+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Just wondering - because as other's have said 0.0 would affect their ability to enjoy a glass of wine when out for dinner.

So just wondering what the thoughts are of those who would actually be affected the change.

Also - highly doubt the laws will ever change. The only countries that appear to have 0.00 are Islamic countries where alcohol is banned anyway.
    But that is the thing i would be affected by the change as I drive, my children are in cars on the road as of a few months my children will be driving.

Drinking affects the community as whole not just those that drink.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Still won't stop idiots.
    No it won't. Nothing will stop them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    So we should just throw our hands up, stick it in the too hard basket and never even attempt to change anything?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla View Post
    So we should just throw our hands up, stick it in the too hard basket and never even attempt to change anything?
    I think the sensible thing is to make penalties harsher.

Too many first time offenders in nsw get section 10. Soft!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (08-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Even harsher penalties won't stop the true flogs from doing whatever the heck they want, but it could stop some people long enough to think about what they're doing, and if it stops even one from getting behind the wheel while drunk it would be a good thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla View Post
    Even harsher penalties won't stop the true flogs from doing whatever the heck they want, but it could stop some people long enough to think about what they're doing, and if it stops even one from getting behind the wheel while drunk it would be a good thing.
    There are always going to be a small percentage of people who don't give a ship!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Catzilla  (08-08-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (08-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yep. Unfortunately, you can't legislate against stupidity or flogginess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    But that is the thing i would be affected by the change as I drive, my children are in cars on the road as of a few months my children will be driving.

I don't think a 0.000 limit will affect you or the safety of others on the road. It will stop the one-drink after dinner not drunk teetollers who aren't a risk to others from driving. But it won't stop the drunks who are a risk to others from driving.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (08-08-2015),Skyler  (08-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default What are your thoughts on drink driving limits.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post

nobody is going to lose control of a car and kill everyone in sight because they had 1 wine at lunch. is that really what the 0 bac team believe?

someone is more likely to crash their car because they got distracted for a minute, were using their phone when they shouldn't be or were too tired and made a bad judgement call which resulted in a crash.

should we also ban people from driving if they've had less than 8 hours sleep or ban mobile phones from traveling in cars too?

the point is, there'll always be idiots, regardless of what laws are in place. it's usually that tiny sliver of society that unfortunately ruins it for everyone else. short of not traveling in a car at all, I don't see a way to realistically mitigate the risk completely.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (08-08-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (08-08-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (08-08-2015),Skyler  (08-08-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default What are your thoughts on drink driving limits.

There sure is heaps of sarcasm in this thread 😳

This is the table I posted earlier:

Attachment 72204

It does happen, and has happened.

But even that isn't really my point. As I and others have stated multiple times, it is one way of eliminating any uncertainty around the guidelines.

As I have also stated, I realise it isn't so black and white as I felt it was when I started this thread, and there are factors that I hadn't considered.

As others who disagree with the idea of a 0.0 limit have stated, they do still believe that a 0.0 limit when driving with children is a good idea. Surely this shows that there is an elevated risk no matter how small?

I am 100% in favour of personal responsibility and sensible risk management, but to imply that it's a stupid thought that people can be involved in fatal accidents even when below the legal limit is just not true. People have also said that at times that have felt too drunk to drive after one wine. Those who have commented and who have behaved responsibly/safely whatever word is not going to get everyone's back up have my gratitude. But let's not kid ourselves that everyone is like that.

And speaking of mobile phones, they are banned full stop for drivers afaik. There isn't a law that says if you have had xyz amount of sleep within abc amount of time, and are driving in such and such level of traffic and have below x amount of distraction then it's ok, but if not then it's not.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (08-08-2015)