+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didn't like the pethidine at all. I really didn't want it but my midwife wouldn't check my dilation as my contractions were not in a regular pattern and they were having trouble getting a heart reading for Bub. Therefore she was saying no to my request for an epi insisting I was still in first stage labour. She talked me into pethidine but it was pretty much the only thing she would let me have at that point and I needed something. I was very shaky so couldn't stand up anymore which was the only position I was gaining any relief from. The pethidine didn't really offer any pain relief but just made me feel druggy and shaky. About 10 min later my waters exploded and she checked and I was 7cm so she ordered the epi anyway! The problem was the anaesthetist was cranky cos I was shaking so much from the pethidine so was struggling to hold me still enough to do the epi. We got there though and the epi was the best! Next time, definitely no pethidine for me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heplusme View Post
    I was induced with ds as he was overdue. After 10 hours of back to back contractions i had only dialated enough for the mid wife to squeeze a pinky in. I hated the actual getting of the epi but i loved that i could relax. By that stage i was exhausted! I ended up having an emergancy c section due to bubs going into acute distress so i cant help with the birth.

Unfortunately 24 hours later i had a shocking head, neck and backache. The midwives kept saying it was the way i was feeding so i put up with it for 3 days, it was horrible and pain killers didnt help. Turns out it can occur when the DR puts the needle in too far and it punctures a hole in your cord, so you leak spinal fluids. I went in for what was essentially another epidural, except they take blood fron you and inject it into the epi site to 'patch up' the hole.

Pain was gone within hours. So glad i did the patch as the headache was really very delibating.
    You poor thing, spinal headaches are terrible!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tell me why I should or should not have an Epidural.

After having epi's with my first two, I really wanted to see how I'd go without one. I was healthy this time around, there were no complications with baby and being my 3rd labour, I hoped it would be a bit quicker.

I just allowed my body to do its thing. With the help of gas, I labored in the spa and strangely enough, on the toilet! That has got to be the best position to help baby down. I loved being able to move freely around the room and not be hooked up to a machine or drip.

It was by far, the best birth experience of all three and was up showering myself not long after birth.

I don't believe the rubbish about epi's causing breastfeeding problems because I had as many issues with the third as I did the other two.

Just go in with an open mind and do what is right at the time. You will know xxx

Thanks
    Reviews

Not sure I'm reading your comment correctly @meredithgrey

Just to clarify, I didn't have pethidine. I had gas & air.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought so No worries lovely x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Em9 View Post
    As the topic States...
    I'm interested in people's opinions on this form of pain relief. I had an epi with my first, wondering if I should have one this time around. Looking at pros and cons.
    Thanks
    Pro:

Sleeping through labour

Con:

Nothing

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

Em9  (27-08-2015),HollyGolightly81  (29-08-2015),lilypily  (29-08-2015),Mambo  (17-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Couldn't have done it without it or it would have been a traumatic experience from the pain. Both bubs were posterior which caused bad lower back pain as well. Either way the epidural helped me to enjoy the moment.
    Last edited by Rachael3; 29-08-2015 at 09:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had pethadine with my son and all it did was make me so sleepy that I couldn't concentrate.. Next time I won't be having anything at all.
    I didn't know it could cause problems with bf though? I've been feeding my DS for over a year, don't one problem, but he came out looking for the booby haha he knows what's up
    As for the epi, each to their own, I could never have one, and after the feeling the peth gave me, any future children (unless medically needed of course) my pain relief would be panadol and water.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Everyone is different and its a personal choice. I opted to see how I went, if I needed one that was fine same if I didn't need it. With dd1 I ended up asking for one but whilst they were setting up I pushed her out so didn't need it hahaha.... with dd2 same mindset again, but I was only in labor an hour so didn't need one again.
    We have these pain reliefs readily available so use them if you need them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just had my 2nd used TENS only, best thing ever, recovery has been so much better