+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Moody Children. who has them?

my 6.5 year old dd is extremely moody. I don't know why. well she has always been moody but not this moody. at school she is perfectly fine according to her teacher.. what on earth makes these kids so moody. it's like dealing with a teen. I would really like to improve our relationship but it ain't happening with her being such a sourpuss all the time. I've asked her if anybody is picking on her, done something to her etc, same response is ''no''.. im dreading the teen years already. I feel like I can't even enjoy my child in her younger years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our dd1 who is 4 years, 9 months old can be really moody at times you would think she was going on 14 😕 but she can b the sweetest thing too lol

I think it's pretty normal. Emotionally / mentally they go through heaps of changes around this age apparently

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (03-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I have at different times. Its normally just a stage.
    It's all part of learning what each mood feels like and different ways to cope or handle those feelings. It's a great teaching opportunity. I know it doesn't feel like it but really can be. Take time to recognise and acknowledge how the feel. Why they might feel that way. Allow them to find a way to deal with it before offering suggestions/options on how to deal with it. Always give more than one option.

Thats my take on it anyhow.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (03-08-2015),GlitterFarts  (03-08-2015),misskittyfantastico  (03-08-2015),SoThisIsLove  (03-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    any ideas on how to deal with it. i don't think im going the right way about it. that said tho, ive had to focus a lot more attention on ds1 as he has had some issues come up. I don't know if she is jealous or what to do about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends what you mean by 'moody'.
    My DD was always a massive drama queen. Massive meltdown tantrums from when she was 13 months old. Very stubborn. Impossible to deal with. I dreaded her teen years. Absolutely dreaded!! At 10yo now, she has recently been diagnosed with anxiety. Her psych asked about a history of "big feelings"... yep, definitely a history there! However she has grown into a very very insightful girl, and as such is now a delight to get a long with, she always takes my wellbeing into consideration and is able to be reasoned with very easily. I'm not sure if those behaviours are linked or not. She does still get sulky sometimes, as girls do, and nothing can snap her out of it, but generally she is wonderful.
    Tips? I had to just ignore her cr@ppy behaviour, as there was NOTHING I could do at the time to cheer her up.

My DS2 though.... OMG so moody. I think he has "big feelings" too. He is almost 8. I think he just has a very sensitive personality, I also think he is not a confident child, so I think that has a big effect on his moods too. So far, I am just working on building up his confidence so that he is happier within himself, in an effort to cut out his super-sad moments and his super-angry moments.

Don't know if that helps you at all!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (03-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks CMF - yes it does help. she's extremely spoilt i won't deny that. it took years to conceive her and she has everything a child could want. she's sensitive and has a domineering personality. she HAS to be first, the best, on top of everything and i always tell her it's OK if she's not, if she doesn't come first, im still just as happy with her, she made the effort that's all that counts. if she can't achieve something she cries and takes it personally. it's exhausting. i know she probably sees that im that way too. i also have anxiety so I'm not exactly helping myself as she's mimicking me I'd say. she never yells or anything, just b!tchy carryon that is petty.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitterFarts View Post
    thanks CMF - yes it does help. she's extremely spoilt i won't deny that. it took years to conceive her and she has everything a child could want. she's sensitive and has a domineering personality. she HAS to be first, the best, on top of everything and i always tell her it's OK if she's not, if she doesn't come first, im still just as happy with her, she made the effort that's all that counts. if she can't achieve something she cries and takes it personally. it's exhausting. i know she probably sees that im that way too. i also have anxiety so I'm not exactly helping myself as she's mimicking me I'd say. she never yells or anything, just b!tchy carryon that is petty.
    That sounds a lot like my DS2. He has to get things right and perfect first go, otherwise he "sucks at this", and he says he'll "never ever be able to do it". Drives me nuts lol. I think he is a perfectionist, which I am as well unfortunately. I just have to always remind him that it's normal to not be able to do something first go, that he's only a kid so no one expects perfection etc etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You should meet my almost 9yo DD! Biggest, moodiest, most terrible back-chatting, smart-a*se attitude, argumentative person in the house. Ugh. It sucks, it's hard and it's normal, a lot of it can be hormonal changes. I think in my house it's the change from child to tween.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    You should meet my almost 9yo DD! Biggest, moodiest, most terrible back-chatting, smart-a*se attitude, argumentative person in the house. Ugh. It sucks, it's hard and it's normal, a lot of it can be hormonal changes. I think in my house it's the change from child to tween.
    Exactly this for my 10 yr old dd.