+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tell me why I should or should not have an Epidural.

Don't think I could have done it without it. Couldn't imagine how painful it would have been. The contractions that I didn't feel was pushing the baby down so the final pushes was easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didn't end up having an epidural. I went in with the intent on not having one. I went from 2cm to 8cm in about an hour so didn't have the chance. All I had was gas and morphine, even with baby sitting on my spine. You won't know until your in labour whether you will need it or even get the chance to have it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou for all of your replies.
    This question has stemmed from my best friend having her second baby this wk. She had an epi with her first and didn't this time around.
    She told me this time labour was horrific, it was ok until transition but then she literally thought she was going to die.
    I'm one of those people who needs to know everything about something and I spose childbirth stumps me as I can't plan it exactly.
    I hope that this time around I am more calm and if having an epi helps with that then I will have one. I will go into the experience knowing that's only want gas and an epi if needed but will still try without. Like everyone has said time, tiredness, tension will all effect how I'm going and my decision to have an epi. Last time I was so tense and panicked that the Eli finally allowed my body to relax somewhat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I asked for one but there wasn't time. Very proud that I did it without. I then had to have one after I gave birth as they couldn't get my placenta out and I had to go to theatre. I was stuck in bed for ages hooked up to a bunch of things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Em9 View Post
    Thankyou for all of your replies.
    This question has stemmed from my best friend having her second baby this wk. She had an epi with her first and didn't this time around.
    She told me this time labour was horrific, it was ok until transition but then she literally thought she was going to die.
    I'm one of those people who needs to know everything about something and I spose childbirth stumps me as I can't plan it exactly.
    I hope that this time around I am more calm and if having an epi helps with that then I will have one. I will go into the experience knowing that's only want gas and an epi if needed but will still try without. Like everyone has said time, tiredness, tension will all effect how I'm going and my decision to have an epi. Last time I was so tense and panicked that the Eli finally allowed my body to relax somewhat.
    I had them with all 3 kids.

The best was my 3rd. Such a kind anaesthetist. Check on me 3 times during labour and once afterwards. I had the drop that allowed me to top up myself (obviously to a safe limit), but that obviously meant that I wasn't completely numb either coz I could tolerate having some feeling. It was awesome. AWESOME!!! I felt everything but there was just discomfort and no pain. I was at a different hospital for my first 2 kids and they didn't have this option.

If you decide to get an epi, ask if you have it this way.

😀

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Another point on the gas actually is I used the gas with my first and it did nothing. Turns out they start it off low so you can turn it up as the pain gets worse. With number two they turned it right up and it really did take away all of the pain. You are a by out of it as it seems to make your head numb too, but I'd definitely recommend gas turned up as high as possible before trying an epi. Then if the gas makes you sick or doesn't work for you, you know you've got the option of the epi.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Have a look at aromatherapy as well to help keep things calm.
    ^^^ ooo this! There was a point in my labour where I was throwing up and starting to stress out. My brilliant midwife put some oils on in the oil burner (for some reason I think it smelt pepperminty but I'm not sure), the nausea eased and it was very calming.

I also wanted to suggest that another thing that helped me feel prepared was having a range of things I wanted to try as I worked through the labour. Lots of options! So for me I planned to: change positions, use a heat pack, have dh apply pressure to my lower back, use the tens machine, listen to music, get in the shower, try the bath, move. Then if I reached the point where none of those things worked then I'd move to gas and finally an epi. There was something really empowering about knowing there was always something else I could try.

Also keeping the lights low made the environment feel calmer for me too.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

barefootbabe  (07-08-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (06-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought the gas worked really well until I had an examination where they tried to stretch my cervix. The gas wasn't turned the whole way up but I just jumped straight to Peth. I think it was mainly because I was so upset rather than unbearable pain.
    The epi I had had a thing where I could turn it up and I didn't. The epi got turned off for the push so it hurt but I don't think it would have hurt as much as if I didn't have the epi.
    Keep the tips coming. I think I have a better chance at staying calm as I've done it before. I just don't want many examinations!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyV View Post

I also wanted to suggest that another thing that helped me feel prepared was having a range of things I wanted to try as I worked through the labour. Lots of options! So for me I planned to: change positions, use a heat pack, have dh apply pressure to my lower back, use the tens machine, listen to music, get in the shower, try the bath, move. Then if I reached the point where none of those things worked then I'd move to gas and finally an epi. There was something really empowering about knowing there was always something else I could o.
    I second this. I did a research and read a heap of books. In the end the things that worked for me were - music (I hummed lullabies to myself and we had music playing when he was born), leaning over on my knees or against my partner and rolling my hips in a circular motion, stamping my feet and making horse lips (sounds funny but worked lol). It was great to have a bit of a tool kit to work from. Which is why I like the Birth Skills book.
    @Em9 I actually had no examinations in my labour with DS. Partly because I only got the the hospital 50 mins because he was born and it was clear to my midwife that things were progressing. Just a quick check with the doppler.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Em9  (06-08-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (06-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was the same as small potatoes. Stayed at home until the very end. Stood the whole 6 hrs and made no noise, just breathed thru them. I used the 3 min rest between contractions to put my make up on, checked my bag etc