+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Groceries - how much and what? Do you meal plan?

As part of my financial year resolutions.....I am trying to be a more aware of the money I am spending and stop being so wasteful.
    I worked out that I am spending over $400 a week on groceries. I am still buying nappies and formula for my youngest but this seems really excessive for a family of 4.
    I also seem to waste so much food......

How much do you do you spend on groceries each week? Do you meal plan? Do you have any hints and tips to help me??

Thanks in advance..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We are a family of 5 (1 in nappies). We spend $120 a week (Coles online). $30 a week at the fruit and veg shop and about $150 a month at Costco. So that totals about $190 a week. School snacks, cereals, toilet paper and wipes from Costco saves us quite a bit. Sometimes i struggle to spend over $100 at Coles to get free delivery.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Meal plan making sure you plan a couldn't be bothered meal or two.

Dump bags are great for busy days.

Cook meals and freeze for busy or bad/sick days. I do this in bulk 10 to 20 meals in a few hours and it last a month or two.

Double batching is amazing saving money

Bulk up meals with cheaper veggies

Cook your own snacks.

End of week soup to use up leftover veggies.

Cook to the season

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Subbing!
    I'm at the shops every second or third day.
    It's costing us a fortune!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    following!!!! I need cut costs

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started meal planning about two years ago (before that I was at the shops almost every day, lots of food being thrown away/going off/being forgotten). Now I just buy what we need. I also really like coming home from work and knowing what is for dinner and no need to head to the shops.
    Only DP and I, but we spend approx $140/week on food without buying cheaper cuts etc. I do all our shopping at the markets and save about $70/week compared to buying at Woolies/coles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I found I save online doing Coles online shopping as I stick to what I need and don't wander passed things in the aisles and think "ooh that's new I should try it".
    I tried meal planning a few weeks ago and it was good at stopping wastage but some nights I couldn't be bothered to cook what i'd planned.
    So plan a few super easy meals for the "couldn't be stuffed nights" and for some of the meals make sure you cook too much so you can freeze for other nights.
    Towards the end of the week I do a "fridge surprise" dinner where I improvise with whatever is looking a bit close to its death in the fridge to ensure I don't waste.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I probably spend about $350 a week, but I have one in full time nappies and 2 in night nappies, and I buy all organic meat, eggs and diary and some organic fruit and veg. I have a baby who has just started solids, a 3yo who eats almost nothing, a 6yo who eats like a teenage boy (twice as much as me) and DH and I.
    I meal plan dinners, 2 weeks in advance.
    I visit the butcher once a fortnight, do Coles online once a week and have a fruit and vegetable box delivered once a week, and occasionally go to the farmers market for a top up of fruit and veg on the weekend.
    I get a loaf of bread from the bakery when we need it, probably 3 times a week.
    We try not to eat sugar so I don't buy many snacks or desserts, my kids snack on fruit, or something I've baked (on the rare occasions I bake) and occasionally I'll buy them muesli bars. Also don't buy breakfast cereal except for rolled oats and weetbix.

I also grow herbs, lettuce, spinach and kale in my veggie garden, I think this saves a bit
    Oh and we usually have a Sunday roast and the leftover meat goes into DS and DH's sandwiches for the week. Or the leftover meat goes into another meal- I have the Save with Jamie (Oliver) recipe book which is great for this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    A family of 6 (2 adults, 4 kids- 2 in nappies full time, 2 in night time pull ups) plus a dog, we spend $250- $300 a fortnight, plus top ups of milk and bread every couple of days.

I meal plan and buy only what I need. I stick to my shopping list. We dont have aldi or Costco so limited to Coles or Woolies. Our biggest cost is nappies so when boxes are on sale I stock up, dd2 (night time only) and dd3 (full time) are the same size so they share a box. I buy most vege frozen as for us it works out cheaper and means im not throwing out a stack of rotten unused vege. I buy fruit thats in season. Homebrand stuff where possible (eg alfoil/cling wrap, baby wipes in the bulk box).

Our grocery bill used to be up around the $450- $500 mark a fortnight. Once I started meal planning, it dropped dramatically. I dont have a set meal each night, i just plan enough meals to cover the fortnight and pick which one I feel like cooking on the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I shop at an organic store and spend $200 per week including dog/cat food from Coles. All organic meat, veggies, dairy and condiments. When I used to shop at Coles the extra money was spent on additional things like nice cheeses, frozen food, junk food. They don't sell any of that at the organic store so I can't buy it! Plus we now eat incredibly healthy