+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think a 0.0 limit and all cars to b fitted with breathalyzers so if u do have a drink u can check when its completely out of ur system before getting behind the wheel.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

LaDiDah  (07-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My heart says zero but my head says that's harsh and unreasonable. At the end of the day, the people who are getting blind drunk and getting behind the wheel of a car are going to do that regardless of the limit.

0.08 is still pretty high. It takes me 2 or 3 glasses of wine to be over the limit under normal circumstances (one after the other, not tired, having eaten). I'd be pretty damn tipsy at .08. What I noted though was the use of language there: "only" .08. Until people start breathalysing themselves and seeing how they are at each reading, a number can be really arbitrary. I don't see .08 as being "only" .08. I see it as being almost .1 which is, frankly, drunk.

I wouldn't feel comfortable driving at .05. I think any licensed establishment should be legally obliged to have breathalysers for people to use. I remember my local nightclub used to have one and it was really interesting seeing what the reading was in relation to how drunk you felt and how much it could change and be influenced by factors such as tiredness.

We don't educate new drivers enough about the effects of drinking. We use this seemingly arbitrary number then stupid theories of one drink an hour, then wonder why so many people get done for drink driving and are surprised that they're over the limit. I'm all for actual education, teaching people how to drink responsibly, getting them to understand what .05 actually feels like under different circumstances. Of course I accept that this type of education is costly and difficult to implement. But it can start in the home.
    Last edited by Moxy; 07-08-2015 at 08:37.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (08-08-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (07-08-2015),SuperGranny  (17-08-2015)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    0.08 is low end mid range, it's by no means a small amount.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    My personal rules are I and my children (under 18 ) don't get in a car with anyone that has a drink. It's just not worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post

We don't educate new drivers enough about the effects of drinking. We use this seemingly arbitrary number then stupid theories of one drink an hour, then wonder why so many people get done for drink driving and are surprised that they're over the limit. I'm all for actual education, teaching people how to drink responsibly, getting them to understand what .05 actually feels like under different circumstances. Of course I accept that this type of education is costly and difficult to implement. But it can start in the home.
    I think this the key, really. For me, 2 standard drinks in 2 hours and I'd be off my trolley and unable to drive. But I'm small, and rarely drink. However someone who was much larger than me and drank regularly could feel totally sober after the same amount of drinks. I think education is important, and really pushing home the message that someone might be ok at 0.05, but the next person might not be. People need to know how to recognise their own limits. Maybe some sort of cognitive function test, plus a breathalyser?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

MaximumStarlight  (07-08-2015),SuperGranny  (17-08-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (07-08-2015),smallpotatoes  (07-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Having the limit at 0.00 is not going to stop people driving drunk after a big night at the pub. If they're ignoring the current limit, why would they adhere to the new limit.

Dropping the limit to 0.00 will affect the people that drink and drive responsibly and want to have 1 drink with a nice dinner at a restaurant or go to a friends for a glass of wine and drive home afterwards. These aren't the people causing crashes and killing people. Those drunk drivers are still going to drive regardless of the limit.
    Don't know why you quoted me specifically, as I'm not the only one who said they think it should be 0.00.

Thanks for the sympathy and understanding btw... *note sarcasm. Maybe you could have picked someone to quote who hasn't lost 3 family members to drunk drivers? Bit insensitive really...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (07-08-2015),LoveLivesHere  (07-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Having the limit at 0.00 is not going to stop people driving drunk after a big night at the pub. If they're ignoring the current limit, why would they adhere to the new limit.

Dropping the limit to 0.00 will affect the people that drink and drive responsibly and want to have 1 drink with a nice dinner at a restaurant or go to a friends for a glass of wine and drive home afterwards. These aren't the people causing crashes and killing people. Those drunk drivers are still going to drive regardless of the limit.
    This exactly. It will hit the sensible people the hardest.

Drunk drivers will drive irrespective of their limit.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

meredithgreyxxx  (07-08-2015),~Marigold~  (07-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

I generally agree with this. I don't drink often, especially between being pregnant and breastfeeding the last fourish years. But I have fortnightly dinners with friends at their houses and I have a glass of wine when I first get there. I usually leave about 2-3 hours after having that glass so probably would be fine but a 0 limit may mean that I would be charged even though I might only blow 0.01.

Although as I writing this I was thinking of when a news presenter blew over the limit years ago after a glass of wine earlier in ️day while a bigger person it would probably have been well out of their system. Perhaps a 0 limit would remove that 'am I right to drive after 1 inner monologue' or people who think they are fine after following the 'guideline' of 1 every hour etc. I note that some of the messaging is that you drink OR drive, that if you plan to have a drink find another way home.

I agree with PP who said that education about the variability in what you can drink between people is key.

I'll also say if we have the kids in the car DH and I choose one person to have a drink and the other to drive.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (08-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Spot on.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Skyler  (07-08-2015)