+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tell me why I should or should not have an Epidural.

As the topic States...
    I'm interested in people's opinions on this form of pain relief. I had an epi with my first, wondering if I should have one this time around. Looking at pros and cons.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well, it hurts much less.

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (05-08-2015),Gentoo  (05-08-2015),MrsA2B  (05-08-2015),SpecialK  (05-08-2015),Tamtam  (05-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I had no epi and some of my reasons for not wanting one came from my Aunt's experiences. She couldn't feel contractions but also felt no urge to push. She didn't get complete feeling back on one leg until a couple days later. So that scared me off having one as well as I had heard that it can lead to difficulties breastfeeding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's a really personal choice and I would never assume to "tell you" whether you should or shouldn't have one.

I personally made the choice not to have an epidural. Going in I had a preference for not having one as I wanted to avoid the chance of cascading interventions. However I also very much held the attitude of taking everything as it came and if I'd needed an epi I was okay with that. In the end I coped really well with heat packs, tens machine and the bath so it never came up.

In terms of advantages/disadvantages a big advantage of no epi for me was being able to move around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FrothyFrog View Post
    I had no epi and some of my reasons for not wanting one came from my Aunt's experiences. She couldn't feel contractions but also felt no urge to push. She didn't get complete feeling back on one leg until a couple days later. So that scared me off having one as well as I had heard that it can lead to difficulties breastfeeding.
    I've breastfed well but the rest was me, so I want to experience labour this time. I've hired a tens machine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's a completely personal choice but similar to above I chose not to have one. I wanted to be able to get off the bed, use the bath and shower etc. I also wanted to avoid intervention and machine monitoring. I was open to it if I wasn't coping or was having a very long labour, however in the end I was fine with water alone.

No one has the right to tell you what you should or shouldn't do, do what will make you most comfortable and happy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I had an epidural with my first and it wasn't a positive experience - your typical cascade of intervention and I just avoided a c-section so I chose not to have one with my second. I had a much more positive experience - I was able to be more active and I think that helped.
    As a pp said though, it's a very personal choice. I know lots of women who had an epi and a very positive birth so you need to do what's right for you.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BettyV View Post
    I personally made the choice not to have an epidural. Going in I had a preference for not having one as I wanted to avoid the chance of cascading interventions.

In terms of advantages/disadvantages a big advantage of no epi for me was being able to move around.
    This ^

I wanted a drug-free labour/birth so didn't have an epi. I laboured in water which was fantastic...something you can't do with an epi.

Having an epi has risks associated with it (ie. Cascade of intervention, stalling labour etc) so I would want to look into those in detail before deciding. It may also put you on a "time-limit".

Depending on where you birth it may cost more I think?

Do you want an epi? Do you have any concerns re labour and birth? (Ie. Fear of pain etc). What are the alternatives? Ie. Other pain relief, methods of coping with labour - calm or hypnobirthing, water, being active etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one with my first child. It was heaven after two days of labour!! I didn't feel a thing and loved it!
    I intended to have one with my second but she was in a hurry and there was no time. I was fine without it, my second labour was no where near as painful as the first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh I loved it! Yes I couldn't feel contractions or an urge to push but I had no problem pushing when they told me too and it didn't slow my labour or lead to any cascade of interventions.
    I regrettably agreed to pethidine about an hour before the epi though. I didn't want this going in but the midwife was insisting I was still in first stage (even though she hadn't checked me) and said it was too early for an epi. As soon as I had it my waters broke so she checked me and I was 7cm. This time around I will def not have pethidine again but will absolutely have another epi