+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Savings challenge

Contribute to your savings every day! It can be in whichever way you want... I want to see my balance grow! Join in if you want to save too.

We are on a low income as hubby is a student and I am a SAHM but it is doable!

I am saving in afew ways:
    -$50 straight from pay each fortnight -Logging on to internet banking after every spend and rounding down.. the difference going to savings.
    -Transferring any funds left the day before pay day, into savings.

My savings balance right now is $169.75. Have to start somewhere!

Anyone else want to save??

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blissfulfairy For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (07-08-2015),wobbleyhorse  (07-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I'll join! I love saving and do it every week but I know that if I became stricter on myself I could be saving more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Following
    Last edited by lilypily; 08-08-2015 at 04:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My wage minus daycare fees and food/fuel expenses = savings which is transferred to another account. Now im on mat leave will only be $150ish a fortnight but better than nothing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Joining! Atm we chuck whatever loose change we have into a jar, hoping that as we get up to date with our bills we can start to save more. I like the idea of rounding up and transferring the difference. Will have to start with that one!

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews

Joining! I have previously done the rounding down/transferring but keep forgetting. Will make an effort to do this.
    @lillypilly - how would I find your Facebook page? It sounds like just what I need 😀

ETA: do you think it's best to transfer the $ to savings or towards credit card?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing! I need to regularly save again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Every week I save a specific amount, I have it automatically transferred every Friday. I also put another $100 each week into another savings account, this money is used for anything I really want and mainly so I don't take money out of my other account.

I saw on fb the coke bottle trick which I thought was a great idea. Every time you want a coke (or even something you shouldn't have but want to) put $2 into a 600ml coke bottle. It fits $880. I think I could put $10 a day into a bottle, every time I think of something I want but shouldn't have.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (07-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I started to round down my account the other night and transferred it to a savings account.. Only I had forgotten I had closed that account earlier that day so I actually lost $5 instead of saved it.. * Facepalm*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

I have a regular debit set up. $200 comes out each fortnight and goes into a savings account. once the savings get to a certain level, I use the money and invest in shares.

previously when we were saving for a house deposit, my entire salary went into the savings and was added to our deposit. only went into it in absolute emergencies.

now we have bought a house, we just have both our pays go into the offset account, and I have my little shares savings fund going in the background.

need to get a bit more structured as we were previously really strict about it and it's gone a bit loose since we bought our house.

overall I'm pretty happy with our system. we always have good savings and are building up our share portfolios and are ahead on our mortgage so can't complain really.