+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default mixed feeding newborns

Hi there

I have a breastfeed 4 week old who is not a great sleeper. I have had a few people suggest to me that I should give my little one formula at night as he will sleep longer.

Has anyone had success with mixed feeding?

Thanks very much.

Paula

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default mixed feeding newborns

First of all - you do what you feel is best. No-one on here knows enough about all he ins and outs of your circumstances to know what's best. That's your call.

Now onto business. I'm calling BS on what your friends have said. What a load of rot. Most 4 week olds don't 'sleep through' regardless of what the parents do. Breast it formula is not 'the' deciding factor on whether or not a bub sleeps through. Sleeping through is a complex issue - room temp, bedding, day routine, night routine, if bub is aided to sleep, bubs size, medical issues (reflux etc) and god knows what else are all contributing factors. A bub be inn formula fed is no guarantee of a sleep through. And a bub being breastfeed is no guarantee of night wakings.

My boys were fully breastfed at 4 months. My eldest was sleeping through at that point - He was a big bub perhaps that's why. Or perhaps it was the routine we were on. Who knows.

Chances are at 4 weeks bub is going through a growth spurt and may need more boob feeds in the evening - this is normal and ok. If you wanted to exclusively breastfeed there's plenty of things you can do to help bub sleep through.

Even if a night formula feed was a guaranteed sleep though (pffftttttt!) are you sure you want to risk your milk supply for a quick fix when chances are in 4
    Months or so (when solids are on the menu) with a bit of tweaking to settling habits bub could be sleeping through anyway?

Good luck whatever you do!

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (01-08-2015),dollypops  (01-08-2015),JustJaq  (01-08-2015),LittleBug'sMum  (01-08-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (01-08-2015),Ruby_Tuesday15  (01-08-2015),smallpotatoes  (01-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So many people say that but it's just not true! I mixed fed my ds1 mainly to give me a break in the evening and my dh would give ds a bottle so j could have a few hours sleep in one go. Some days it would be expressed milk but often it was formula. Made absolutely no difference to how long he slept. I'm lucky that I have a good milk supply so it never caused me any probs and I really appreciated the break but at 4 weeks it's unlikely he's going to sleep through the night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Babies are meant to wake for feeds. Whether they are formula fed or breastfed has nothing to do with it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

Ruby_Tuesday15  (01-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That really is up to you.

Some people very strongly about exclusively breastfeeding and some don't.

My understanding is that formula makes their bodies work harder digesting so they sleep longer.

My personal opinion is that I wouldn't. If I had issues with breastfeeding, supply issues then I would use formula no problems whatsoever, but simply as a convenience makes me feel uneasy.

Good luck

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

Chillies  (01-08-2015),VicPark  (01-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I mix fed for other reasons and then fully formula fed from 10weeks and my baby doesn't sleep through.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Currently mix feeding. No truth to it here. At 4 weeks bubs are meant to wake regularly for feeds. How often is it happening? Maybe Bub hasn't worked out day from night yet? My DD was waking every 2 hours and last night she only woke twice and I think it's because she's starting to swap her days to nights.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (01-08-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (01-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My babies were formula fed. The bags under my eyes are calling BS too.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (01-08-2015),Mamasupial  (01-08-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (01-08-2015),Ruby_Tuesday15  (01-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have to address this though, use formula for whatever reason you like, it's your decision.

Last night I couldn't be ar$ed trying to get DD to latch properly, I definitely couldn't be ar$ed pumping in a coldish room so I used formula because it was more convenient for me at the time.

If you want to try it for convenience, then that's ok too OP.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (01-08-2015),nh2489  (01-08-2015),Wise Enough  (01-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all for your honesty. I should know better than to listen to others but I guess when your tired opinions of others start to make sense.

Babyla my bub wakes about 3 times a night( feeds every 3 hours) for a feed but I am finding from 2am onwards he is waking every hour and I am having to resettle.