+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Our grocery budget is $150/week for a family of 2 adults + 3kids, one in nappies. We are almost totally additive, preservative and refined sugar free. I meal plan, and make everything myself. It's hard, I wish we had $250/week life would be a lot easier. But we don't so I do the best we can with what we have lucky to live in an area where we have extremely cheap and wonderful fresh produce. We use cheaper cuts of meat, and bulk buy wherever possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We're a family of 3 and I was spending over $200.00 a week when I didn't do a weekly shop. I wasn't consistently doing a full grocery shop. I'd find myself dropping into the supermarket most days to pick up ingredients for dinner that night.

Now I do a weekly shop without fail, and it's usually between $150-$180 and I plan all our weekly meals.

I'm saving money doing it this way because I find if I keep the food stocks up, some stuff will carry over into the next week/s, which reduces the cost of the following week's shopping.

I've also saved money buying larger sizes of some products when they're on special (for example cheese, body wash).

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are 2 adults and an 18 month old. We spend around 110 a week on groceries then nappies and formula are bought every few weeks... We meal plan, I do a lot of slow cooker food in dump bags and we mainly eat chicken and veg meals (our butcher is very cheap for chicken breast though-5.99 per kg). We save a bit as I make a big batch of something for DHs work lunches...I know he sneaks off to a bit of take away on the way home though which would change our budget a bit lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We're a family of 2 adults + toddler+ cat and also feed another adult a few nights of the week. I would say our grocery bill averages out to about $110 a week including nappies, maybe a little less.

We buy meat in bulk from the butcher, base our meals on what is on special between the supermarkets, only buy fruit veg that is in season/on special, my dad has chickens so we use their eggs, meal plan sometimes, keep a pantry well stocked with basics like tin tomatoes, buy homebrand for basics, stock up on nappies when there is good specials (same with toiletries).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Heids89 For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (05-08-2015)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I spend around $80-$100 at Aldi a week, another $20 or so at the green grocers and we do 2-3 big Costco shops a year that probably adds maybe another $20 on a week. Including little trips to the milk bar and IGA I'd say we spend around $150-200 a week.
    Meal plan, bulk cooking, using in season fruit and veg have all been mentioned- I'll add eat less meat. We generally have 1 or 2 meat free meals a week and the other nights we don't eat very large portions of meat. Eg 500g of meat is enough for 2 meals for the 4 of us. I always do a roast on Sunday and make a second and sometimes third meal out of the leftover meat and/or freeze it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are around $150- $170 week for a family of 4. One in nappies

I shop online too ( Woolworths) and write out a list of meals for the fortnight and then buy ingredients I need.

I try not to pay full price for anything so shop the specials. I buy bread reduced if I can and freeze ( Helga's / Abbott's) we do use some organic produce....I buy organic where I think its the most important. So we use organic milk ( so much nicer) and organic apples. Coles and woolies now do their own line of certified organic produce which is usually only a little dearer than regular stuff.

Fruit veggies and eggs I buy from a fruit n veg market and make the most of their specials.

I find butchers just as expensive if not more expensive than the supermarkets. I try and buy cheap cuts and slow cook and always buy chicken breast from the deli at the supermarket its usually max $9 a kg often cheaper

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh yes and definitely stock up on items used daily when on special

Thanks
    Reviews
    This month I've tried to budget for $125/week and that's for 2 adults and 1 child. We have 11 days til our next month starts and have blown the budget by about $50 so far. That includes everything you'd buy at a supermarket (so, nappies, cleaning products, etc).

Organisation is absolute key for me - it saves money when I've worked out our meals and snacks (and actually pack them and remember to take them when we're out!). I also find it hard to balance nutritional meals my family will actually eat - it's so cheap for us to have toasties for one or two nights a fortnight, but not really a balanced meal.

When I'm organised, I have a list of meals we'll all eat and plan the week or fortnights meals based on those and what's on special. I'm going to try and push out the next 11 days to only restocking bread, milk, and fruit so hopefully that'll minimise any further over budget spending. I hope

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Groceries - how much and what? Do you meal plan?

It's only DP and I at the moment but we spend $100 per week on food. We are both vegetarians so that cuts costs. I make 1 or 2 big batches of soup per fortnight, and a veggie lasagna or cannelloni. I think the key is to always have a few meals in the freezer and definitely cook in bulk.
    If you cut down your meat intake you can reduce your food bill significantly

Thanks
    Reviews
    How do I make a dump bag? What receipes can you use?