+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyBovine View Post
    Is vegetarian eating full time really cheaper? My teenage DD is vegetarian. I spend a fortune on eggs, quality yoghurts, nuts, hummus etc other foods for to eat to keep her protein and iron levels up, and linseed for a source of omega 3s. That is on top of lentils, beans etc she has instead of meat at dinner. It would be cheaper for me if she ate budget cuts of meat - chicken drumsticks, mince.
    We're not vegetarian but the tofu we buy from Aldi is cheaper than the cheap meat we buy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I spend $250-$300 a week for a family of 4.

I meal plan, every Sunday I write 7 meals and make a shopping list of what I need to buy.

I know i spend a lot , organic dairy, nitrite free bacon and Ham, local raw honey, heaps of bits from the health food shop, quinoa instead of pasta. It adds up.

Meal planning stops food wastage for me, I make sure there are enough leftovers for work days etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Family of 6. One still in nappies.

It varies from week to week and what we need. Averages about $150 to $250. We do a big shop once a month also.

I don't meal plan but we but pretty much the same things so cook similar within the fortnight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyBovine View Post
    Feeding her since she went vegetarian had been cheap until recently - I was making her dinners based on beans, tofu and lentils and she was in control of her own lunches and breakfasts. She needed some blood tests for a medical issue and her iron levels are really really low. We recently been to a dietician who has given her an eating plan to boost her protein and iron levels. A lot of the foods and brands the dietician recommended are quite expensive. We are following the eating plan for now, but will tweek over time. Eg the dietician recommended a small tub of walnuts, almonds and pistachios every day, I bought large bags of each at $10 a bag, but they will last a long time. The dietician recommended a particular brand of hummus - $7 for a small tub, I'm going to experiment with a few recipes and make my own etc.
    Have you got her eating chia seeds and goji berries? Really high in iron ( but yes expensive!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @HappyBovine that definitely makes things a lot trickier. It sounds like you're doing all the right things but have a look at other brands of things. Those prices seem crazy. Have you tried making your own hummus? That's definitely on my to do list.

Also I make up energy balls for snacks. I blend up nuts, dates, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, coconut oil, rolled oats, peanut butter all sorts and they are super delicious.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to A&S For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (05-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Groceries - how much and what? Do you meal plan?

@HappyBovine I haven't made hummus yet but if I come up with a good recipe I'll send it to you.

These peanut butter balls are incredible but definitely use natural peanut butter.
    http://avirtualvegan.com/wp/peanut-butter-amazeballs/

I also make some salted caramel balls. I really don't have a recipe so I'll give you estimates but just play with the texture and add more dry ingredients if you need

1/2 cup roasted almonds
    6 medjool dates
    1/2 cup toasted oats
    Small handful of sunflower/ pumpkin seeds
    (I toast the oats and seeds in coconut oil until golden)
    Splash of maple syrup
    Pinch of salt
    3 tbsp chia seeds
    Blend it all together
    Roll in coconut and then refrigerate.
    So yum!!!

I'm not really one for supplements but if your daughter is a really fussy eater and her iron levels don't improve it might be worth putting her on one.

Feel free to pm me if you need some more veggie inspiration.

Good luck.
    Last edited by A&S; 05-08-2015 at 22:56.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to A&S For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (05-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Another tip i make double amounts of meals to either freeze or have two nights in a row

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I completely suck at weekly meal planning. We end up spending more but we're ok with that.
    Op do you have a set budget in mind? I find it better/easier to plan only 1-3 days at a time. DH works at coles and can buy what we need as we go

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I meal plan everything for a fortnight. So that's snacks, lunches, dinners and treats.

It works for our family. Short of special occasions we spend 100-120$/week for food and cleaning etc for 1 adult FT, 2 adults PT and 2 kids. No nappies.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found setting a limit and only shopping once per week helps us save. I set a limit of 120-140 a week (DH, me and a 1 year old) and it works well. Though we eat meat most nights.