+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default TMI warning - Green poos

My 9 month old DS has been having green, frequent poos for the past week and a half. Some solid-ish consistency, some watery diarrhea.

I have taken him to the Dr, and she is not too concerned about it. She said if it continues for 2 weeks to bring him back. He currently has a virus - Dr thinks adenovirus - which involves a phlemmy cough, sore throat, ear that's a bit inflamed, conjunctivitis, and runny frequent poos. He's otherwise mostly happy enough, but does have some grizzly periods, more than usual.

I think the Dr said that the virus may have given him a temporary lactose intolerance, which might be causing the green poos, and if they continue, he might need to go lactose-free for a few weeks, and it should resolve.

Has anyone had any experience with something like this?

By way of background, he's 9 months, has mostly had breast milk, but I have been introducing formula (Bellamy's Organic) and am in the process of weaning. I started the formula about 2 months ago (one bottle per day, now on 2 or 3 bottles per day), and he didn't seem to have any issues with it being introduced. He's on solids, and is generally a good eater, but hasn't been eating much while he's been sick (will usually eat Weetbix, and a little bit of fruit eg banana, but not much else). He's had a few isolated green poos in the past, but nothing much.

If we do have to go lactose free for a while, does anyone know of a good lactose-free formula to try?

Will he have to stop having breastmilk? I am not planning to stop eating lactose - too hard!

Would love to hear if anyone has any experience with something like this to share. Thanks in advance

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    If he has been sick then he could be swallowing a lot of mucus. Or panadol can cause diarrhea. I know when my ds is sick that he needs to bf more and it gives him a lot of comfort so personally I wouldn't stop. I have never heard of a temporary lactose intolerance. :what:

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (31-07-2015)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Also adenovirus can cause diarrhea?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Adenovirus can cause all of those symptoms or just a few.
    GP can test for it.
    We all got adenovirus last year. We got conjunctivitis. .high fevers...nasty nasty cough.
    We all tested positive.
    It depends where the virus invades you if you get what i mean.
    And we were sick for weeks. So it could be that? ?!!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (31-07-2015),JustJaq  (31-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS had a temporary lactose intolerance around 5-7 months as a result of rotavirus which damaged his stomach lining. He was only breastfed at the time with a small amount of solids. Even if you eat lactose free your breastmilk will still have lactose as it's naturally occurring rather than being the result of what you eat (unlike cows milk protein). On the advice of a paed we got lacteeze drops from the pharmacy - you express a little first to mix with the drops and give bub that just prior to feeding. It still took a while to improve but the drops seemed to speed up the process. You could probably also add this to bub's regular formula if you didn't want to change the formula.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misstrouble For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (31-07-2015),JustJaq  (31-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. Yes, the diarrhea could well be just the virus. I'll definitely be guided by the GP on whether to worry about it or not. I think she just mentioned temporary lactose intolerance as a possibility when I pressed her about what the green poos were all about. I think she thinks that its probably just as a result of the virus too, and should sort itself out. Fingers crossed. I just have a feeling I'll be taking him back next week to ask what we should do next, and wanted to see what other people's experience was with this.

I have heard of temporary lactose intolerance. Even adults can get it. Like PP said, your stomach lining or intestines etc can get inflamed after you've been sick, and it can take a little while to be able to digest lactose again I think.
    @AdornedWithCats, DS drinks my expressed breast milk, rather than breastfeeds (we never got breastfeeding sorted - inverted nipples), so we don't have that emotional 'comfort' element of breastfeeding directly. I think all bottles are the same to him! I don't think he really notices a difference between EBM and formula... for better or worse! After 9 months, I'm kinda done expressing, and am in the process of cutting down now and moving onto formula. I don't think I can face increasing expressing again! I would though, if the Dr said it was worthwhile..
    @misstrouble, thanks so much for the info about Lacteez - I hadn't heard of that. If we need to go lactose free for a bit, I'll ask the Dr about this. Thanks for the info about lactose in breastmilk too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump for anyone else's experience?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default TMI warning - Green poos

My dd had the temporary green poos from 4-6mths. I was fully bf. I hand expressed 50 mls out of each boob in the morning to remove the foremilk and it reduced the poos by about half. Then it stopped altogether when she started solids and still bf 3-4 hrly in the day
    Last edited by Kazza78; 01-08-2015 at 14:10.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazza78 For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (01-08-2015)