+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Period while breastfeeding?

So I went for my 6 week post natal check up with gp yesterday and she said if I'm still bleeding at this stage they would normally give a course of antibiotics in case of any bits of retained placenta. But because I had a c section this seems unlikely. So she's happy to leave it now but said if I'm still bleeding next week to go back for antibiotics.
    Today my bleeding is heavier and I've also had period type cramps so I'm wondering if I'm now having a period rather than still bleeding post baby. I'm just a bit unsure as I presumed that if you are exclusively breastfeeding you don't really ovulate or have periods? I'm not at all worried about being pregnant but just want to avoid an antibiotic course if it unnecessary. So has anyone else had a period while breastfeeding 6 weeks post birth?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got my period 6 weeks post birth. It happens! I had a vaginal delivery and my ob never mentioned anything at my 6 week check up regarding antibiotics. He was confident it was my period. I noticed my milk supply dropped somewhat and I had to eat a bucket load of lactation cookies to try get back to what ds needed!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (05-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Interesting about milk supply. Didn't know that could happen. I guess I just wasn't sure as I went on the mini pill while breastfeeding ds1 so had lots of breakthrough bleeding so no proper period as such. I stopped bf and carried on pill few more months so I guess if I hadn't been on the pill I might have had periods as normal. I'll have to keep an eye on my supply but hopefully it won't be a problem as I tend to go the other way and have issues with oversupply.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Such a pain but I have also had a period 4.5/5 weeks post partum both times. After my first I wasn't sure but then at 9 weeks I got it again and then every month after until I fell pregnant again with my second. It is very possible to get your period while breastfeeding and not overly uncommon. I also suffer a bit of a dip in supply and sore nipples the week leading up to it. After my second I was breastfeeding my newborn and a toddler round the clock and still got it back religiously..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Soon2be4 For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (05-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Period while breastfeeding?

My first was at 14 weeks pp.
    I was exclusively bf. dd started sleeping 10 hours straight then though
    I tracked my cycles since then with temping. My body tried to ov several times per cycle with 4-5 luteal phase. So unlikely to fall pregnant. It wasn't until 5 cycles after cutting down to bf twice a day my cycles went back to what I call a fertile cycle
    Last edited by Kazza78; 05-08-2015 at 18:42.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazza78 For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (05-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Exclusively breastfeeding both times and and went on the mini pill and started getting my period at about the six week mark. No issues with supply for me. It's quite common to menstruate when breastfeeding. You might not necessarily be ovulating though. I'm so jealous of those women who don't menstruate when breastfeeding or on the pill!

Have you been bleeding for the whole 6 weeks post partum? Or did it stop and then start again? If it never stopped then I would be worried but otherwise you're probably just one of us unlucky ones.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Noty For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (05-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No it didn't stop at all. I've been down to panty liners rather than pads but on the odd occasion I tried to stop overnight I've still been bleeding. But it did get lighter until today. I havnt been worried as it's been normal reddish brown blood, no sign of infection that I can see and after last pregnancy I bled until 6 weeks so thought it was normal.
    I'll see how the next few days go but if it's still there next week (longer than normal period) then I'll go back to gp.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I bled for at least 6 weeks after both my CS births. No sign of infection so I never worried and my OB wasn't concerned at my 6 week checks.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (05-08-2015)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Yes it is possible for your period to return that early.

However I had bleeding until about 8 weeks pp. Af didn't return until 10 months pp.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (05-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Yep periods from 4 weeks post birth her for the last 3 bubs.

Also bleed for 8 weeks with no Infection with 1 birth.

All 6 bubs were fully breastfeed

17. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (05-08-2015)