+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Any placenta experts on BH? Very abnormal placenta...

Hi everyone, hoping there is someone on BH that has some knowledge about placental problems. I'll be discussing this with my ob and looking for a clinical expert in this area but always useful to get extra opinions.
    I am 33 and just had my first baby (IVF) almost 5 weeks ago. She was born at 36+4 weeks via emergency c-section due to severe preeclampsia (I was in ICU almost eclamptic and spent 10 days in hospital and still having some ongoing issues). I was diagnosed with early onset preeclampsia at 31 weeks so we did well to get that far. Up til 29 weeks I breezed through my pregnancy and then the preeclampsia symptoms started, I was put on hypertension medication at 31 weeks and had minimum twice weekly check ups from then on. The last 2 weeks of the pregnancy I felt pretty rotten and then things escalated very badly very quickly.
    My placenta was sent for pathology testing and it was grossly abnormal. Here are the findings - if anyone has any info/experience with any of these I'd love to hear your stories, particularly if you went on to have any more babies:
    1. grossly undersized for gestation (it was 278g, the 10th percentile for gestation is 391g and mean for gestation is 478g)
    2. villous hypoplasia
    3. villous immaturity
    4. chronic villitis
    5. Haemorrhage adherent 5% of surface
    6. Haemorrhagic lesion measuring 10mmx7mm
    7. poorly formed vasculosynctial membranes
    My baby girl was born small, my last growth scan was at 32 weeks and she was 59th percentile estimated weight - at birth she was 15th percentile for gestation. I should have pushed for a 34 weeks scan.
    I understand the placental problems likely caused the preeclampsia (and vice versa the preeclampsia would have contributed to her being small and placenta issues too). I also understand that some of the abnormalities are correlated with late gestation fetal death and growth retardation and there is a reasonable likelihood of recurrence.
    I am struggling to come to terms with what happened - she's fine now, she was in neonatal care for 2 weeks but she is home and she'll be fine. I just can't shake that it was only good luck that she is ok, I knew things weren't great but I have wracked my brain over what I could have done differently in those past few weeks and the only thing I can come up with is they may have delivered her 2 weeks earlier (outcome being me not getting so sick but she probably would have required more intervention and hospitalisation). I just can't help but think we were very close to losing her. The last month of my pregnancy she was very 'quiet' which I put down to her getting bigger, less room etc. I now believe she was under stress and conserving energy in there. Luckily there is no evidence she was hypoxic.
    I am at this point terrified to have another baby in future in case this recurs with a worse outcome. Anyone have any insight into these kinds of placental problems?? Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My experience is different, I actually lost my first son at 39wks due to insufficient placenta. It was wasn't functioning properly and I think was underweight too (if need to check the report) my son was born weighing only 4.9lbs, at 39wks.

I was so worried it would happen in future pregnancies and have been classed as high risk and have been given lots of scans and check ups to make sure it wasn't happening again.

I have gone on to have two more healthy babies, my next ds was 7.15lbs at 37.5wks & my dd was 9.2lbs at 38.1wks! Totally normal healthy placentas and no problems at all.

Just wanted to share that in my case it hasn't happened again and was just a once off. We still don't know why my placenta was so bad with my first ds

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrswhitehouse For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (04-08-2015),gingermillie  (14-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So sorry to hear of your previous loss @mrswhitehouse that must have been truly devastating. It is great that you went on to have healthy pregnancies after that. My girl was 5lb8 at almost 37 weeks so not as tiny as your little man was but still well smaller than we expected.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    @gingermillie thank heaven she's ok.

I don't know anything about the specific issues you mention but I did have a birth that wasn't at all what I'd been expecting, that also left me worried about the next time; and I wonder if on top of your concerns about the specifics maybe you've also experienced a big shock about how things turned out...

Anyway I wanted to say for me it took till about 8 weeks to stop feeling that shock so acutely, so I just wanted to say hang in there and I hope you get some answers.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (14-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Any placenta experts on BH? Very abnormal placenta...

I am sorry to hear that gingermillie and Whitehouse too. I ain't expert. From what I read, most dysfunctional placenta will cause pre eclampsia. It is less chance the other way around. Do you have any immune problem that hasn't been diagnosed? When I had the chemical preg and found out about the high ANA, I was told that it is likely the cause of it. My immune system will cause the placenta to inflame and thus it doesn't have a chance to continue developing. I was told that I have a higher risk for it. I know few other ladies, who have immune problem, got preeclampsia. However, I feel that It is quite random, who actually gets it in the end.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bbhope For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    What did the doctor say about all these in the end?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bbhope For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone and thanks @bbhope for checking in with me I've been a bit consumed with my 6 week old terror
    My ob appt is on Tuesday so I'll be discussing it then! She is quite laid back and not too forthcoming though so hopefully it's productive.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (16-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Gingermillie, I was just wondering how you went with follow up with your doctor? I hope you got some answers

Although I didn't get it as bad as you I have recently had a very similar experience. I had our little girl at 36+4 on the 26th June due to pre eclampsia. I had really high blood pressure since 16 weeks & by the end of it was on high dose of 3 different types of blood pressure medications. Towards the end I felt different & like something was wrong from about the 30 week mark. I believe I had pre eclampsia then but the protein hadn't shown up. I had a growth scan every 2 weeks from 24 weeks due to dd being between 9th-11th growth percentile. At each scan it showed my placenta was functioning well. This concerns me a little for the next pregnancy because on the 24th of June I had a growth scan which showed bub happy & placenta working well. I had a doctors appointment on the 25th of June where protein was found & urine & had high blood pressure so I was told was having a cesarian on the 26th. When the doctor did the cesarian section he told me that it was lucky he took dd out when he did because my placenta was all calcified & wouldn't have been working well which is probably why dd was born very small. I wonder why the scan showed all was well? I've been told the next pregnancy they will be watching me very carefully again but it was never picked up the first time. Anyway, I hope you got some answers & I hope all is well now with you & your bub

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rocky27 For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (24-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @Rocky27, sorry to hear you went through something similar.
    I had my appointment last week. No real answers. She said there's no way to tell during pregnancy if these defects are present other than monitoring baby for signs of distress/poor growth and monitoring me for preeclampsia again. She suggested a 30-50% chance of recurrence of the placental abnormalities and same for preeclampsia, to take aspirin during subsequent pregnancy, and of course extra monitoring. She said it may be indicative of an autoimmune disease. She acknowledged that it was very good that we got her out when we did as the outcome could have been much worse. In hindsight we should have had an extra scan at 34 weeks and probably should have had the c-section then (which They almost did but then decided to try and push it out to get as close to 38 weeks as possible). So yeah good luck we were ok rather than good management I think. Still doubtful I'll have another baby as the stress of worrying about this happening again would be quite bad I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    gingermillie: if you ever going to have a second child, i would recommend to get autoimmune issue a throughout check. It is common for those to have the immune issue to develop preeclampsia. xx