+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    @Moxy I think you're stressing about nothing. In all my years of kids at schools I've never had an issue with one of my kids not being able to go to the toilet when they need to. What I think @BigRedV is talking about are specific situations where teachers get to know the kids who look for reasons to leave the classroom rather than genuinely needing to use the toilet. There are often two bells to end lunch and give kids an opportunity to use the toilet. I've seen the kids lined up outside the room and the teacher will usually remind them to go. Most do. It's handled pretty well by teachers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    @Moxy I think you're stressing about nothing. In all my years of kids at schools I've never had an issue with one of my kids not being able to go to the toilet when they need to. What I think @BigRedV is talking about are specific situations where teachers get to know the kids who look for reasons to leave the classroom rather than genuinely needing to use the toilet. There are often two bells to end lunch and give kids an opportunity to use the toilet. I've seen the kids lined up outside the room and the teacher will usually remind them to go. Most do. It's handled pretty well by teachers.
    I agree. If you are worried t as lo to your childs teachers. If they know that they have trouble holding or could need to again after only a few minutes. Than they will accommodate them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I wouldn't say I'm stressed, just perplexed by it. But I'm sure that'll be the case for lots of things when my kids start school. Little things like this that I never think about and then kind of go "what the?" when I come across it. I'm not worried, I'm sure it won't be an issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    At my DDs old school the kids were not allowed to go to the toilet whenever they needed. It was very, very strict. From grade 1 the rule comes in that they're only allowed to the toilet during break times, and only during the 'play' portion. My DD got in trouble because she went to the toilet during the 'eating' part of lunch. She'd held on all class time and then bolted to the toilet when they were let out for lunch and got in trouble from the teacher for not waiting til the 'play' time.

They also had a problem with toilets getting closed off at lunch due to problematic behaviour occurring, and the one toilet block left had to service the entire school so there wasn't enough time for all the kids to go as there'd be queues. Then they weren't allowed to do during class time.

It was unreal. Every single day at least one child wet themselves in our grade. Parents complained and nothing changed.

We ended up changing schools (for other reasons) and and our new school is totally relaxed about it. Such a nicer environment for kids.

Its definitely worth asking about the school's toilet policy when looking around. I've learnt that some of the simplest things such as toilet policies, and lunchtime play policies can make a big difference to a child's anxiety about school.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (02-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm still gobsmacked a few hours later! I had no idea.

Imagine being a parent of a child with toileting issues/medical or otherwise, that had take from toddler to school age to overcome - then to start school and have all that work undone by such a bizarre and horrible set of rules.
    Like modern kids don't have enough to stress about already!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    I wouldn't say I'm stressed, just perplexed by it. But I'm sure that'll be the case for lots of things when my kids start school. Little things like this that I never think about and then kind of go "what the?" when I come across it. I'm not worried, I'm sure it won't be an issue.
    Maybe stressed wasn't the right word then. It's just something (one of many things) that just happen at school and kids figure it out.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Moxy  (02-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This is something I do worry about, not much but when threads pop like this makes me worried that pedos hide in toilets.my school has detached blocks which are pretty close to main gate. The teachers don't like loo breaks in class but will let the kids go with a buddy system. Really we are sending our kids off to school for 6hours a day and putting our kids in the trust of the teachers. I personally trust them completely and just hope for the best