+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    This ^

I wanted a drug-free labour/birth so didn't have an epi. I laboured in water which was fantastic...something you can't do with an epi.

Having an epi has risks associated with it (ie. Cascade of intervention, stalling labour etc) so I would want to look into those in detail before deciding. It may also put you on a "time-limit".

Depending on where you birth it may cost more I think?

Do you want an epi? Do you have any concerns re labour and birth? (Ie. Fear of pain etc). What are the alternatives? Ie. Other pain relief, methods of coping with labour - calm or hypnobirthing, water, being active etc.
    I have a fear of birth, but not so much the pain.
    I had an epi last time after 12hra of labour after my waters broke at 37 weeks. I was not coping well emotionally as I was exhausted. I had not progressed past 4cm from 9.30-5 and that's when I was given the Epi, I then gave birth at 10.
    I used the shower to begin but was told by the midwife to hop out and have a rest after a couple of hrs, I then started gas. After a painful examination where a midwife tried to stretch my cervix I went downhill and had pethadine. I was falling asleep between contractions and basically cried from the examination to when I had the epi. I was so emotional and I hated it.
    When I was 10cm my epi was turned off to push. I felt every part of the birth which was painful but I survived.

I'm not looking for someone to make a decision for me, I'm just interested in other people's opinions.
    I want a calm birth this time it don't know how I'm going to ensure this happens.
    Water birth is not available where I live.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had one with my first and none with my second.

With the first, I had it when I was fully dilated and ready to push because they didn't want me to push.
    And it's so hard not to once you have the urge! Anyway, in comes the epidural and off goes the urge 😁

I didn't find labouring that painful to be honest. For me it was very manageable.

Pros for NOT having one is that recovery was a breeze in my experience. I was up having a shower 1hr after birth with my second.
    With my first I was stuck in bed with a catheter attached (eeew) and legs too weak to hold my weight.

Honestly I can't see much pros for having one except that it stops any pain.
    I found that it removed me a little from the birthing experience as you don't feel much.
    Not a fan!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (05-08-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (05-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SoReady View Post
    Oh I loved it! Yes I couldn't feel contractions or an urge to push but I had no problem pushing when they told me too and it didn't slow my labour or lead to any cascade of interventions.
    I regrettably agreed to pethidine about an hour before the epi though. I didn't want this going in but the midwife was insisting I was still in first stage (even though she hadn't checked me) and said it was too early for an epi. As soon as I had it my waters broke so she checked me and I was 7cm. This time around I will def not have pethidine again but will absolutely have another epi
    I will not have pethadine again. It made me feel horrible.

I think this time I will try gas and then if needed an epi.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Because you don't get a tooth pulled without anaesthetic so why have a watermelon pushed out your vagina without it!

If I had been allowed one then I most likely wouldn't have had a 4th degree tear and emergency forceps delivery. There were no birth suites and they won't administer then in the ward rooms.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpicyTurtle For This Useful Post:

alyce88  (06-08-2015),SHAELEEJANE  (06-08-2015),Tamtam  (05-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tell me why I should or should not have an Epidural.

My plan was not to have one so I could experience the full journey of a natural labour, pain and all
    Turns out I arrived at hospital fully dilated, so even if I had wanted one, I couldn't.
    The funny thing is, when we got there and before my cervix was checked, the midwife asked me what my plan was, I said that I might consider having one once labour gets a lot worse.... Lol I had know idea I was at the end

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    I had one with my first and none with my second.

With the first, I had it when I was fully dilated and ready to push because they didn't want me to push.
    And it's so hard not to once you have the urge! Anyway, in comes the epidural and off goes the urge 😁

I didn't find labouring that painful to be honest. For me it was very manageable.

Pros for NOT having one is that recovery was a breeze in my experience. I was up having a shower 1hr after birth with my second.
    With my first I was stuck in bed with a catheter attached (eeew) and legs too weak to hold my weight.

Honestly I can't see much pros for having one except that it stops any pain.
    I found that it removed me a little from the birthing experience as you don't feel much.
    Not a fan!
    I don't know if it was because they turned the Eli off for my pushing but I had catheter out and a shower about an her after birth in the birthing suite. I had to sit down in the shower but I walked to it and walked back to maroon afterwards.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Em9 For This Useful Post:

alyce88  (06-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one and it was heaven! I was induced for high bp/pe though so they recommended me an epi if I wanted to try and control bp and avoid a csec when my bp skyrocketed after they broke my waters. I think it really helped my labour and yes I didn't feel the urge to push or the contractions but I started vomiting at 10cm and had no pushing or breastfeeding after (fed DS until 15 months)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Time and place for everything is my theory. I've seen epidurals that have led to the typical cascade of intervention and other complications like others have said.

I've also seen many many epidurals that have allowed the woman to finally relax and not be so tense and she's gone from 3cm to 10cm in an hour after being at 3cm for the last 8. I'm also convinced that the sitting upright position to get it out it in does some absolute magic as well in getting that baby down and onto the cervix.

Strongly recommended for pre-eclampsia to lower the blood pressure and epileptics to reduce the stress and risk of a seizure.

Also great for when there's been a long latent phase or long inductions.

Time and place is my theory.
    This

I was induced and had an epidural and had a fantastic birth. I didn't feel it removed me from my birthing experience at all. I needed one and I feel no shame in saying that. My birth plan was just to roll with it and I shall do the same with my next. I managed as long as I could without and agree that sitting helped get her in position as she was quite high.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Molros For This Useful Post:

MaximumStarlight  (05-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Time and place for everything is my theory. I've seen epidurals that have led to the typical cascade of intervention and other complications like others have said.

I've also seen many many epidurals that have allowed the woman to finally relax and not be so tense and she's gone from 3cm to 10cm in an hour after being at 3cm for the last 8. I'm also convinced that the sitting upright position to get it out it in does some absolute magic as well in getting that baby down and onto the cervix.

Strongly recommended for pre-eclampsia to lower the blood pressure and epileptics to reduce the stress and risk of a seizure.

Also great for when there's been a long latent phase or long inductions.

Time and place is my theory.
    Oh absolutely! I'm not saying epi are rubbish ☺️
    Just sharing my experience that I thoroughly enjoyed the birth without one and do regret letting them pushing one on me first time around.

But that is just my personal experience, far from any general truth.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

meredithgreyxxx  (05-08-2015),Molros  (05-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tell me why I should or should not have an Epidural.

I initially didn't want one but after about 12 hours of a posterior labour with back to back contractions and needing to have a drip to speed up contractions I couldn't face the prospect of the pain so opted for an epidural. As for pushing etc I can't comment as I ended up needing an emergency c section (nothing to do with labour not progressing, was due to suspected infection in baby with very fast heart rate) and it was one of those real emergency ones where the surgeons were debating whether they had time to wait for the drugs to take effect topping up my epi to a spinal block. Had I not had the epi I would have needed a ga and I'm so grateful I didn't so in my experience having an epidural was positive.