+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We've just switched to an almost completely vegetarian diet during the week and DS2 has recently toilet trained so our grocery bill has dropped dramatically. We used to average $300 a week (2 adults, 2 kids). We buy premium quality, only shop at Coles (can't be bothered going to more than one place) and I never look for specials or buy based on what's on special. We've dropped to about $200 a week since changing our diet. We meal plan and rarely buy anything that's not part of the weekly menu.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Do many people buy fish? We spend about $80 a week just on fish and seafood ( that's for 2 -3 dinners a week and maybe 2 lunches) it's never on sale so I can't really save money buying it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Do many people buy fish? We spend about $80 a week just on fish and seafood ( that's for 2 -3 dinners a week and maybe 2 lunches) it's never on sale so I can't really save money buying it!
    Yes in bulk from the markets. I buy a whole salmon and freeze in cutlets. Or I buy 2-3kg of Spanish mackerel and freeze in portions. Not very often as that's quite expensive.

I will also buy blue grenedier or trevelly if on special at woolies.

On comparison to seafood in India I find the range very poor and prices very high here in oz.

Waswifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Only when it fits my budget if under $12 for a meal. I try and keep it under $6 for the meat portion. Once or twice a fortnight I will stretch that to $12 if I can find something else in that shop on a great special.
    Ds1 always begs for fish. It his favourite. Sometimes as a special treat I pick up dh a few prawns to add to his meal or as a pre dinner snack.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We buy fish! I spend $40-$60 a week on fish/seafood for 2-3 meals. That's for 2 adults and a bit extra for bub. We spend about the same on meat; approx $80-$100 on fruit and veg; and about the same again for grocery items (including nappies and formula). Because we eat a lot of things like lentils, chickpeas, beans and quinoa and use loads of herbs and spices, which are expensive in supermarkets, I buy in bulk from specialty produce stores where they are at least half the price. E.g. 10g dried oregano leaves in Coles $2, 100g-250g from my specialty grocer $4.

We meal plan week by week. It does save money and for us it helped us cut down on food wastage, which is like throwing money in the bin. When we don't have a plan there was the constant "what are we going to have tonight?" and it wasn't necessarily healthy. DH went gluten free a few years ago and that made planning essential so that we could make sure we had enough of everything he needed for snacks, lunches and dinners. There's way more GF foods available now then there were back then, and increasing all the time.

So it terms of planning, some examples of how we save are:
    • lamb shoulder - slow roasted over the weekend with potatoes and braised greens for one dinner, then leftovers pulled off the bone and used for dinner the next night with lentil, herb salad and tahini yoghurt dressing the next night; any additional leftovers and put in a freezer bag to be used for wraps, open tacos, etc
    • roast chicken - slow roasted one night with root veggies and greens, then pull leftover meat off and use in a Thai noodle salad with carrot, cucumber, herbs and spicy dressing
    • big batches of things like veggie soups, spaghetti bolognese, beef & vegetable pasta bake, lamb stew, chicken hotpot, etc so we have leftovers. These are frozen in individual portions and are great for lunches
    • particularly at the moment with bub eating solids I try to plan things that he can have too, just a bit more mushed up and then frozen to use as needed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We spend around $50 a week on seafood. Would love to reduce our food bill but I am not willing to compromise on quality or what we eat. It's never going to reduce!!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

Cat74  (07-08-2015),Elijahs Mum  (07-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @Lincoln's mummy, I feel the same way. Quality all the way and I prefer to visit the green grocer, butcher and fish market so I know everything is super fresh.