+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Traditional swaddeling

Hi there

I have a 4 week old who tries constantly to breakfree from a traditional swaddel ie hands down wrapped and is waking crying until he escapes. I think he would prefer to have his hands up close to his face but his startle reflex is still quite strong so he keeps waking up.

Any suggestions on different swaddeling techniques? I have tried love to dream and ergo pouch with little success.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My second is doing well with ergo pouches, but my first was a bit of a nightmare.
    We found a firm traditional swaddle, then covered in a velcro or zip swaddle worked well. The former kept her secure, while the latter stopped her from getting out of it.

ETA: when i said 'traditional swaddling', I meant with arms up the way others have said...didn't realise there was another way!
    Last edited by Renn; 03-08-2015 at 10:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    When DS was that little he wanted his hands up around his face too. I was nearly impossible keep him swaddled with his arms down. Using traditional swaddles to wrap, I'd spread the swaddle out flat and then fold over the top approx. 10cm. I'd then lie bub on top, put his hands/arms into the folded section and wrap as normal. That way, he could have his hands up but still be swaddled. Does my explanation of that fold make sense???

I also bought Love to Dream swaddles, but he didn't really like them until he was a couple of months old. When he got used to them they were ultimately better because he could have his hands/arms up but couldn't escape, plus they were nice and snug so he felt secure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    He might still be able to break free but a midwife showed me a way of swaddling with a wrap with arms up. You lay the fabric flat and then fold the top edge about 10cm down. Lay baby on fabric with the edge straight and tuck arms under the fold so they are upwards. Then wrap as normal.
    I've got an ergo swaddle and although the arms are supposed to go across body I wrap with them up and it works ok. Only got one arm out once!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks nh2489 and cat74 I will give this a go now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So we tried and he fell asleep much better but his startle reflex kicked in and disturb his sleep😩

Thanks
    Reviews
    I swaddle with two muslin wraps. Lay wraps one on top of the other. Lay bub on top. Use first layer of wraps to wrap over bubs arm and then under bub. Use second layer to swaddle over the top. Bub can NOT get arms out but you don't really have to do it too tight. I'm not sure if this description makes sense. I can try to send you a video via PM if you like. Xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks redcreamingsoda i will give that a try tonight

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When DS was teeny i used to swaddle him arms up with a muslin wrap then put him in the love to dream zip up swaddle. (In winter)

After about a month i stopped doing the wrap underneath and just used the love to dream swaddles till he outgrew the largest size

Thanks
    Reviews
    Any luck torn?