+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I too am calling BS on formula makes babies sleep longer, both DS was formula fed from 3 weeks and was a cr@p sleeper, DD was formula fed from day 2 and is now 11 months and only just starting to sleep through after 10 months of hell not sleeping.

Do what you think is best, bear in mind a 4 week old baby can't self settle.. I googled the "4th trimester" quite informative and helpful.

Good luck and congrats!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That sleep pattern sounds very normal for that age. You never know, in a couple more weeks the night sleeping may improve, but yes I agree, don't listen to that formula advise. I've noticed that our mothers and grandmothers had very different ways of bringing up baby. You do what feels right for you....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazza78 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (01-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree - sounds normal. Both my kids woke regularly for feeds overnight as newborns, yet it gradually gets less and less as they get older. They are great sleepers. At 4 weeks you have no idea what kind of "sleeper" baby will be. They are still too new to the world and you are still establishing your breastfeeding relationship. I know it's tough in these early weeks but it does get easier

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Feeding every 2-3 hrs is normal at that age for an exclusively BF bub Luv.

It takes them until they're at least 12 weeks to establish their circadian rhythm (body clock) which is why they don't understand the difference between night @ day etc. They don't understand time or a clock. It's also why trying to force them into a sleep routine isn't recommended.

Their cries are very much needs based in this newborn age group...hungry, wet nappy, overtired, wind etc. As they get older they (generally) will start sleeping for longer as their tummies get bigger @ they can drink more though it still wouldn't be unusual for BF bub's to still wake up at least once overnight even when they're older.

The cluster feeding in the early hours could be exactly that...cluster feeding to try to bring more milk in or comfort sucking etc. Hard to know from this side of the fence.

You could also call the Breastfeeding Association for advice/guidance if you're unsure of things.

Hang in there Luv...it does get better (usually) with time...At the end of the day, you must do what you feel is best for bub😊
    Last edited by BlondeinBrisvegas; 01-08-2015 at 17:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    how often do newborns who are bottle fed feed (in contrast to boob feeding every 2-3 hours) ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    how often do newborns who are bottle fed feed (in contrast to boob feeding every 2-3 hours) ?
    Every 3-4 hrs depending on age

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (01-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It depends on the baby but yes 2-3hrs at first as a guide for both breast and formula. The difference is that your breasts are supply v demand, as baby grows they need more milk so they go through patches of cluster feeding (feeding more frequently - eg hourly) which stimulates your breast to produce more milk. Some mums aren't aware this is what's happening and think something is wrong or their baby isn't getting enough milk - but it's totally normal.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mumsical For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (01-08-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (01-08-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (01-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I mixed fed when DS was 4 weeks old, but it wasn't about him sleeping through, it was about DH giving DS a bottle of formula so I was able to get a decent block of sleep and not totally lose the plot. I would go to bed at 8pm, DH would bottle-feed DS at around 10/11pm and I would do the next feed at 12/1am. Those 4+ hours of solid sleep were the difference between me coping or completely falling apart from exhaustion.

It is a slippery slope though. For us, starting that bottle of formula was the death knell for BF. DS preferred the bottle and I struggled to express so he was fully FF by 8 weeks. Coincidently he started sleeping through by 12 weeks - bed at 7pm, next feed at 4am. But I think it's far more to do with his chilled out personality than being FF.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by torn13 View Post
    Thanks all for your honesty. I should know better than to listen to others but I guess when your tired opinions of others start to make sense.

Babyla my bub wakes about 3 times a night( feeds every 3 hours) for a feed but I am finding from 2am onwards he is waking every hour and I am having to resettle.
    As others have said, baby may be waking for other reasons than hunger. My ds2 is 6 weeks and he wakes every 2-3 hours for feeds but from about 3am onwards he's very unsettled, grunting, straining, crying out etc and I put it down to wind rather than hunger. Other people have told me their children often got unsettled around that time and it's just one of the times the digestive tract is more active. He's breastfed, I havnt got into the evening bottle yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bub was formula fed from birth and he was never a good sleeper until recently (now 8 months). Go with what you feel is best and know that eventually bub will get the hang of this sleeping thing. I remember crying when another mum told me that her baby slept 12 hours at night when I was lucky if mine slept 3 or 4 straight!