+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As others say meal planning is key.
    One thing I do a lot of is make a meal go longer.
    Eg.
    Lamb shanks are expensive right? But I slow cook them. ..eat them with veg one night. Then shred the meat and bulk up with veggies for sauce and make lamb ragu with pasta the next night or freeze it. Usually getting 2 or three meals in total.
    I do this with roasting a large chicken too. Eat meat one night as a roast veggie dinner..chop up leftover meat to make pasta or a quick curry with rice the next.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (05-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    How much do your kids eat to have such low food bills?

Having a family of 5....we average 250 a week

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashfirst View Post
    How do I make a dump bag? What receipes can you use?
    http://www.slowcookercentral.com/fre...-slow-cookers/

I do anything with a sauce.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    As others say meal planning is key.
    One thing I do a lot of is make a meal go longer.
    Eg.
    Lamb shanks are expensive right? But I slow cook them. ..eat them with veg one night. Then shred the meat and bulk up with veggies for sauce and make lamb ragu with pasta the next night or freeze it. Usually getting 2 or three meals in total.
    I do this with roasting a large chicken too. Eat meat one night as a roast veggie dinner..chop up leftover meat to make pasta or a quick curry with rice the next.
    I do this sort thing too.
    For example the left over slow cooked whole potatoes from last night I cut up, spiced up and baconed are now roasting for tonight's dinner.

Left over roast chooks make great wrap/kebabs. Or spaghetti or pie etc..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (05-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I aim about $150 a week for two adults, 1 3yo and 1 9 month old. Night nappies for the 3yo, nappies full time for the 9 month old and he eats what we eat.

Some weeks come in just over, some weeks just under eg this week was 120 getting everything from Coles online.

I alternate a fortnight of Aldi plus some stuff from our local fruit and veg shop (and Woolies if need something Aldi don't stock) with Coles online and the local shop. I find the prices slightly higher online but I stick to my list.

I meal plan for the full 7 days plus lunches and breakfasts. We also do a Costco shop every 2months to stock up on our basics and spend about 100-170 then. I generally buy the generic brand except for a few things like Jalna yoghurt, caffeine free Coke. I make stuff from scratch like rusks, bread, veggie stock, baked goods etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We spend $150 max, often less for a family of 4. Including cleaning products and nappies.

Shopping at Aldi and not hardly buying any meat helps. I'm vegetarian. As such, my kids don't eat much meat. Maybe only once or twice a week. DH does eat meat but has always been happy to have mainly vegetarian meals at home now. He'll adapt some meals for himself and the kids though, such as adding chicken breast to fajitas. But like I said, only once or twice a week. He usually buys meat when it's reduced to clear in Woolies, and freezes it. That makes it cheaper.

We do meal plan and batch cook too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Omg I need some serious, serious help from you ladies. I spend far too much each week. I'm embarrassed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    For 2 adults, a preschooler and a toddler:
    $100 at Aldi/green grocer/butcher a fortnight and $60ish for nappies and any top ups needed for the in between week.

I do a rough meal plan, check what I already have and write a shopping list for what I need.
    Buy meat in bulk and freeze in portions, same with some other things.
    Baking and freezing snack foods/finger foods.
    Buying fresh produce in season.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyBovine View Post
    Is vegetarian eating full time really cheaper? My teenage DD is vegetarian. I spend a fortune on eggs, quality yoghurts, nuts, hummus etc other foods for to eat to keep her protein and iron levels up, and linseed for a source of omega 3s. That is on top of lentils, beans etc she has instead of meat at dinner. It would be cheaper for me if she ate budget cuts of meat - chicken drumsticks, mince.

I personally think so but to be honest I don't have much to go by because I've never really liked meat. I only ever ate free range and organic meat products when I did so my case might be a little different.

But I don't think being vegetarian has to be expensive if you don't eat excessive amounts of things like nuts and eat cheaper meals eg porridge with frozen berries for breakfast, left overs for lunch, a big healthy bowl of veggie soup for dinner.

Good on your daughter though, I drove my mum mad as a teenager being vegetarian.

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    We spend about 150 a week for two adults, a toddler and 2 cats. We meal plan a day or two in advance and always have some sort of meat/protein and vegies in the fridge for dinner.