+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    While he's laying on the floor hold a toy between your teeth and let him try and get it off you (make it a game). If they are concentrating on something above them they won't struggle.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Candiceo For This Useful Post:

yadot  (08-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default How to restrain 13 month old for a nappy change

I meant you give him the phone not hold it yourself.

Honestly you need to be stern, Dd is at that stage of trying to get away when her nappy is changed and it can be super frustrating, but I just keep pushing her legs down if she moves them or putting her back on her back if she flips over etc and she gives up.

I've learnt recently she will stay still if I have a conversation with her that requires her to answer, I know your Ds probably isn't old enough for that yet but could you sing loudly to get his attention? Or just talk nonsense and make silly faces, that's what I do sometimes, anything to captivate dd's attention for 30 seconds and that's enough time for me to change her quickly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Im going to try nappy pants & the tv & look for straps for the change table

Im looking for a ppp course. I dont see the child health nurses every time I have ive left in tears so i just dont bother any more.
    The straps are for newborns hun so they don't roll off, he sound like a big strong boy. I don't think they'll fix your problem much. Maybe try some techniques that don't involve physical restraint and see how you go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Why were you leaving in tears?
    Cause they are horrible. Last time i went, when ds was 6 months old, i wanted a sleep school referral. She refused to give me one even though i told her i was about to walk out on my family. She berated me & acted like it was my fault ds wouldnt sleep & told me to come back in 2 weeks.

Time before that i had to wait for an hour with no explanation or apology, ds was overtired & screaming by the time we went in then she said it was all my fault that he was screaming cause i was stressed. I wonder why i was stressed after waiting for an hour.

And many more experiences like that, over two dofferent clinics. So i dont bother any more

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I used to hold down with my left arm and quickly change with right hand. But I was super stern when the kids acted like chooks.

Number 3s were changed in the bath tub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nappy pants were used here. I made such a big deal about how they were big kid pants etc my dd loved it.

Good luck x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    The only issue I have with nappy pants is they are more expensive and I'm a cheapskate but it is a good idea, that way he can stand whilst you put them in him.

kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    With mine I make sure absolutely everything is ready to go...nappy out flat, wipes sitting there ready to go out of the container (those containers are tricky sometimes so let time fumbling, I usually have 3 out and then if I don't use them put them back)
    I remove pants and undo snaps on onesies while they are busy standing up playing with something or leaning against furniture etc so I have access straight away to the nappy when I lay them down...
    Once I lay them down I grab one foot and blow raspberries and make lots of silly noises to try and distract them. Then put it down and swap the other foot, they start to think it is a game and then I swap again..then while they are waiting I quickly try and do the nappy change, I hold both feet in the one hand around the ankles while I use the wipes.
    Once clean I try the foot raspberries again and then hold the feet again and whip the nappy on, then hold their tummy gently while I do up the tabs...I then redress while standing up....just what works for me but worth a try I guess...

I think the nappy change mat with the buckles is a bit beyond your child and probably a waste of money, try and make it a game instead of being restrained...pull funny faces, make loud funny noises, sing, whatever works...I often put the pants on my sons head and he plays peek a boo with them thinking it is a huge joke and then covers himself again to play again...you could try that??

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kiwimum890 For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (07-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Its ok if they are more expensive if they make it easier. He cant stand by himself yet but i think they'll be easier to put on while hes lying down anyway

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Its ok if they are more expensive if they make it easier. He cant stand by himself yet but i think they'll be easier to put on while hes lying down anyway
    If you give them a go you can also try sitting him on your lap facing out while you slip them over his legs and pull up while your other hand is around his tummy. Is he standing holding on to furniture? For months we did all the changes standing at the coffee table with favourite toys on there (and admittedly the TV on when desperate but initially the novelty of standing up to play was enough).
    The worst challenges passed after about six months and he now is happy to lie down again. I feel your pain OP - once the dirty nappy was taken off and he was wiped clean I often didn't have the energy to fight the battle to put the new nappy on straight away. I would go sit down and relax for a bit before I would attempt it again.