+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I live 20 mins out of town and works for us. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. The drive home with my son is nice decompression time and we chat. I love listening to the radio and driving into town. That's just me though.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (31-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulK View Post
    I was in a similar situation and opted to move further out for a larger and better home. It increased my daily commute from 1.5 hours to 2 hours, we can no longer walk into town to the cafes and shops, and we are further away from the city too. On the plus side we got a flat block with lots of extra space for veggies chooks etc, the house has a better floor plan and is larger and newer, and we are closer to farmland and wineries!

I think the biggest thing to think about is the extra costs of selling and buying, it really adds up and can really eat into any savings you make by getting a cheaper property. Think general moving costs, plus potential mortgage discharge fees, new home loan costs and LMI of that applies too. One thing I wish I'd done first is rent a place first in the new area before making any final decisions about selling and buying. Probably would have still ended up roughly where we are now but it would have given me good info about the area and I would have been better informed about property values and the good/not so good parts of town.
    Yes every time you buy or sell you are wasting money. In Victoria the stamp duty is hideous and you will never see that again.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (31-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    Yes every time you buy or sell you are wasting money. In Victoria the stamp duty is hideous and you will never see that again.
    Exactly this. We want to move but it's not worth it. Stamp duty for houses in our price range is around 16-17k, it's crazy. Plus agent fees etc we would lose so much

6. The Following User Says Thank You to yadot For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (31-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yadot View Post
    Exactly this. We want to move but it's not worth it. Stamp duty for houses in our price range is around 16-17k, it's crazy. Plus agent fees etc we would lose so much
    I think that is why we aren't jumping at a mediocre house. It has to be something that we'll be happy with for some time. We've budgeted $50k for expenses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Any thoughts on this part:

Here's the next question - would you continue to make offers on a house that you can't reach the asking price on? It was taken off the market as no one else offered asking price and then raised another $50k? (I will delete this part later). It's now under a real estate that is notorious for raising prices ridiculously and then having houses sit there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another though re kids and school friends 20mins could mean they don't get invited ( or can't have ) friends over to play etc

Quote Originally Posted by Little Ted View Post
    Any thoughts on this part:

Here's the next question - would you continue to make offers on a house that you can't reach the asking price on? It was taken off the market as no one else offered asking price and then raised another $50k? (I will delete this part later). It's now under a real estate that is notorious for raising prices ridiculously and then having houses sit there.
    Hell no, obviously it was over priced to begin with. Why would they raise the price again!!
    In saying that what are comparable properties selling for?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    Another though re kids and school friends 20mins could mean they don't get invited ( or can't have ) friends over to play etc

Hell no, obviously it was over priced to begin with. Why would they raise the price again!!
    In saying that what are comparable properties selling for?
    I haven't been able to locate the price of the one most important to this one's price - they haven't released it publicly.
    Our offer is between the two prices properties have had as asking prices though.
    Agents have to fight for properties here though so they tell owners a high price to secure it. Unfortunately about 50% of the time someone will pay it and push all prices up as a consequence.

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.onthehouse.com.au/

Have you seen this site before

12. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (31-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. There's also one called sold price that we also check. Onthehouse has our house really over estimated by at least $50k with it's bottom figure!

I am interested in who makes the estimates or informs the estimates on these homes. Or is it computer generated? Our house price on this site used to be realistic and then about a month ago it jumped ridiculously - didn't know if someone had made it do it or not. We haven't touched it or had a valuation done in years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by blissfulfairy View Post
    This.

Without traffic maybe. I used to have 2 hours of travel time a day and that was only getting from home in Woodcroft to city.

Travel time makes a huge difference.
    I guess it depends on time your leaving too. DH left super early because of being tradesman so arrived at work at 5:30 to park on peacock road.

Is there a train near you? Or where you want to buy etc? I also think it's important to look at your mortgage etc as would you be able to afford it if you lost your job and went on Centrelink for a period of time or income protection etc. we can because ours is $250pw we are lucky in that aspect!