+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Heaven forbid that! Start a TH thread and we can have fisticuffs over the Internet.
    Maybe that's something we need a blood alcohol limit on. No starting or contributing to a SOS thread on Bub Hub if you're over ... 0.05?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Thanks for making people that enjoy alcoholic drinks feel like second-class citizens.

I don't see anything wrong with enjoying alcohol responsibly - a lot of posters on here need to stop making people feel bad for that
    tbh I don't think that was her intention at all. she's said herself she used to enjoy a few drinks. I used to be the same, much tamer these days of course. I didn't take it as making drinkers feel like second rate citizens.

I enjoy drinking and (when I'm not growing a bub lol) I enjoy drinking responsibly and regularly. I feel comfortable with my drinking. I would not drink and drive. there's nothing wrong with enjoying a drink and doing so responsibly.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

DT75  (08-08-2015),LoveLivesHere  (07-08-2015),~Marigold~  (07-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default What are your thoughts on drink driving limits.

Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    The problem is as have PP have suggested that individual 'drunkenness' does not actually always correlate with the arbitrary legal level with a guideline that doesn't apply to everyone.
    Same as many laws. Eg you can have sex at 16. Some kids are ready at 15, some aren't ready until they are 21. A line has to be drawn somewhere that accommodates most of the population because a line of zero might be so unreasonable it might do more harm than the alternative.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

harvs  (07-08-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (07-08-2015),SuperGranny  (17-08-2015)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Winner 2016 BubHubs DIVA Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Yep. Agree too. I love wine. I'm currently staring at my wine collection rather lovingly. I miss my Friday 1-2 glasses of wine after the kids go to bed. Yes I can easily also put away 2-4 bottles of wine at a party and still not be hung over but I know to do that sparingly and mostly at girls nights out. I definitely don't drive then or the next morning.

Does that make me a horrible person? A blight on the landscape of humanity? Same level as Mugabe?

Gosh I hope not.
    When did anyone say drinking made someone horrible? That's a serious stretch and nothing to do with this thread.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (08-08-2015),Frankenmum  (07-08-2015),LoveLivesHere  (07-08-2015),MissMuppet  (07-08-2015),~Marigold~  (07-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just because I can fit half a bottle of wine into a wine glass doesn't mean it's "1 drink".
    Soooo....you're saying this isn't one glass??
    Attached Images

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (17-08-2015),TeaM  (10-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Thanks for making people that enjoy alcoholic drinks feel like second-class citizens.

I don't see anything wrong with enjoying alcohol responsibly - a lot of posters on here need to stop making people feel bad for that
    I have said earlier that I don't believe in 0 blood alcohol level...however, I just have to say that when I tell people I don't really drink, they think I am weird

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (17-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default What are your thoughts on drink driving limits.

Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Why does it have to be 'fair' though? Isn't it about a greater societal responsibility?
    Quote Originally Posted by LaDiDah View Post
    I won't drive if I've had a drink. Hubby will if he's had 1 and it makes me very uncomfortable. People are way too dependant on alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post

I will never EVER have any tolerance for people who get behind the wheel after consuming alcohol or drugs. Ever. Even just 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlondeinBrisvegas View Post
    If taxi drivers, bus drivers, truck drivers @ the like have to have a zero alcohol reading then why shouldn't the rest of us??

Aren't we just as much "on the job" when we get behind the wheel as they are with consideration for our own @ other people's lives??

IMO we are....

@GucciDahling Just a few I found from the first few pages.... All implying that those that have the one drink then drive are irresponsible with no societal responsibilities.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2016 - Member you'd most like to meet
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Am I not allowed to ask questions to clarify now? I can get tied up in semantics and wanted to understand where the poster was coming from.

I stated in my OP that I was looking to learn from other perspectives, hence my posing those questions.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (08-08-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2016 - Member you'd most like to meet
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    This is the way I see the limit.

There's two parts to drinking alcohol and driving.

One is a subjective assessment of your personal capabilities. Can you walk straight, don't have blurry vision, react quickly etc - all the things required to drive a car competently and safely.

Some people might lose these capabilities after one drink and others might lose it after 5 drinks.

Since it's an subjective assessment, there needs to be an objective assessment of someone's "drunkeness". Which is the BAC limit comes in, as it's an objective assessment.

It says even though you feel fine after 6 drinks, science says you're actually aren't.

So you can either drink to your limit or you can drink to the legal limit - but you need to stick with whichever the lower limit is for you.

Get to know your own body and your own reactions to alcohol. Use the guidelines (even though I think they should be altered) as guidelines not as I can drink this much and be fine rule.

I think there also needs to be more awareness and education as to what "1 drink" is. I think a lot of people underestimate their drinks - they might have had 3 physical drinks, but they actually contained 5 standard drinks, which is likely where this accidentally drink driving and think they're under the limit when they actually aren't is coming from.

Just because I can fit half a bottle of wine into a wine glass doesn't mean it's "1 drink".
    Thank you for this post. I actually really understand where you are coming from and you have helped me crystallise my thinking.

I really appreciate you answering my questions and comments on this thread in a respectful way.

I've never been in a position where I've even had to make a decision about drinking and driving, and part of the reason I delayed driving for so long was because I didn't trust myself to make good choices. I acknowledge that my feelings might change when I move to my full license and I wanted to be informed and get a bigger picture. I also hadn't thought about alcohol in foods and medicine.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (07-08-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (07-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think its been a really interesting thread, and I love some of the different ideas people have come up. Like the suggestion of lowering the limit, but having a reading under 0.05 counting as loss of demerit and fine like with speeding. That's really innovative. (I think it was TeaM's idea?)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (07-08-2015)