+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Thanks for making people that enjoy alcoholic drinks feel like second-class citizens.

I don't see anything wrong with enjoying alcohol responsibly - a lot of posters on here need to stop making people feel bad for that
    Hubbers are wowsers.

That being said I think a 0.0 limit would be easier all around.

0.05 is quite difficult to estimate.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Thanks for making people that enjoy alcoholic drinks feel like second-class citizens.

I don't see anything wrong with enjoying alcohol responsibly - a lot of posters on here need to stop making people feel bad for that
    Do you disagree that Australia loves a drink?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (07-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Like I said in a previous post - I am far more concerned about driving home at 7:30am after an 18 hour work shift then I am driving after having had a glass of wine with dinner 2 hours ago.
    I agree with this.

DP works night shift and I worry about him driving the 1 hour trip home more than I worry about him driving after wine with dinner.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I don't like that attitude either.

But @Moxy has in this thread and others been quite open about her drinking and other drug use so I really disagree with the implication that she is one of those people.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (08-08-2015),Moxy  (08-08-2015),~Marigold~  (07-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I think Australia has a terrible attitude towards alcohol but not because people drink too much but because we raise our kids in an environment of fear and prevention rather than respect and tolerance.

I think we have gone too far in the country toward trying to ban anything that may cause a small percentage of people harm rather than asking people (and I'm talking adults here not juveniles) to be responsible for their conduct. And not just around alcohol but I see so many ridiculous examples around health and safety where we go so far we actually make things unsafe.

I personally doubt the overall situation in Australia can be reversed without a massive change in government thinking.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (07-08-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (07-08-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (07-08-2015),VicPark  (07-08-2015)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I remember an episode of RBT and this poor 17 year old had eaten his girlfriend's mums tiramisu before driving home and unfortunately had a very small amount of alcohol in his system. I know p-players are 0.00, but that would suck big time.
    Hahaha I was just thinking of that episode! And I think I've watched that show about 5 times in my life!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DH was travelling with work and had had a few drinks the previous night. Although he felt fine the next morning he was due to drive home on long country roads that would have been heavily policed at this time of year. He walked to the local police station and asked if he could be breathalysed before he left.

They refused to do it.

The only reason the govt would lower the BAC to say 0.02/3 would be to revenue raise.

I have no issue with it as 0.05. I like to have 1 or 2 drinks with dinner over a 2-3 hr period.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree that there is a negative drinking culture that needs to be resolved. But I don't like this snarky attitude that anyone that likes alcohol must be a raging alcoholic and contributing to the culture.

I also don't understand why wanting and enjoying a glass of wine with my dinner makes me a bad person.
    It most certainly doesn't in my opinion. I don't drink simply because I don't like the taste, I've tried spirits, wine, champagne and beer and just don't like it. I'm not a wowser and I'm certainly not against alcohol, if I liked it I'd be in like Flynn!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I think Australia has a terrible attitude towards alcohol but not because people drink too much but because we raise our kids in an environment of fear and prevention rather than respect and tolerance.

I think we have gone too far in the country toward trying to ban anything that may cause a small percentage of people harm rather than asking people (and I'm talking adults here not juveniles) to be responsible for their conduct. And not just around alcohol but I see so many ridiculous examples around health and safety where we go so far we actually make things unsafe.

I personally doubt the overall situation in Australia can be reversed without a massive change in government thinking.
    Perfectly said.

I agree, when did personal responsibility become a victim in this move towards a nanny state?

If I have a wine and then drive an hour later, cause an accident etc then it's my bloody fault. Not the restaurant, bottle shop or waitress.

If I leave my kids in the car for the whole 90sec it takes to pay for fuel and my car is hit by an asteroid then that's on my head too.

Fwiw, I was absolutely freaking tired today. So so so tired and I was worried about driving home after work but I had to as I need to get the girls from kindy/daycare.... I had to recite the periodic table several times to keep me focused on the road. As @meredithgrey said, I was way more worried about me driving today than I was after lunch with my girlfriends back in January when I had two small wines over 3.5hrs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree that there is a negative drinking culture that needs to be resolved. But I don't like this snarky attitude that anyone that likes alcohol must be a raging alcoholic and contributing to the culture.

I also don't understand why wanting and enjoying a glass of wine with my dinner makes me a bad person.
    Yep. Agree too. I love wine. I'm currently staring at my wine collection rather lovingly. I miss my Friday 1-2 glasses of wine after the kids go to bed. Yes I can easily also put away 2-4 bottles of wine at a party and still not be hung over but I know to do that sparingly and mostly at girls nights out. I definitely don't drive then or the next morning.

Does that make me a horrible person? A blight on the landscape of humanity? Same level as Mugabe?

Gosh I hope not.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (07-08-2015)