+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Broken sleep exhaustion??

Dd2 is 13 months and comes into our bed around 10pm or whenever I go to bed. She sleeps ok but feeds frequently and lately I've been finding it harder to get to sleep myself at night but I feel so tired. I'm usually in bed 10-7. Just trying to figure out if it's taking longer than I realise to get to sleep or if it's this long term broken sleep or something else?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Freyamum For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (31-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think you have lots of other underlying issues that's upsetting you. Yes the broken sleep sucks but that in itself isn't too bad in itself as it's 9hrs broken sleep.

I think you are generally unhappy with how things are in your life and that's getting you down.

You might have depression I think.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I think you have lots of other underlying issues that's upsetting you. Yes the broken sleep sucks but that in itself isn't too bad in itself as it's 9hrs broken sleep.

I think you are generally unhappy with how things are in your life and that's getting you down.

You might have depression I think.

How did you come to the conclusion the OP's unhappy with her life and has depression??? WTF??

It could be for any number of reasons this is happening that have nothing to do with depression etc!!

OP, could it be that due to the frequent feeding that you have subconsciously gotten used to frequent waking through the night to do it and your body clock is out of whack so trying to go to sleep with the expectation that you'll have to be waking up in x-amount of time could be in fact, keeping you awake if that makes any sense??

Obviously, if there are things in your life happening that are playing on your mind for whatever reason, that's going to stop you getting to sleep too. Being overtired yourself can also make it harder to fall asleep.

Can you try some relaxation techniques when you go to bed with bub to try to calm your mind in the hopes of drifting off?? A bit of mind meditation or something?? Am sure the internet will have apps/ideas of things to try as will other posters who reply to this thread.

Or else take yourself off to your GP for a once over to make sure your iron levels, thryroid etc are all ok and there's no medical reason as such that could be causing or contributing to this issue. you can resolve it asap

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (01-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlondeinBrisvegas View Post
    How did you come to the conclusion the OP's unhappy with her life and has depression??? WTF??

It could be for any number of reasons this is happening that have nothing to do with depression etc!!
    Because the OP has started a few threads about trying to organize her life and spoken of feelings of frustration.

Trying to give a different look to it and at the same time being supportive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Because the OP has started a few threads about trying to organize her life and spoken of feelings of frustration.

Trying to give a different look to it and at the same time being supportive.

Ok...I thought it could be possible there was more of a backstory...Fair enough.

I didn't imply you weren't being supportive just wanted to understand how you'd drawn the conclusion so thank-you for clarifying😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlondeinBrisvegas View Post
    Ok...I thought it could be possible there was more of a backstory...Fair enough.

I didn't imply you weren't being supportive just wanted to understand how you'd drawn the conclusion so thank-you for clarifying😊
    I think I did have mild pnd but coming out of. Life is just hectic with 3 and no family in the country or even same Timezone! I'm on thyroid replacement therapy as had it taken out few years ago so just musing as to whether need to see dr about having dose tweaked or if mostly this is broken sleep issues. I'm trying to make sure there is no tv or iphone before bed but have bath instead. I felt better last 2 days but gees I'm tired around 6pm and grumpy! I think it's just 24/7 kids and then too much to do when they go to bed makes me feel so jaded. Might get dr to check iron and thyroid again though as both can be issues for me

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freyamum For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (01-08-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (01-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @Freyamum. Just want to send you some hugs. I often feel so exhausted that I don't even have the energy to shower myself, bath the baby, get my older children to tidy their room- I had a look at some of your older posts and we are similar. I have a 7 yo DD, 5yo DS, and a surprise baby, similar to you.

My baby is not a good sleeper either and some days I just feel completely hopeless that I will ever feel normal again. I just feel like a domestic slave most days.

What helps me is getting a calendar and booking in times for my hubbie to do things with the children so I get a break. It gives me something to look forward to and stops that "never ending slave to the house and the children" feeling.

Sometimes I might use my time to have a long bath, shave my legs, moisturise, paint my nails, just do silly pampering things that I never do when I'm on mum duty.

Other times I just hop into bed with a hot chocolate and read a book. In the middle of the day!! Or sleep!!

I try to nap 3-4 times per week during the day when my older kids are at school and my baby is napping. I feel so much better for having had that little catch up after the broken sleep at night.

Anyway. Probably not much help but just wAnt to give you a shout out and let you know you aren't alone.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to made2bAmummy For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (01-08-2015),Freyamum  (01-08-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by made2bAmummy View Post
    Hi @Freyamum. Just want to send you some hugs. I often feel so exhausted that I don't even have the energy to shower myself, bath the baby, get my older children to tidy their room- I had a look at some of your older posts and we are similar. I have a 7 yo DD, 5yo DS, and a surprise baby, similar to you.

My baby is not a good sleeper either and some days I just feel completely hopeless that I will ever feel normal again. I just feel like a domestic slave most days.

What helps me is getting a calendar and booking in times for my hubbie to do things with the children so I get a break. It gives me something to look forward to and stops that "never ending slave to the house and the children" feeling.

Sometimes I might use my time to have a long bath, shave my legs, moisturise, paint my nails, just do silly pampering things that I never do when I'm on mum duty.

Other times I just hop into bed with a hot chocolate and read a book. In the middle of the day!! Or sleep!!

I try to nap 3-4 times per week during the day when my older kids are at school and my baby is napping. I feel so much better for having had that little catch up after the broken sleep at night.

Anyway. Probably not much help but just wAnt to give you a shout out and let you know you aren't alone.
    Thanks for this message it always helps to feel like someone else out there gets it! What a great idea scheduling time for yourself. I think because it's so busy and I haven't family I could just drop in on even making plans to meet people so I get time out seems too much hard work but just setting aside me time at home would be a brilliant start. Going back to bed with a book now that is a fab idea!! Definitely going to schedule me time bizarrely I was thinking I'd like to bake some sweet but healthy(ish) snacks to freeze but I find too hard on top of normal meals... Might start me time tomorrow with a couple of hours baking and tasting 😊 Bubs day sleeps are inconsistent so I tend to rush around doing stuff but thinking I'm going to do alternative nap days where I just read or sleep or something simple for me but just not let myself feel guilty and keep thinking I should be doing xyz...

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Freyamum For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (01-08-2015),made2bAmummy  (01-08-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (01-08-2015)