+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.ntnews.com.au/news/northe...-1227473987637

This is a regular occurrence in the NT....some people don't care about the law. 0.0 or 0.05 wouldn't make a difference!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Thanks for making people that enjoy alcoholic drinks feel like second-class citizens.

I don't see anything wrong with enjoying alcohol responsibly - a lot of posters on here need to stop making people feel bad for that
    Really.
    Come on... Nobody has said anything of the kind. Nobody has called anyone irresponsible or anything the like.

We are entitled to our opinion and so far we had discussed this like adults that disagree on a point.

Please stop telling others that the their opinion is less worthy and they need to stop.

Please be very mindful of the hurt and grief of those that have lost love ones to drink driving.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (07-08-2015),BlondeinBrisvegas  (08-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default What are your thoughts on drink driving limits.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    Really.
    Come on... Nobody has said anything of the kind. Nobody has called anyone irresponsible or anything the like.

We are entitled to our opinion and so far we had discussed this like adults that disagree on a point.

Please stop telling others that the their opinion is less worthy and they need to stop.

Please be very mindful of the hurt and grief of those that have lost love ones to drink driving.
    There is a massive difference between drink drivers who are over the limit and cause an accident and those who admit to having a drink and then driving. A few commentators have suggested not agreeing to 0.00 is because we prefer personal desire over social responsibility. I don't think it's that simple at all. I have the deepest sympathy for those who lose loved ones in car accidents that are preventable but don't believe changing the law would honestly make any difference.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (07-08-2015),BettyW  (07-08-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (07-08-2015),rainbow road  (07-08-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (07-08-2015),VicPark  (07-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    There is a massive difference between drink drivers who are over the limit and cause an accident and those who admit to having a drink and then driving. A few commentators have suggested not agreeing to 0.00 is because we prefer personal desire over social responsibility. I don't think it's that simple at all. I have the deepest sympathy for those who lose loved ones in car accidents that are preventable but don't believe changing the law would honestly make any difference.
    See this post is exactly what I was trying to say.
    Discussing the issue like a adult and not calling people names or quoting someone who loves have died and treating them badly.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (08-08-2015),~Marigold~  (07-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    totally get your point. it's inconsistent to say "it's bad to drink drive but it's ok to drink drive a little bit"
    I don't think it is. I don't think people are saying that. People are saying it's ok to have a teeny bit of alcohol and drive, but it's not ok to drive if you are drunk. It's the same as saying: it's ok to drive if you're a teeny bit tired as you only got 7 hours sleep..... But not ok to drive if you're skittish and feeling those waves of nausea because you only got 4 hours sleep.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (08-08-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (07-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    No i have said that there are circumstances where someone can have slight levels of alcohol and not realise. Eg medications or through foods prepared by other people.

I think 0.00 is unrealistic. 0.01 and 0.02 can be registered when someone is unawares of injestion of alcohol. 0.05 is a good rule as it has a nice safety margin.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Yep. Agree too. I love wine. I'm currently staring at my wine collection rather lovingly. I miss my Friday 1-2 glasses of wine after the kids go to bed. Yes I can easily also put away 2-4 bottles of wine at a party and still not be hung over but I know to do that sparingly and mostly at girls nights out. I definitely don't drive then or the next morning.
    Would you stop saying stuff that makes me think we might get along in real life. Ta!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (07-08-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Ok. I mention social responsibility because in my understanding that's why laws are created and therefore would be a factor in this discussion, not to imply that it's some selfish act to have a drink.

We make decisions every day regarding personal preference and social responsibility. I don't recycle as much as I should. I buy products that contain palm oil if I really like them. I don't always buy Australian made. I have been and currently am a smoker. All of these decisions have an impact on society - our decisions don't exist in a vacuum.

Likewise, our personal experiences influence our values. Much like my mum who never touched a cigarette because she grew up in a household of adults who smoked. Or how I have a pathological fear of abandonment and it's not hard to work out why.

It's not hard to understand how people who have been affected by drink driving have the opinions they do. It doesn't make them wowsers. It makes them emotionally wounded by something that could have been avoided.

Personally I am a big fan of @Mod-Nomsie's solution.

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I don't think it is. I don't think people are saying that. People are saying it's ok to have a teeny bit of alcohol and drive, but it's not ok to drive if you are drunk. It's the same as saying: it's ok to drive if you're a teeny bit tired as you only got 7 hours sleep..... But not ok to drive if you're skittish and feeling those waves of nausea because you only got 4 hours sleep.
    I agree with this, but I do think it *is* essentially what the law is saying. The problem is as have PP have suggested that individual 'drunkenness' does not actually always correlate with the arbitrary legal level with a guideline that doesn't apply to everyone.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (08-08-2015),LoveLivesHere  (07-08-2015),~Marigold~  (07-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Would you stop saying stuff that makes me think we might get along in real life. Ta!
    Heaven forbid that! Start a TH thread and we can have fisticuffs over the Internet.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (07-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    This is one of the reasons I'd like to see zero; zero means zero. It doesn't mean maybe one or maybe two, or maybe even three if you're 6"4 and weigh 120kgs and you've eaten a 3 course meal. It just means zero. We all know what zero means.

But Australia loves a drink, so it won't happen.
    Maybe it won't happen because it's not the most practical or sensible solution?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

meredithgreyxxx  (07-08-2015)