+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't have an epi with my first and I didn't enjoy feeling everything. It hurt... A lot! I plan on having an epi for my next Bub!

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Wanted one. Got one.
    Reacted badly to it (both Bub and I) so didn't get topped up and had no pain relief by the time bub arrived after an episiotomy.

Any regrets - none. Even though we reacted to it negatively. We're both fine. I was able to have a shower about 30 mins after DS was born and walk to the ward.

Would I have one again? - no as the reaction we had (drop in both heart rates and my blood pressure so I kind of passed out briefly) was such that the Ob said "best we don't try that again!"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (05-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Had one with my first after nearly 24 hours labour. Asked for one with my second, as it was going to be my last (planned) pregnancy and birth and I didn't want to remember the delivery as being horrific or negative - I now look back on it as such a positive experience, which I am so pleased about, as I had a really horrid pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an epidural with my first and had an experience similar to what meredithgrey mentioned in that it got me to relax and I dilated really quickly once it went in.

But I ended up with a forceps delivery, something that I think might have been avoided with an epidural as I was stuck on the bed. It also still hurt when it came to pushing - more than my natural birth.

With my second I had a natural water birth. I was much more prepared for this birth, chose a model of care (birth centre with same midwife ) that I felt would lead to that outcome and I was much more relaxed and hydrated the second time round.

I personally preferred my natural birth and it was a much better experience for me.

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    pain wise it's awesome :-)
    but when it comes to the pushing stage imo it sucks you can't feel your progress so I felt like my pushes were not doing anything so I don't think I was putting in 110% effort :-(
    I had one with dd1 and dd3 and needed assistance forceps (dd1) & vacuum (dd3).
    with dd2 and ds I didn't have one and didn't need assistance :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    Oh absolutely! I'm not saying epi are rubbish ☺️
    Just sharing my experience that I thoroughly enjoyed the birth without one and do regret letting them pushing one on me first time around.

But that is just my personal experience, far from any general truth.
    So I'm curious...what position were you in before you sat? I'm a bit confused as to how sitting would help...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Acadaca View Post
    So I'm curious...what position were you in before you sat? I'm a bit confused as to how sitting would help...
    I was standing so I don't see how sitting would have helped?
    I don't think that comment was about my situation though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I had one with both kids and don't regret it at all. Both were inductions at 10 days late so contractions started quickly and were 1 on top of the other straight away.

The tens machine, shower, gym ball, hypno birthing all went out the window within the first hour of trying them all as I barely had any 'down time' between contractions.

My first it wore of when I pushed, the second I didn't feel a thing. Both times I only ended up with a graze, no tearing, no cascades of interventions, none of the horror stories.

The epidural remember doesn't effect the baby like pethadine or a few other drugs, it can as others have said allow you to not be tense and stressed and in pain and you can bring your child into the world without all the stress and pain and tension and screaming you *may* otherwise go through during labour which I believe can effect the baby far more than an epidural.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (05-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FrothyFrog View Post
    I had no epi and some of my reasons for not wanting one came from my Aunt's experiences. She couldn't feel contractions but also felt no urge to push. She didn't get complete feeling back on one leg until a couple days later. So that scared me off having one as well as I had heard that it can lead to difficulties breastfeeding.
    I had no breastfeeding issues but hated how long it took to get back full feeling in legs but that was only few hours. If you've already had one that shouldn't be a factor. With me both vbacs I had epi after I stopped dilating but pain went bonkers. Both times once I had epi I progressed so I doubt I would've had vbac if not had. Bizarrely I'd still want to see how far I could get without if doing again (no chance!) - can you just wait and see how it all goes? If all straight forward first time might be quicker this time and then not having epi would mean quicker recovery (sorry if someone else said this not read full thread)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    do you know if you were dehydrated? We do a large fluid bolus through the IV whilst it's being sited to try and avoid that large blood pressure drop.

Did they need to use a medication to correct it or did it come back up by itself?
    I don't think I was dehydrated. I don't really know. I definitely had a bottle of water at the hospital (600ml) but can't really remember what I had before that. It was all pretty quick. We got to the hospital at 1245am. Waters broke 3am and Bub was born 630am.

I am 99% sure they didn't give me anything and just let the initial dose wear off. I had to ask DF because I don't really remember much.

Other than that while I did have the impact of the epidural, everything became quite pleasant and I couldn't feel a thing!