+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Lost plug after internal exam?

Hi all,

Bit of a TMI question for you all.

First a bit of background. I'm 37+3 with twins and had an internal examination at my obstetrician yesterday.

It hurt a lot more than I was expecting (I was expecting mild discomfort like you feel with a Pap smear - this was seriously sore to the point that I was actually shouting out 'ow ow ow ow!) and I had quite a bit of bleeding immediately afterwards, as soon as I sat up.

The bleeding slowed down yesterday and early this morning I had some browish old blood clots about the size of a 5cm piece.

A bit later today and I seem to have lost my mucus plug. Based on this, I'm wondering if my doctor actually did a stretch and sweep?

My questions for all you wise ladies are:

* how soon after losing your plug did you go into labour?

* did you find standard internal exams painful when not in labour?

* if you had a stretch and sweep, did your doctor spell out that this was what they would be doing ahead of time?

I should point out, I have no issue of it was actually a stretch and sweep, my doctor is awesome and I trust him totally, and I will ask him when I see him again next week too, I just wanted to get some opinions. I will also make sure he knows (if it was a stretch and sweep) that I want this detail before he does it for any procedures like that.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Lost plug after internal exam?

Not long to go until your babies arrive, yay! It does sound like your OB gave you a stretch and sweep instead. I've had an internal that never hurt but my stretch and sweep was extremely painful and caused some bleeding.
    I can't help with any of the other stuff, my first was a 3 day induction and the other 3 girls were c/s.

Just to add I was told in detail when I was having a stretch and sweep.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

MrsA2B  (01-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My ob told me she was going to do an internal and see if I was dilated. It wasn't until after it was done and I asked whether I should get a stretch and sweep that she said "oh that was a stretch and sweep". Apparently because I was already 2 cms dilated she just continued with the stretch and sweep. I didn't care either way so it didn't bother me. It didn't hurt as such but was definitely uncomfortable and I started loosing my plug that night. Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

MrsA2B  (01-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds like you had a stretch and sweep. I had one with DD3, but my ob told me that she would be doing it beforehand. She also explained that it may be a little uncomfortable or painful.

It didn't make me go into labour as I was only 37 weeks and was getting induced in two days due to a small baby, she did it to see if it kicked things off.

I didn't find any exams prior to or during labour to be painful either.

Good luck with the upcoming birth of your babies!
    Last edited by amazonbaby; 31-07-2015 at 17:13.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to amazonbaby For This Useful Post:

MrsA2B  (01-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all, just an update, I had another appointment today and he said it was 'sort of' a stretch and sweep that he'd given me - the reason it was so uncomfortable was because my cervix was still quite high at that point, but it worked as I lost my plug etc.

He did another one today and it took about 20 seconds and was only slightly uncomfortable, probably because I'm more effaced and about 1-2cm dilated.

Thanks for your opinions!