+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Will my placenta move?

I have been advised that I have a low-lying placenta. It is currently less than 1cm from my cervix. My doctor told me if it doesn't move I will most likely have an elective c section at 38 weeks.

I am absolutely petrified of a c section, any kind of medical procedure terrifies me.

I had so many questions to ask but I just felt like crying so didn't want to push myself over the edge.

I am hoping I may be able to get some answers before my next check up to help calm my nerves a little. My questions are:

1. Will my placenta move? What is the likelihood of it moving?
    2. Will I have the option of epidural/general anesthetic. (I have never been under so I'm petrified I may have a reaction)
    3. Will I still be able to delayed cord clamp with a c section?
    4. Will the hospital give me birth options for an elective c section? Will I get skin to skin time? I don't want my birth to be wham bam thank you mam.
    5. Will the hospital allow me to have a scan at 37 weeks (before they schedule a c section) to definitely make sure it's necessary.

I think that's all for now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmummahen View Post
    I have been advised that I have a low-lying placenta. It is currently less than 1cm from my cervix. My doctor told me if it doesn't move I will most likely have an elective c section at 38 weeks.

I am absolutely petrified of a c section, any kind of medical procedure terrifies me.

I had so many questions to ask but I just felt like crying so didn't want to push myself over the edge.

I am hoping I may be able to get some answers before my next check up to help calm my nerves a little. My questions are:

1. Will my placenta move? What is the likelihood of it moving?
    2. Will I have the option of epidural/general anesthetic. (I have never been under so I'm petrified I may have a reaction)
    3. Will I still be able to delayed cord clamp with a c section?
    4. Will the hospital give me birth options for an elective c section? Will I get skin to skin time? I don't want my birth to be wham bam thank you mam.
    5. Will the hospital allow me to have a scan at 37 weeks (before they schedule a c section) to definitely make sure it's necessary.

I think that's all for now.
    Hi there, I had a grade 3 low lying that didn't move and required a c section. I was told about 70% move out of the way but I was in the 30%. C section can be done with a spinal block where you stay awake but are numb from the waist down or a General which puts you to sleep. They generally prefer not to do a GA as the anaesthetic in a general has a small chance of affecting bub as well. But yes you will likely have the choice unless it becomes an emergency. Delayed cord clamping and skin to skin wishes I think is negotiated with your individual dr and hospital policies etc. Its very likely you will have a scan at 32 weeks and if it hasn't moved by then it's unlikely to so most people don't have further scans after 32 weeks. Hope that helps, best of luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your advice. I hope mine moves. I am so terrified of having a c section.