+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 5 week old hates the pram - help me!!

Hi everyone, my gorgeous 5 week old baby girl absolutely hates going in the pram. Car seat too but to a lesser extent. She cries almost straight away going in the pram no matter what, to the point I just have to pick her up and carry her. Today I tried bringing the pram inside the house so I could get her in it where it's nice and warm and I thought I would practice just pushing her around the lounge room. I fed her up til she was sleepy popped her in and she screamed straight away so I picked her up calmed her down and warmed the pram with a wheat bag as I thought maybe it was too cold. Tried again and she went hysterical (without me even doing the buckles up) . So I changed her, fed her a bit more til she was calm and sleepy again popped her in asleep and she lasted about 10 minutes (just in the house) before waking up screaming. I have her nice and warm in there with a lovely blanket and the straps aren't too tight or anything. She's fine in her bassinet, fine when she's held she just hates the pram. It's a baby jogger city mini if that makes any difference, and I have a pram liner and newborn head support cushion.
    Anyone have any ideas about how I can help her like the pram as right now I am too stressed to try and leave the house with her which isn't good for either of us. I've bought a carrier (ergobaby) but really need to be able to use the pram too. Thanks so much

Thanks
    Reviews
    I honestly had to learn to love the ergo. My Bub is 1 now and will sit in the pram/car for a little while happily, but would scream bloody murder until he was 7 or 8 months old. He had reflux so hated being anywhere close to horizontal.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CakeyMumma For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (04-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have much to contribute except that the city mini has a bassinet attachment. They are a bit pricey (~$300) but if it saves your sanity it will be well worth it

I have the same pram with a head support insert thing too and my 6 week old has been fine in there since birth. Her cot and bassinet are a different story...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My kids hated the pram if it was fully reclined back but at an incline they were happier.

Tho in the carrier they were the happiest.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I don't have much to contribute except that the city mini has a bassinet attachment. They are a bit pricey (~$300) but if it saves your sanity it will be well worth it

I have the same pram with a head support insert thing too and my 6 week old has been fine in there since birth. Her cot and bassinet are a different story...
    I was going to suggest the bassinet attachment as well.

My DS didn't love the pram so we would use a combo of carrier/pram as needed. Still do now. He much prefers the carrier though.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try a boba wrap or any other stretchy wrap. Seriously don't be put off by having to learn how to put it on because you'll never look back. Young babies love them and you'll be free to walk around with a calm baby.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Candiceo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    All of my babies hated the pram. By the time #4 arrived I had mothballed it. I only used a carrier. Even now my youngest is 2 she won't sit in a stroller preferring to walk. I had all these visions of long pram walks before I had my first which I had to let go of. She just screamed too much. The rest were no better so I stopped worrying and wore them all. Great for weight loss!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

CakeyMumma  (04-08-2015),gingermillie  (04-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ds also hated the pram at that age but honestly I just kept putting him in there. Very short stints to begin with, then slowly stretched them out and would walk around the block as he started to tolerate it more. Once he realised that actually it was ok being in there and there were new things to see, he's been fine. He loves the pram now at 10 months and will sit in it quite happily. I also have the city mini and never bothered with the bassinet attachment. I also used a carrier a lot and still do. When he was a newborn I used it heaps but I also wanted him to get used to a pram for the days I didn't want to or couldn't carry him.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My youngest is 9 weeks, and there's no way he'd be calm in a pram. I only put him in I'm getting him to sleep & we're out constantly moving. He'll be swaddled, and often have a dummy. At this age he's generally feeding, being changed, wants to be held or needs to sleep. There's not really any opportunity for him to lay happily in the pram. I'm assuming that as he gets older and is more interested in the world, he'll be happier to be in the pram awake. If not, I'll just stick to having him in carriers.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the advice! I do need to get onto the carrier over the next couple of weeks. I hadn't thought of the bassinet to be honest but that was such a good idea I went onto gumtree straight away and found one second hand for $100 and picked it up tonight!! I really think that will help for now, just to get her used to being wheeled around and going different places. She's a tiny baby (3kg at 5 weeks) so will fit in it for ages. Am really hoping that the bassinet helps boost my confidence in getting out and about so thanks again

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (04-08-2015),ScubaGal  (04-08-2015)