Quote Originally Posted by Mummalovexx View Post
Yes that's right. We originally started in 2010 and it took 3 months to get the specific gene identified then another 18 months to have the PGD test developed! Luckily it is a lot faster now (about 4-6weeks at our clinic). Then you need to go through all the regular IVF appointments which is fertility assessment (blood tests for you and your partner, an ultrasound for you and semen analysis for your partner). Also need to do your police checks if your in Victoria, I'm not sure about other states. And do your genetics counselling and IVF counselling. It's a slow process and involves a lot of appointments which can be hard when your trying to work at the same time. Also forgot to mention that you may also need to get dna samples (cheek swabs) from you and/or your partners parents for the PGD test development. We had to do this for ours. My advice is prepare for it to be a slow process. It can be very frustrating and there seems to be so many hoops you have to jump through just to get started. It's hard when you are so excited to get pregnant. Once your PGD test is developed you just proceed with a regular IVF icsi cycle. After egg collection our clinic does a day 5 embryo biopsy to complete the PGD test and then freezes the embryos. It then takes 2-3 weeks to get the results. You can then transfer a healthy embryo doing a thaw cycle. I hope I haven't confused you with all this info. It's a lot to take in.
Thank you very much for the explanation, it's very helpful