+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't have an epi. I had an examination and the midwife told me I was 6-7cm. Soon after I felt the need to push and she thought I might need one as I was pushing but not fully dilated. I had another examination and was fully so got down to pushing. I ended up with a 3rd degree tear, ventouse delivery and had to go the theatre and have my tear repaired with a spinal anyway. Would I have been better off getting the epi? Who knows. Next time I'll be more open to an epi but probably refuse opiates and the gas as they made me feel really spaced out which made me panic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SoReady View Post
    Wow that's expensive! I was private too, not a Sunday granted but still an after hours call and was $750
    $2000 was the most expensive. DS1 was born at 6.14 on a Sunday and DS2 was born at 3.40 on a Sunday. Sundays are way more expensive than any other day. Although, I'm a major tightarse so I'd probably go epi free for $750 too! Lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Thats nuts. I would hate having to make medical decision based on money.

Hypothetically what if they said you needed an emergency caesarean and it would be $2000+ for the out of hours anaesthetic fees plus theatre fees? Would you be less inclined to agree to the Caesar?
    I would absolutely go for the Caesar. Anything related to health is of primary consideration to me. I would not hesitate. Unfortunately I know personally what it's like to deliver a baby who died so I would never make a medical decision based on money. I suppose in my case the epi was for pain relief only so I didn't see it as a medical decision. I'm a chronic migraine sufferer so I have a high pain threshold. Maybe that makes a difference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally1981 View Post
    I would absolutely go for the Caesar. Anything related to health is of primary consideration to me. I would not hesitate. Unfortunately I know personally what it's like to deliver a baby who died so I would never make a medical decision based on money. I suppose in my case the epi was for pain relief only so I didn't see it as a medical decision. I'm a chronic migraine sufferer so I have a high pain threshold. Maybe that makes a difference.

I thought private health would cover anaesthetic and a c/s? I know it doesn't cover you obstetrician fees but thought it covered hospital costs, pain relief included? I was booked to go privately in Melbourne but we moved to the UK half way through my pregnancy and our international insurance cover ended up covering our whole birth (so private hospital AND private OB fees). I think my epidural was £1200 (600 deposit to 'reserve' the anaesthetist and 600 if I ended up having it) but the insurance definitely ended up paying for it. I do know international cover is much more comprehensive than Australian agencies though, but also obviously paying much more for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I thought private health would cover anaesthetic and a c/s? I know it doesn't cover you obstetrician fees but thought it covered hospital costs, pain relief included? I was booked to go privately in Melbourne but we moved to the UK half way through my pregnancy and our international insurance cover ended up covering our whole birth (so private hospital AND private OB fees). I think my epidural was £1200 (600 deposit to 'reserve' the anaesthetist and 600 if I ended up having it) but the insurance definitely ended up paying for it. I do know international cover is much more comprehensive than Australian agencies though, but also obviously paying much more for it.
    No, there can be a gap, although some anaesthetists will no gap. It all depends on the anaesthetist, the time of day etc. For example in Canberra I know some charge more for a call out in the middle of the night in winter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got charged nearly$2000 for mine. I was gob smacked as I thought it was included in my private health. I then made a claim through my fund and only got a few hundred back.
    I need to change health funds before I have the next so it's covered if needed.
    My son was born on the June long weekend on the Monday so maybe that's why it cost so much too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My Epi was $150 at 9pm on a thurs night with dd1. The anaesthetist waved it as I went to uni with him. With dd2 - she was born on a public holiday - DH enquirer as to the cost in case I wanted it. It would have been $800 but we found out that in an emergency situation pain relief is deemed part of your hospital cover. It's when you elect for it you pay extra.

Check your health fund.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Just out of interest - if they have to come back in to redo the epidural for whatever reason or top it up for an emergency caesarean do they charge you a second fee?
    I have no idea. I had mine at about 5pm. He may have come in again before Bub was born to check it was all ok. Then he came back to check on me the next day and day after that. I was charged for those visits too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    My Epi was $150 at 9pm on a thurs night with dd1. The anaesthetist waved it as I went to uni with him. With dd2 - she was born on a public holiday - DH enquirer as to the cost in case I wanted it. It would have been $800 but we found out that in an emergency situation pain relief is deemed part of your hospital cover. It's when you elect for it you pay extra. Check your health fund.
    Crazy. So if you have your baby privately and elect for a c/s, it's not covered by your insurance? It gobsmacks me how little Australian insurance covers.

Eta: Actually, it shouldn't really surprise because UK private health funds do not offer any maternity cover at all, the only way to have maternity cover in the UK is to have international cover.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 07-08-2015 at 22:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Crazy. So if you have your baby privately and elect for a c/s, it's not covered by your insurance? It gobsmacks me how little Australian insurance covers.

Eta: Actually, it shouldn't really surprise because UK private health funds do not offer any maternity cover at all, the only way to have maternity cover in the UK is to have international cover.
    It is covered! Elective CS that is.

I just checked with my health fund. Epidurals are not covered for VB but are for CS.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.