+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Co-sleeping with a newborn

Keen to hear experiences/stories of those who have co-slept with their newborn, whether using a co-sleeper or in the bed. How did it work for you? Did you have any issues transferring bubs to a basinet or cot later on?

I am aware of the risks and safety measures and not interested in receiving judgement/advice against co-sleeping, so please refrain from replying if you are of this opinion.

Thanks!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We co slept for ds first 4 months he was and still is a terrible sleeper!
    He was in the crook of my arm facing the edge of the bed, never had any problems moving him and he transitioned to his cot really easily.
    We usually slept in our spare bed if husband had a late night or a few drinks
    Goodluck! I really enjoyed it and it worked really well for us.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hoping28 For This Useful Post:

Fi Poledancer  (03-08-2015)

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I have coslept with ds since birth. For the first couple of weeks it was just ds and I in the bed while we got the hang of it. Dh slept in the spare bed though still helped in the middle of the night. We had latching issues early on so even though we coslept I had to get up to feed ds.

Once dh joined us in bed, I slept in the middle with ds on my right, dh on my left. The mother is much more aware of her baby than the father so its safer if bub is on mum's side of the bed. Ds had separate beddings (ie. Wraps, blankets) and I curled my knees up underneath him to stop him wiggling down the bed (I'm not sure he would have anyway but my midwife warned me about them wiggling down under the covers). I put my bottom arm over the top of his head (this can help keep pillows away too). I tucked my covers in underneath me, up to my waist to keep them away from ds. Ds was at b.oob height - they need to be well away from the pillows.

After the first couple of months we mastered feeding while lying down which made life so much easier - no more having to get out of bed to feed! I found I could feed from both b.oobs while lying on my right hand side. Yes, it did often get uncomfortable sleeping mostly in the one position but it was managable imo. When I could, I would try and get some sleep on my back (keeping one arm above ds' head and making sure my covers were away from him).

Ds is 18 months and we still cosleep. I'm not interested in transferring him out yet. Probably not until after we have #2 depending on whether we will use a cosleeper for the next bub or not.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Fi Poledancer  (03-08-2015),Monkey Joy  (02-08-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (02-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I used a co-sleeper bassinet, as DS2 wouldn't settle in the cot, and I didn't feel comfortable with him in the bed as a newborn. He transitioned to a cot easily at 3 months. Now at 10 months he is in the bed with me though!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

Fi Poledancer  (03-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    All 6 of mine Co slept from day 1. They all slept in my arms. We found we all got more sleep.

We both don't drink or smoke.
    We always kept siblings away from bub in the bed.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (12-11-2015),Fi Poledancer  (03-08-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (02-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post
    I have coslept with ds since birth. For the first couple of weeks it was just ds and I in the bed while we got the hang of it. Dh slept in the spare bed though still helped in the middle of the night. We had latching issues early on so even though we coslept I had to get up to feed ds.

Once dh joined us in bed, I slept in the middle with ds on my right, dh on my left. The mother is much more aware of her baby than the father so its safer if bub is on mum's side of the bed. Ds had separate beddings (ie. Wraps, blankets) and I curled my knees up underneath him to stop him wiggling down the bed (I'm not sure he would have anyway but my midwife warned me about them wiggling down under the covers). I put my bottom arm over the top of his head (this can help keep pillows away too). I tucked my covers in underneath me, up to my waist to keep them away from ds. Ds was at b.oob height - they need to be well away from the pillows.

After the first couple of months we mastered feeding while lying down which made life so much easier - no more having to get out of bed to feed! I found I could feed from both b.oobs while lying on my right hand side. Yes, it did often get uncomfortable sleeping mostly in the one position but it was managable imo. When I could, I would try and get some sleep on my back (keeping one arm above ds' head and making sure my covers were away from him).

Ds is 18 months and we still cosleep. I'm not interested in transferring him out yet. Probably not until after we have #2 depending on whether we will use a cosleeper for the next bub or not.
    Awesome answer. Thank you for giving such detail.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Monkey Joy For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (02-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AdornedWithCats View Post

This is what we did too. Only difference is our kids started in their beds and then moved to mine after I went to bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes I have co slept with all. Still co sleeping with my 11 month old and we often lie with my older children if they have bad dreams/ sick in their beds.

For my baby we have a cot next to bed which we try and put him down in at first. He usually can sleep in there for a couple if hours then wakes and wants to feed. He's teething and likes to sleep next to me so he can breastfeed most of the night. He's slept with me and been a big cluster feeder for most of his life. And no he doesn't really transfer well.

I never planned to co sleep. I decorated a beautiful nursery for each of my children but they all wanted to sleep with us. IMO, that's fine. It's what they need and it's what works best

Eta... And as happy bovine said this way is what gives me the most sleep. My DS can literally feed for hours, I just couldn't sit up and feed him like that and then get up to do kinder run look after my toddler & baby etc. He still lies under the crook of my arm and I fall in and out of sleep all night. But it's better than sitting up and not getting and sleep at all
    Last edited by yadot; 02-08-2015 at 09:48.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yadot For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (02-08-2015),Fi Poledancer  (03-08-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (02-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    With my first we only started cosleeping after about 4am wake up since she was born. After about 4 months she went full time. She was fine transitioning to a cot at about 12 months but still would wake up and then she'd be in with us and then went fine into a big bed and started sleeping through most nights.

My second went nearly straight into bed with us as he wouldn't sleep in a bassinette. He slept in the crook of my arm, with me on my side, and away from the edge of the bed. l'd dress warmly so there would be no need for blankets near him. I used to wake up and feed him sitting up but then I quickly got used to feeding laying down. At 9 months he is still in with us and we have sidecarred our cot for a bit extra room as occasionally our 3 year old comes in (they never sleep next to each other it usually goes DS in cot, me, DD, DH).

Neither my hubby or I have any risk factors (medications, smoking, alcohol etc).

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smallpotatoes For This Useful Post:

Fi Poledancer  (03-08-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (02-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you very much for the responses. It's nice to hear a range of experiences since all the midwives say is DON'T do it !!
    @hoping28 @LoveLivesHere My DS likes to be held against my chest too (in a froggy position) rather than lying in the bed. I hold him on the side towards the middle of the bed with no covers or pillows in the way. It’s amazing how you don’t drop them and instinctively wake up when they move! He seems to be settling more easily in his rocker chair so I am hoping to transition him into his bassinette within the next few weeks – he’s only 11 days old so no rush. @HappyBovine our co-sleeping sort of started by accident too because I was intending just to hold DS but I fell asleep. When I woke up to him sleeping soundly in the exact same position I realised it might be a good fit for us. Yep @yadot if we were trying to force him into his bassinet I would have been getting an hours sleep a night, whereas mixing in co-sleeping I get about 6-7 hours in 2 hour blocks.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fi Poledancer For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (03-08-2015),hoping28  (04-08-2015)