and allow him to hold it whilst changing

3) something fun on TV to watch whilst you change him on the couch

4) physically restrain him, I've had to pin each of my 3 boys down at some point. They're just too wiggly.

5) give him the sudocrem to hold? With the lid on of course.

6) sing nursery rhymes whilst changing him. Do 'round and round the garden' on his tummy with left hand whilst wiping with the right one.

There's lots of things u can do, just need to be creative. But yeah wiggly boys are a pain in the but!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't change his nappy on the floor for the reason that he would just role over and run off, I just stick it out on the table. You just have to be firm and constantly figure out something different to entertain and distract him (remote control, monitor, phone, singing, etc). The only way I could ever do it on the floor and have him stay put is in front of the tv with a favourite show on, but I didn't want that to become a habit because one time when I tried to give him his bath after he lost the plot. At 18 months he's now starting to respond and understand me getting cross about him being a ratbag so it's getting easier, unfortunately until your DS gets to that point you just have to deal with it and try not to get too upset, I've found when I get upset and overreact about it the situation escalates to ridiculously hard. If I remind myself that he's still just a baby/toddler with no impulse control and he's not purposely trying to annoy me, I have a much easier time handling the situation and thinking of some song and facial expression that will entertain him. Letting him run around nudie usually also guarantees that he'll sit still a few minutes later for the nappy to go back on. Try to laugh about it because although it's annoying they're still pretty funny!

All this said...I've found nothing that stops him from grabbing his poo covered b@lls.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    No our change table doesnt have a belt, i didnt know they existed. Thanks for that ill definitely try & get one of those!!!

Yeh im struggling with other things too, mostly discipline. I dont know where to turn for help with that. Ive spent the whole day today being bitten & then laughed at when i tell him off.
    Have you started taking anything for your anxiety yet (sorry I've been away from the hub so not sure of your updates). He's only 13 months, he has no impulse control and is genuinely not trying to be malicious with anything he does. Whenever I find myself loosing it with DS (sorry for repeating myself from my post above) I try and remind myself of his impulse control and his intentions. I've found a few websites that I follow on Facebook great for toddler tips as well. Pinky Mackay has a toddler tactics book, Scary Mommy, etc.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

meredithgreyxxx  (08-08-2015),TheGooch  (08-08-2015),VicPark  (07-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwimum890 View Post
    With mine I make sure absolutely everything is ready to go...nappy out flat, wipes sitting there ready to go out of the container (those containers are tricky sometimes so let time fumbling, I usually have 3 out and then if I don't use them put them back)
    I remove pants and undo snaps on onesies while they are busy standing up playing with something or leaning against furniture etc so I have access straight away to the nappy when I lay them down...
    Once I lay them down I grab one foot and blow raspberries and make lots of silly noises to try and distract them. Then put it down and swap the other foot, they start to think it is a game and then I swap again..then while they are waiting I quickly try and do the nappy change, I hold both feet in the one hand around the ankles while I use the wipes.
    Once clean I try the foot raspberries again and then hold the feet again and whip the nappy on, then hold their tummy gently while I do up the tabs...I then redress while standing up....just what works for me but worth a try I guess...

I think the nappy change mat with the buckles is a bit beyond your child and probably a waste of money, try and make it a game instead of being restrained...pull funny faces, make loud funny noises, sing, whatever works...I often put the pants on my sons head and he plays peek a boo with them thinking it is a huge joke and then covers himself again to play again...you could try that??
    You explained it all perfect

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to restrain 13 month old for a nappy change

I can't be much quicker. It takes longer cause hes lying on his tummy or arching his back etc. I have everything ready before I start. Im ready to just not bother with nappies anymore. Last nappy change he crawled around the room half naked while i cried. Hes impossible & horrible & i cant do this anymore
    Sweetie,

It's not impossible and he's not horrible. He's just doing what he does best, being a baby!

We've all gone thru it. This is minuscule in the grand scheme of things. You need to find some sort of a coping strategy.

Currently, My 18month old has seen his brothers fight and get rough, and has decided that he's allowed to hit me. That's my challenge at the moment, but it too shall pass, and there will be something new to deal with soon enough.

I'm not trying to be rude, I promise, I just worry what will happen when he 'clues on' and starts to test the boundaries, like climbing on furniture, touching things he should, and then all the stuff that happens with toddlers and kids.

Edit (baby was crying had to go).... If he sees that you're a pushover, he'll treat you like a doormat. If he senses that you think he's being mean when he's not, he'll start to pick up on that and it will affect his confidence. My 5yo associates me being disappointed or angry with love. So when I'm angry he thinks I don't love him and it takes days for him to realise it's not true. This issue do and will occur, trust me.

You are his mum, he needs you, but he needs the best version of you. You can do this!

Hugs hugs hugs.
    Last edited by misho; 07-08-2015 at 23:35.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (08-08-2015),HollyGolightly81  (07-08-2015),TheGooch  (08-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    No our change table doesnt have a belt, i didnt know they existed. Thanks for that ill definitely try & get one of those!!!

Yeh im struggling with other things too, mostly discipline. I dont know where to turn for help with that. Ive spent the whole day today being bitten & then laughed at when i tell him off.
    Hun I don't think there is such a thing as disciplining a 13 month old. At that age it all come down to the tactics and skills of the parents in terms of distraction and avoidance. Has your counsellor been able to give you hints and tips in this regard?

Is bub in daycare yet? If so how do the carers handle nappy change?

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (07-08-2015),DarcyJ  (08-08-2015),deku  (08-08-2015),HollyGolightly81  (07-08-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (08-08-2015),Sonja  (07-08-2015),TheGooch  (08-08-2015),yadot  (07-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS is 14 months. I sit side on to the way he is lying and put my leg over his chest so that my calf is lightly resting on him. Just enough to stop him wriggling around. I have very thing ready to go so I can then change him as quickly as possible then he can get on with his exploring.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    Sweetie,

It's not impossible and he's not horrible. He's just doing what he does best, being a baby!

We've all gone thru it. This is minuscule in the grand scheme of things. You need to find some sort of a coping strategy.

Currently, My 18month old has seen his brothers fight and get rough, and has decided that he's allowed to hit me. That's my challenge at the moment, but it too shall pass, and there will be something new to deal with soon enough.

I'm not trying to be rude, I promise, I just worry what will happen when he 'clues on' and starts to test the boundaries, like climbing on furniture, touching things he should, and then all the stuff that happens with toddlers and kids.

Hugs hugs hugs.
    This. Toddlers are exhausting because they're so new to the world and so excited to explore and figure out everything. Accepting that while obviously instilling age appropriate discipline and boundaries on top of finding your own coping strategies is what is going to get you through these years. I currently have a climber and a hair puller. I found him standing on our radiator the other day so that he could see out the window even though I'd pushed a chair up to a separate window for him to look out of. He thinks pulling my hair is hilarious, laughs and says 'nonononono' while he does it and his little hands are impossible to un-entwine! I often find myself crying and laughing at the same time when this happens. I'm exhausted, but he's also only going to be this little for so long and I think trying to find ways to keep my anxiety under control so that I can enjoy this hilarious stage and also be the best mom I can be are paramount right now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Hun I don't think there is such a thing as disciplining a 13 month old. At that age it all come down to the tactics and skills of the parents in terms of distraction and avoidance. Has your counsellor been able to give you hints and tips in this regard?
    ?
    This ^^^

Re the changing OP, I give something random (my 11 month old is obsessed with remotes- actually anything that isn't a toy) so I took the batteries out of our remote control and I keep it next to the change table. I also make silly noises and blow raspberries on his tummy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast