+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I remember watching a police RBT show on TV where a guy had stuck to the guidelines of 2 drinks in the first hour and 1 each hour after (that seems like a ridiculous amount of alcohol to be driving with in your system to me) and was over the limit. He was baffled by this, which made me realize that not everyone hears the small print, that this is a guideline only and everyone is different.

I don't drink anymore, I think I've drank twice since I fell pregnant over 3 years ago but when I used to drink, I'd have one drink with dinner then drive home a few hours later. I felt fine doing this but interesting points are raised in this thread where drink driving is not ok, but a little bit is.

I've never really thought about this so it's an interesting topic for me!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

harvs  (06-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My cousin who is generally an irresponsible flip who I don't have 2 seconds for, drunk drove, got into an accident and the driver of the other car was killed. ****ty thing for her is, she was found to be the at fault driver even though he was drunk! I thought that sucked and that he should have done some prison time. Stupid jerk has not learned his lesson, got a job as a lollipop man on construction sites, you know with the stop/go sign, got breathalised and sacked for being over the limit in control of traffic. I want nothing to do with him, he is an embarrassment to society. One day I would not cry if he won a 'Darwin' award.

Would a zero bac law have stopped him? Probably not.
    Last edited by Skyler; 06-08-2015 at 22:44.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyler For This Useful Post:

harvs  (06-08-2015)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    0.0 limit seems like complete overkill to me. That would mean that someone who lived alone who didn't have access to reliable public transport or a taxi service could never ever enjoy a drink outside of their own home. And a single parent couldn't ever drink even in the home, because if for whatever reason there was some emergency they couldn't get in a car and drive anywhere with their kids.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

gizmoduckus  (17-08-2015),harvs  (06-08-2015),PomPoms  (07-08-2015),Skyler  (06-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It's a bit of a hard one. I don't think it should be a blanket 0.00, but I do think people should be more aware of how they respond to alcohol. One night I had 4 drinks at home (Sky Vodka Lime and Soda in case you're interested). Couldn't walk in a straight line to bed, walking into the couches on the way to bed etc. DH thought it was hilarious. I shortly had a fit and ended up in emergency. They did a blood alcohol.... I was well under 0.05. There is no way I metabolized the alcohol so quickly. I didn't come around fully for an hour or so and even then I still felt very drunk, but legally I was considered safe to be driving a car (in terms of blood alcohol concentration). I think people should instead aim to arrange alternative transportation if they know they are going to drink, regardless of the amount. As it is I drink rarely. I'm always designated driver and that's ok with me.

I would be more interested in raising the legal drinking age to 21 instead of 18...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

Skyler  (06-08-2015),TheGooch  (07-08-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    0.0 limit seems like complete overkill to me. That would mean that someone who lived alone who didn't have access to reliable public transport or a taxi service could never ever enjoy a drink outside of their own home. And a single parent couldn't ever drink even in the home, because if for whatever reason there was some emergency they couldn't get in a car and drive anywhere with their kids.
    Well, this is me in both cases being a P plater and living in the country. But I guess I could arrange to carpool or something if I was out late. I don't think I'd be out drinking alone but I guess people do.

If I have had a drink and there was an emergency with DS I guess I'd have to weigh up the risk factors and wear the consequences of my decisions.

I'm not suggesting people lose their license for being over 0.0 or anything like that, maybe demerit points. I don't know and there is obviously no clear solution.

I just wonder if people who constantly hover around the current limit would be spooked enough by losing demerit points to stop before that fatality occurs where they are significantly over the limit.

And what is the difference really between 0.49999999 and 5.00000001? That's where the philosophy of it bends my head.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    And what is the difference really between 0.49999999 and 5.00000001? That's where the philosophy of it bends my head.
    Probably no difference. But as with so many laws a line is drawn in the sand because it has to be drawn somewhere. .05 is probably better than 0.06 and .045 is too hard so 0.05 it is.

Working in law for nearly 25 years you just accept these things

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Skyler  (07-08-2015),smallpotatoes  (07-08-2015)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    It's a bit of a hard one. I don't think it should be a blanket 0.00, but I do think people should be more aware of how they respond to alcohol. One night I had 4 drinks at home (Sky Vodka Lime and Soda in case you're interested). Couldn't walk in a straight line to bed, walking into the couches on the way to bed etc. DH thought it was hilarious. I shortly had a fit and ended up in emergency. They did a blood alcohol.... I was well under 0.05. There is no way I metabolized the alcohol so quickly. I didn't come around fully for an hour or so and even then I still felt very drunk, but legally I was considered safe to be driving a car (in terms of blood alcohol concentration). I think people should instead aim to arrange alternative transportation if they know they are going to drink, regardless of the amount. As it is I drink rarely. I'm always designated driver and that's ok with me.

I would be more interested in raising the legal drinking age to 21 instead of 18...
    Was the fit linked to the alcohol?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I think generally in Australia our relationship with alcohol is very ----ed up, but not because I think people shouldn't drink but because I don't think we as a nation properly enjoy drinking anymore. When you travel overseas and notice how relaxed laws are around public drinking and yet these countries still function and are healthy and you don't see 19 and 20yo's drunk to the point of incapacitation on a weekend night you wonder if we've got it all wrong.

I remember backpacking around Europe with my sister and we bought a bottle of wine and some food and sat in a park and drank it. A police woman went past on her bike and my sister and i froze expecting to get in trouble but she wished us a good meal (in beautiful French) and went on her way.

That's the attitude I wished we embraced.
    Young European peeps get hammered just as much as young Australians trust me on that ;-)

The only difference is just that we do it on good wine and nice glasses!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (07-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm all for a zero tolerance to alcohol and driving. If you had one drink and you don't think it is affecting your driving you are kidding yourself.

Luckily we are very close to the day that cars will be driving themselves. No more silly human creating accidents ☺️

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (07-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    Was the fit linked to the alcohol?
    They're not sure. I've had 3 all up. First one was at a 21st where I'd had maybe 4 drinks. It's suspected my drink was spiked though because my blood alcohol was way high and that was a couple of hours at least after my last drink. Hospital wouldn't read though, they wrote me off as a binge drinker. Second time was after my sisters wedding a year later. I hadn't had a drop of alcohol since the previous fit. Last one was the one above. The neurologist thinks it's more fatigue related, but I haven't had another one since. Everything was always non specific and no formal diagnosis was made. I just mostly don't drink in case it is a trigger given I'm in a state of fatigue most of the time due to shift work.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

harvs  (07-08-2015),~Marigold~  (07-08-2015)