+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Kindy and pre-primary, at least, in the school my child currently goes to have toilets in the classroom for the children to use at any time, there is no leaving the room. I much prefer this to having my 4yr old wandering the school grounds in search of a toilet!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    I definitely understand the concerns regarding security issues.

However if you read the Continence Foundations guidelines for "Healthy Bladder, Healthy Bowel" in primary school children - they don't agree with with structured toilet time and state that children should be allowed to use the toilet when need due to the risk of bladder damage from holding on. You also shouldn't be going to the toilet "just in case" (because there's not going to be a toilet break for another hour etc) when you don't actually need to as that will increase frequency with urinating.

Definitely open for exploitation by those children who don't actually need to go every 45 minutes and just want to muck around and can also be frustrating when someone needs the toilet 10 minutes after everyone else just used the toilet - but you really don't want to go messing with children's bladders.

[/url]
    I have a child that needs to go and needs to go now even as a teenager. He needs to often.

I made sure I let the school know and remind them that he never to be told he must wait for a scheduled break. I backed with a letter from his Dr. I never had problem with a teacher trying to over rule me on this issue.

If worried about your chat their teacher .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    The thought of my kindergartner walking around an empty schoolyard with gates that aren't locked gives me the heebie jeebies and would **** me off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phony View Post
    Thanks for the link Meredith.

I don't have a solution.
    I'd leave that to the schools to figure out.
    Having toilets outdoors is new to me.
    Back home all toilets were in the school building and if you were found at the toilets at any time other than the timed break, you'd be sure to run in to the principal or another teacher doing the rounds and be questioned.
    So the chance of something like this happening is vastly reduced.
    This pervert saw an easy target and went for it.
    Who knows who he is but I would take a guess he is familiar with the school in some way.
    Just say this becomes a thing and there's a couple of more attempts, or *touch wood* an abduction.
    What will those schools that are vulnerable propose as a solution then?
    Carry on as normal? I'd hope not.
    Anyway.
    It's just brought up concerns for me because of what I've observed in our own school. :/
    I hate sounding like a worrier. Turning in to my mother! haha
    Whilst it is disturbing, we need to remember that it is well documented that child predators know their victims in vast majority of cases.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (01-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    The thought of my kindergartner walking around an empty schoolyard with gates that aren't locked gives me the heebie jeebies and would **** me off.
    Take a big deep breath VicPark. There are going to be many things that aren't perfect once your kids are at school but you come to realise you can't control everything and they are still fine. Either that or you go insane worrying. I know what my choice is.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (01-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My kids school is old so toilets are outside in a separate building to the classrooms. Gates are shut, but not locked during school hours. Kids go to the toilet when they need to, but they take another child from the class with them. Safety in numbers without disrupting the whole class. It's not a perfect system, but the best they can do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do schools really lock gates? Wouldn't this be against evacuation policies?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We don't lock gates, but we evacuate to a spot within school grounds, so it wouldn't make a difference. During an evac, there would be 100+ staff, all with keys to open the gates so it wouldn't be a total mess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    Our don't. The prep and pre prep areas have pool gates. So not locked as such but kids can't get out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    The public school my girls used to attend and my son attends locks the rear and side gates as a few kids with behavioural problems have run away from school. Evacuation is on the oval which isn't locked.