+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    I was standing so I don't see how sitting would have helped?
    I don't think that comment was about my situation though
    Bahaha. I quoted the wrong person. Whoops!

But if someone could explain how sitting for an epidural helps that would clear things up for me. Are lots of women lying down?
    Last edited by Acadaca; 05-08-2015 at 19:10.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Em9 View Post
    I have a fear of birth, but not so much the pain.
    I had an epi last time after 12hra of labour after my waters broke at 37 weeks. I was not coping well emotionally as I was exhausted. I had not progressed past 4cm from 9.30-5 and that's when I was given the Epi, I then gave birth at 10.
    I used the shower to begin but was told by the midwife to hop out and have a rest after a couple of hrs, I then started gas. After a painful examination where a midwife tried to stretch my cervix I went downhill and had pethadine. I was falling asleep between contractions and basically cried from the examination to when I had the epi. I was so emotional and I hated it.
    When I was 10cm my epi was turned off to push. I felt every part of the birth which was painful but I survived.

I'm not looking for someone to make a decision for me, I'm just interested in other people's opinions.
    I want a calm birth this time it don't know how I'm going to ensure this happens.
    Water birth is not available where I live.
    Epi or no epi I would look into calm birthing or hypnobirthing. Also have a look at the book Birth Skills. Unfortunately I didn't end up with a water birth but being in a bath in labour helped me cope immensely. In some cases an epi can actually help labour progress (rather than stall it).

Birth is like a marathon isn't it? Sometimes all it takes is someone there supporting you, telling you that you are doing it to get you through the next contraction. I was ridiculously exhausted after ds' birth and I think he was too.

You can also refuse examinations if you like or if they are too painful.

Eta: I did not feel calm at all in my labour and birth! However, dh says I was very calm.
    Last edited by AdornedWithCats; 05-08-2015 at 19:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Epidurals definitely have their time and place in the birthing suite. I was deadset against having one initially but was so glad I did in the end.
    I was strapped to the monitor from basically the start of my labour due to my bub having an irregular heartbeat . Couldn't move around or use the shower at all.
    After 7 hours of not progress I finally succumbed to an epidural. I was basically given an hour to deliver Bub and went from 3 to 10cms in this time and pushed him out in 20 mins. By the time it came to pushing I was starting to get some feeling back so could feel my contractions a bit and knew when to push.
    Without the epidural I would have ended up with an emergency csection. I was up and walking about an hour after the birth

I would love to give birth completely naturally but won't fight the epi if I feel i need it

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sejimumma For This Useful Post:

Kazza78  (05-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There's no right or wrong answer. It's a personal choice that only you can make.

If you feel like you're not going be able to deal with much more pain, you'll decide to get one.

Good luck!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

meredithgreyxxx  (05-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Epidurals didn't work for me. I didn't like the way I wasn't free to move when I laboured, nor did I like the feeling of helplessness. Additionally the 3 day migraine, UTI from the catheter, nausea, low BP that followed were all rather awful.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

DT75  (06-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Epidural stalled my labour and i ended up with an emergency csection due to "failure to progress". I never wanted it but my body was pushing at 7cm dilated and the midwife kept telling me i couldn't push yet, but as i couldn't control it i was given an epidural. I won't have one with this baby if i have a choice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by meandmyboys82 View Post
    Epidural stalled my labour and i ended up with an emergency csection due to "failure to progress". I never wanted it but my body was pushing at 7cm dilated and the midwife kept telling me i couldn't push yet, but as i couldn't control it i was given an epidural. I won't have one with this baby if i have a choice.
    @meredithgrey what is the research on epidurals? As we know no two births are the same, but is it possible that a labour that progresses slowly would have progressed slowly with or without an epidural and vice versa? Have they done studies to show a direct link? I just think there may be correlation but not causation re: epidurals and things like cascades of intervention, chance of forceps, tearing etc.... But I could be wrong. If be interested what the research says.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Review of 38 studies involving 9658 women

http://www.cochrane.org/CD000331/PRE...lief-in-labour

Increased risk of operative delivery.
    Increased risk of hypotension
    Increased risk of maternal fever
    Longer second stage
    Increased need for oxytocin
    Increased risk of Caesarean section for fetal distress but no overall increased risk for a caesarean.

The fetal distress goes hand in hand with hypotension and maternal fever.

Epidurals drop your blood pressure (which is why we like them for preclamptics.) Sudden drop in blood pressure also means a sudden drop in the blood flow in the placenta which causes the fetal heart rate to drop. Which causes fetal distress and the doctors wanting to do a Caesarean section rather quickly.

The maternal fever increased the baby's heart rate and if the fetal heart continues to rise despite fluids, panadol etc then Caesarean section for fetal distress.

Longer second stage and operative (forceps or vacuum) delivery also go hand in hand for obvious reasons.

And epidurals can slow contractions down, hence the need for oxytocin/syntocinon augmentation which can also cause fetal distress if the contractions are too strong or too frequent which brings us back to caesareans again.
    Well there you go! I guess I was just lucky with my births.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I cant tell you why you should/shouldn't have an epidural but I will tell you the simplified version of why I didn't have one..... The risks far out way the benefits IMO. Good luck with your decision. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Em9 View Post
    I have a fear of birth, but not so much the pain.
    I had an epi last time after 12hra of labour after my waters broke at 37 weeks. I was not coping well emotionally as I was exhausted. I had not progressed past 4cm from 9.30-5 and that's when I was given the Epi, I then gave birth at 10.
    I used the shower to begin but was told by the midwife to hop out and have a rest after a couple of hrs, I then started gas. After a painful examination where a midwife tried to stretch my cervix I went downhill and had pethadine. I was falling asleep between contractions and basically cried from the examination to when I had the epi. I was so emotional and I hated it.
    When I was 10cm my epi was turned off to push. I felt every part of the birth which was painful but I survived.

I'm not looking for someone to make a decision for me, I'm just interested in other people's opinions.
    I want a calm birth this time it don't know how I'm going to ensure this happens.
    Water birth is not available where I live.
    I was a doula before I became pregnant our first time so was all gung-ho about having a natural birth and focusing on the evidence that an epidural would cause a cascade of unwanted interventions. I totally envisioned myself being this birth goddess in a birthing pool with no interventions. Then my pregnancy ended badly because my daughter had passed away and I had to be induced, needless to say it was a traumatic experience.

With DS I took on a more whatever was needed attitude, that I was open to epidural but wanted to see how I coped first. The first 5cm I wasn't sure if I was in labor or not, then at the hospital I lasted about three hours walking through my contractions and dilated one more CM. Then I had an epidural because I was starting to not cope well, dilated the last 4cm in under two hours because I had relaxed, 20 minutes of pushing (I could still feel when I was contracting) and out came DS. For me, the epidural definitely helped me relax so that I could birth my baby in a calm environment. The pain was making me panic and become tense and reminding me of what had happened last time I gave birth so I feel the epidural helped me have the happy birth experience I so desperately needed. I also had no issues breastfeeding due to epidural and breastfed for 13 months.

Why not decide to just see how you're coping and have the epidural if you feel you need to?

ETA: I should add that I found recovery very easy, I was up having a shower about an hour later. My anaesthetist was amazing though, I don't know if that makes a difference?
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 05-08-2015 at 22:27.