+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Facebook question

Do people who aren't friends that search for you come up in your "people you may know" feed?

The strangest thing happened to me today. But of a long story.

So, I used to live in London from 2001-2005. Between September 2001-July 2002, I was teaching a year 4 class. There was a South African girl on the other year 4 class. We became good friends and ended up travelling through Europe in the summer of 2002 together. She moved on to a different school but we kept in touch. Eventually we lost touch but I have thought about her often.

Anyway, she popped into my head the other day. I wondered if she's married, kids etc. I didn't try searching for her on Facebook as assumed she was married. I had tried years ago to find her but no luck. So today, she came up in my "people you may know" section and I was so shocked. We don't have mutual friends so I wonder how she came into my people you may know section. Does that mean she has searched for me? I didn't change my name when I married.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I often wonder about FBs rules when it comes to this. Do you have the school you worked at in your employment info? I've had an ex pop up in mine and I know for a fact we don't have mutual friends nor a similar workplace, but I did Google him once (because come on, who doesn't?!) and that's the only link I can think of. I often get ads on my FB feed for stuff I've googled or online shopping etc. They really do take a crazy amount of information.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (31-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I know, I get really spun out sometimes. One of my husband's colleagues came up in my people you may know section and he's not even friends with my husband on Facebook.

I don't put any info on fb like past and current employment, etc. although I did once search for the school I worked at in London. Maybe she has the school listed and that's how it came up? Who knows.

Thanks for responding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have often wondered this too.

How's this for weird. I have my real FB account and a joke one. The joke one has about 30 friends and i post infrequently. I have never used FB on a work computer. I once had a work client pop up as a person that my joke FB profile may know. HOW did this happen? She couldn't have searched for that profile. I hadn't searched for that client. She only had about 10 friends. How did FB know i may know her??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I've had that happen too. Old friends I haven't heard from in years and haven't searched for suddenly popping up....
    I wonder- are you using the same email address for your FB as you would have given your friend back when you were in touch? My theory is that although I've long since deleted their emails from my address book, I probably still have emails from them in folders in my email- FB might be able to connect with my email and get a connection through that in some way hence them appearing in the 'people you may know' section. It's just a theory, but the best one I've got for now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you use FB on your phone it might look at your contacts. I'm guessing they get some links that way too. I've had some people pop up in that feed before and thought how on earth they got there!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Ok I just had a look at the people and fb suggested a girl at works husband.
    The girl at work doesn't have Facebook so couldn't have connected our workplace. And it's her husband? That is so bazaar
    Eta: I have never messaged this person or have his number in my phone. I have never even met him, I just know his name because the girl at work mentioned it.
    Last edited by Mod-Zeddie; 01-08-2015 at 09:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep I had a similar experience and figured it must have somehow linked into my email address book or phone numbers.. Like random contacts from backpacking adventures..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Makes you wonder if they pick up on things said via the microphone or something..
    I know I've talked about a certain product or bought something before (without anything about them typed into phone) and they've popped up in ads on fb. Go figure!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've experienced this too. I think it has something to do with emails or phone contacts as my accountant and an architect who did some work for us once came up as people I might know. A lot of very random contacts have appeared in mine.