+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Where I work our epidurals aren't a continuous infusion - you just give yourself small bolus doses - so by the time any suturing has been done and baby has had a good feed, the majority of women are fine to get out of bed and up for a shower.

Usually take the catheter out at delivery as well unless there's any other reason for it stay in (pph, urethral tear etc)
    This was what it was like where I birthed, the anaesthetist told me to tell them when I started to feel contractions again and somebody just topped me up whenever that happened. We let it wear off a little when I had to push so I didn't have any pain but definitely had sensation and knew when I needed to push and was also able to listen to the doctors instructions of when I needed to stop pushing. I don't even remember having a catheter in so assume they took it out during the birth as I had a shower within an hour.

There are so many different factors as to why all of our experiences are so different that it really just boils down to making whatever decision is best for yourself at the time.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 06-08-2015 at 22:15.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (06-08-2015),MyLittleStar  (07-08-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (06-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    This was what it was like where I birthed, the anaesthetist told me to tell them when I started to feel contractions again and somebody just topped me up whenever that happened. We let it where off a little when I had to push so I didn't have any pain but definitely had sensation and knew when I needed to push and was also able to listen to the doctors instructions of when I needed to stop pushing. I don't even remember having a catheter in so assume they took it out during the birth as I had a shower within an hour.

There are so many different factors as to why all of our experiences are so different that it really just boils down to making whatever decision is best for yourself at the time.
    This ^

I couldn't even feel a thing when I was pushing but I still managed to get #2 bub out without any tears or anything. But that was my experience. I was induced and had no gaps in contractions so I needed it. I was up and showered within the hour and left the hospital and went home 4 hours after. In to hospital at 7am, induced, gave birth and home by 6:00pm.

So OP I guess just weigh up the pros (no pain - calm and relaxed the entire time) against the cons - more chances of all of the things @meredithgrey mentioned in a previous post

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Em9  (07-08-2015),HollyGolightly81  (06-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Due to a mistake made while trying to administer the epi I couldn't have one. I ended up with repeated failed attempts at a ventouse delivery and then a few attempts and eventual forceps delivery. I had tearing externally and internally. Bub never once attempted to breastfeed (and was injured). I couldn't stand let alone walk and had to be assisted to shower while my husband cared for bub for over 24 hours. So although my birth was "natural" i got lots of intervention. I'll be having an epidural at the very least next time
    Due to other factors I was to have an early epi and then be sedated.....things never go to plan!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was able to walk around after my epi and it felt exactly the same as after my natural, no catheter or anything. I guess we all have different experiences.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MyLittleStar For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (07-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was also up and about pretty quickly. It took about 45 min to be catheter free and up and showering. I didn't even notice that "wait" and I was busy holding/feeding Bub. I had been in labour from 9am and had the epi at 2:30am, it let me get a couple of hours sleep and a cup of tea before having to push. I'm not sure that without it I would have even had the strength or energy to push. So whilst I didn't feel the pushing at all it made no difference to the effectiveness and I gave birth unassisted. I'm certain that without it I would have been far too exhausted and needed intervention.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SoReady For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (07-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For me there was no real difference between waiting to get up and breastfeeding between my epidural birth and my natural birth.

I was on the bed after my epidural birthing the placenta, getting stitched up and feeding and cuddling DD, eating dinner so I didn't notice being delayed at getting up at all. It was similar to my natural birth where I did have to move from the bath to the bed but then I stayed there for ages where I birthed the placenta (had a physiological third stage), was stitched up and feeding DS. And having a snack!

Breastfeeding was about the same with both of them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just for another perspective I had a natural birth with no epi but had some complications so had a catheter put in about an hour after dd had been born. I was still able to get up with the catheter in.. Just had to remember to bring my 'handbag' with me haha! So I wouldn't think to much about wanting to avoid a catheter/be up and moving asap etc because you just never know what can happen. I think being prepared and researched before my labour, surrounding myself with people I trusted and then just going with whatever was thrown at me is what made my birth a positive experience for me (despite the complications/catheter/bedrest etc) rather than whether I had an epi or not.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mambo For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (07-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went private, so for me it was all about the money. Both my boys were born on a Sunday so the whole deal (call out fee plus epi) would be about $2,000. I reasoned that if someone offered me $2,000 to get through 12-24 hours of pain, I'd do it! Just make sure your partner lets you spend the money however you want

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    Just for another perspective I had a natural birth with no epi but had some complications so had a catheter put in about an hour after dd had been born. I was still able to get up with the catheter in.. Just had to remember to bring my 'handbag' with me haha! So I wouldn't think to much about wanting to avoid a catheter/be up and moving asap etc because you just never know what can happen. I think being prepared and researched before my labour, surrounding myself with people I trusted and then just going with whatever was thrown at me is what made my birth a positive experience for me (despite the complications/catheter/bedrest etc) rather than whether I had an epi or not.
    I should probably add that I had no epi and still needed a catheter. I felt ripped off. As I said above, I expected no benefits from refusing an epi that wasn't financial.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally1981 View Post
    I went private, so for me it was all about the money. Both my boys were born on a Sunday so the whole deal (call out fee plus epi) would be about $2,000. I reasoned that if someone offered me $2,000 to get through 12-24 hours of pain, I'd do it! Just make sure your partner lets you spend the money however you want
    Wow that's expensive! I was private too, not a Sunday granted but still an after hours call and was $750