+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm considering it but it's not my first preference.

This is my first and while I know I have a good pain threshold, I just have no idea what it will be like. So I have written Epidural: Acceptable on my birth plan.
    First choice is active movement, bath, etc, and gas+air.

Might change my mind of course, but for now I don't feel the "need" to have an epidural.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I knew in advance I wouldn't have one when I watched 'The Business of Being Born' and learned about the cascade of intervention.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (06-08-2015),Kazza78  (06-08-2015),Mamasupial  (06-08-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (06-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my first without and my 2nd with. Both great experiences, but if I'm being totally honest, a lot less painful with the epi. It wore off by pushing stage so I could feel everything then, but i breezed through the contractions, laughing, happy, didn't even know when I was having a contraction! I'd also heard horror stories about the actual injection, I hardly felt it (think the anesthetist used a numbing cream first).
    But having said all of that, I am very happy to have also had a 'natural' birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazza78 View Post
    I was the same as small potatoes. Stayed at home until the very end. Stood the whole 6 hrs and made no noise, just breathed thru them. I used the 3 min rest between contractions to put my make up on, checked my bag etc
    Unfortunately I live a good hour away from our hospital so won't be able to stay at home the whole time.
    Last time my waters broke at 4.30am. I rang the hospital at 7 and hog there at 9.30. I think this added to the crappy experience because it was such a long day stuck in a room. I was 37 weeks and because of this was told to go in straight away.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Em9 For This Useful Post:

Kazza78  (06-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have birthed 3 times - the first 2 without epi (just gas) and the final one with an epi (due to a dislocated rib). I hated my epidural...I hated that I couldn't feel properly to push, it all felt very unnatural, and I'm sure it contributed to the prolapse I developed, as I believe I wasn't able to push effectively or at the correct time. My 3rd labour was also the longest and Bub needed resuscitating as he didnt breath on delivery. Who knows how much the epi contributed to any of that...I'll never know but its's not something I would choose again....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't like epidurals - they often cause babies heartrate to drop which leads to further interventions and increased risks. Often babies are born a little flat too and can struggle to latch/feed well. Not always obviously, but increased nevertheless. Also - the feeling after a natural delivery when you can walk around and feel relatively normal straight away is AMAZING. To not have a catheter in or pee bag attached is also a bonus

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumsical View Post
    Also - the feeling after a natural delivery when you can walk around and feel relatively normal straight away is AMAZING. To not have a catheter in or pee bag attached is also a bonus
    Oh yes I remember this feeling too well ☺️

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tell me why I should or should not have an Epidural.

Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Where I work our epidurals aren't a continuous infusion - you just give yourself small bolus doses - so by the time any suturing has been done and baby has had a good feed, the majority of women are fine to get out of bed and up for a shower.

Usually take the catheter out at delivery as well unless there's any other reason for it stay in (pph, urethral tear etc)
    This was my experience, and I would absolutely do it again. By the time I had an epidural with DD I had been in labour for over 24 hours, hasn't slept a wink and was exhausted. Labour had stalled and I was being given oxytocin which had started to kick in and the renewed strength and rate of contractions, at a time when I was ready to give up, really scared me. I talked to the anaesthetist and he gave me the option of self administered, "mini" doses. Turns out I only needed one, to get me through the next few hours so I could rest and get ready to push. I ended up having a great delivery where I could push and feel everything, only needing a little suction at the end.

Would absolutely do it again if necessary.
    Last edited by MsViking; 06-08-2015 at 20:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Time and place for everything is my theory. I've seen epidurals that have led to the typical cascade of intervention and other complications like others have said.

I've also seen many many epidurals that have allowed the woman to finally relax and not be so tense and she's gone from 3cm to 10cm in an hour after being at 3cm for the last 8. I'm also convinced that the sitting upright position to get it out it in does some absolute magic as well in getting that baby down and onto the cervix.

Strongly recommended for pre-eclampsia to lower the blood pressure and epileptics to reduce the stress and risk of a seizure.

Also great for when there's been a long latent phase or long inductions.

Time and place is my theory.
    Totally agree that sitting up straight for the epi makes things happen. My last birth, the midwives were telling me to 'stop pushing,stop pushing!' Because I 'wasnt in labour yet'. I told them I wanted an Epi, but didnt get to have one because when I sat up straight, the head just came out. Weirdest feeling feeling a head just descend so smoothly from uterus to crowning in one go without a push. Turns out I WAS in labour, lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a personal choice and offered/needed for a variety of reasons. I have had 3 epidurals with 3 births and 3 different experiences.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

meredithgreyxxx  (06-08-2015)